TOURNAMENT 8 - GAME DISCUSSION

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

The TJT wrote: What is the best character to choose at DD?
for those cheesy fighter players (unlike bbh and like me :) i like dulton, lots of distance attacks of course you have to time well, but i haven't really explored all of them.

and as for the brawl debate, the voter (qrs) said shocktroopers was a "beatem[]up" up so i sort of lumped it in the same brawl group, i did forget it was more of a shootemup than beatemup... but i seem to have a different definition of some game classes, yeah at least it doesn't have to be detabed since it's #20.

I was expecting at least one game where we would have to restrict the settings but it looks like all of these games have good competative default settings, of course destructor usually proves default settings aren't enought but we will see. I'm afraid there's a leeching advantage in leprechaun but i'm realy too unfamiliar with this game to change the game play. Kelly do you see any spots in Leprechaun where it would allow leechers to gain advantages?
-skito
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

The TJT wrote:Kelly's recording playbacked fine.)

[nods] I tried this a while back as a test and it worked, so I gave my best and uploaded. Nowhere near BBH's skill, but not that bad :)

Kelly
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

Chad wrote: Kelly do you see any spots in Leprechaun where it would allow leechers to gain advantages?

[ROTFLMAO] [Pees Pants]

Oh that's a good one Chad! Leeching in Leprechaun... that's as amusing as someone releasing a NEW kind of M&M's called W&W's, but finding out it's the same thing, just upside down.

There's no way possibly to leech that game... roam around and try to max points on the level? Yeah, but that little bugger doesn't let it happen much... and the further you go..... that little bastard hits light speed and you're essentially just aiming to end the level as opposed to anything else.. as you can see in my blah recording [compared to the current #1 slot]

Kelly

[Mikie on the other hand... now THERE's leeching issues]
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

The TJT wrote:2. doubledr ...special rules say: "VERSION TO USE : you must use mame34 if you want your input to playback " Is it still like this...?
Special rules updated
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Chad wrote: I'm afraid there's a leeching advantage in leprechaun but i'm realy too unfamiliar with this game to change the game play. Kelly do you see any spots in Leprechaun where it would allow leechers to gain advantages?

I don't see why someone couldn't leech indefinitely at open screens -screens without walls.
Just tried some leeching at...I think it was screen 4. Leperechaun didn't get any faster. Trees slowdown speed of lepr...just run from right to left and let him follow you, he will change trees back and you can get bonus from trees again. I leeched for some time, then I found a line where are no trees running from left to right....lepr speed was same than "mine"...kept running left-right straight line, locked the left button...after 30 minutes lepr speed was still same.

So leprechaun doesn't get faster with time spend leeching at same screen. I don't know if it's points that make him faster...but propably it's how far at game you get.

At some stage lepr does get ultra fast, at that point I expect most players lose rest of remaining lives allmost immediately. If you stay at those open screens long time and leech -you'll win players that don't do same.

It's hard to tell when someone is leeching, or trying to get all trees "healthy".

If lepr gets faster because of points, there is no leeching problem. I'm afraid this not the case.

Thanks,
TJT
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yeah, the leeching here is possible but there's so little points gained by doing it that it could become boring but i still think it's possible. I guess i'll put in a special rule that games that attempt to leech more than X000 points coloring trees during a level will potentially be disqualified unless you are legitimatley trying to get the pot o gold full value or trying to complete the level... the leprechaun doesn't appear to get faster the more you tree colour.
-skito
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Don't underestimate Destructor´s leeching skills and especially the time he puts down to do it :=)
QRS
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Better to use Pot Of Gold instead of Leprechaun which takes over half an hour before it even starts to become a challenge and that's even if you head straight for the pot every screen ignoring the trees. In any case I think I can say goodbye to another 4 year old record at MARP :(.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yeah potogold is clearly more difficult, thanks gaz, since it's still good with wolf80 i think we'll do that, so wolf80 will be used for all games. I think we'll still have a 10 second level completion limit, but I tried tree colouring that on the 2nd level and eventually the little bugger catches up to you with potogold.
-skito
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Chad wrote:I think we'll still have a 10 second level completion limit,
This is not Time Trial. If there are problems then change game. T8 is for points not for time.
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

destructor wrote:
This is not Time Trial. If there are problems then change game. T8 is for points not for time.
We are actually trying to avoid leeching and 10 hour long inps here ;)
QRS
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

QRS wrote:
destructor wrote:
We are actually trying to avoid leeching and 10 hour long inps here ;)
Destructor and QRS have quite a point, Chad...
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

QRS wrote: We are actually trying to avoid leeching and 10 hour long inps here ;)
Yes, I know. But where is pleasure from playing if I must play with clock in hand?
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

destructor wrote:
QRS wrote: We are actually trying to avoid leeching and 10 hour long inps here ;)
Yes, I know. But where is pleasure from playing if I must play with clock in hand?
Well, I don´t think a clock is neccesary..use your common sense and stop after a short time. If you can´t do that, you need a clock that´s for sure :)

Chad:If a game is too tough to set rules on etc. like time limits/leeching rules... maybe we could pick the next game on the list so to speak?

Just a suggestion.
QRS
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

QRS wrote:Chad:If a game is too tough to set rules on etc. like time limits/leeching rules... maybe we could pick the next game on the list so to speak?
Agree.