wrx2 ptrlr inp

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Crash
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Re: wrx2 ptrlr inp

Post by Crash »

Ah....point taken - thanks for letting me know what he's been doing. Yes, that is lame. Glad mine isn't.

I've cleared stacks of boards on mine, and was quite surprised how some of my scores got passed easily.

I've not found the version in an arcade that lets you get more than 2x9000 on screen1 (only if you get them together) and one more 9000 point fish on each level thereafter.

There's a technique to getting them - you either park next to the roller and they come in (easy) then after they turn away so you have to park one square further aay and time it right. The rolling back and forth confuses them and eventually they try to run and turn back into the roller. Even then after so many there is a limit and you can't get any more. Then you have to move onto the next level.

I'd agree the leeching you've pointed out is wrong and any scores with excessive points on stage 1 (over 35000) and over 76,000 on stage 2 indicate a faulty rom set and should be deleted. I only ever managed 100,000 by the end of stage 3 about 10 times or less.

The only ROM sets I'd compare them to is Make Trax and the Kural Esco version of Crush Roller (that's the Williams licensed version and the original).

Cheers,

Crash
Crash
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Crash »

You can (on the proper roms crush and maketrax) get 2x9000 on lev1, 2 on l2, and so on without rolling back on forth, but only on each stage if you get the last 2 together. If the game sticks to level 1 and scores points in attact mode it's just wrong. I've cleared almost 100 screens before on a proper arcade machine.

I might dig it back out and play without the roll technique (if I can remember how!) and just go for levels... :)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Chad wrote:bbh needs to make a ruling/start a poll, nibbler and wrx2 are clearly going against the "progress" rule. YOu need to show you can get 9000's on the faster levels.

(1) don't allow more than one 9000 score per level or DQUED
(2) don't allow any 9000 scores on early levels (1-3) or DQUED
(3) give multiplier bonus points for each level finished, 1=10000 2=20000 ..., so if you finish 3 levels you get 60000 bonus.
(N) etc....
don't change scoring...and #1 would totally take away the game as the game does naturally let you do 2 rollovers without any special rolling back-n-forth BS where one gets trapped/spastic in the middle of the roller...over and over.

higher levels, you can get four of the 9000s.

I suggest just capping it there....so they can even use the trick to get those 4 per level if they want even even build up to that on early levels if they want.

those able to play 50+ boards will still have them beat if they aren't good at clearing screens.

remember Mark L's comment? look on scoreboard for that....he confirms he is unable to roll over more than 4 on higher levels.

...so (2) might be ok here...cuz beyond those first 3 levels you won't be able to do what they are doing.
Last edited by LN2 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crash
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Crash »

Depends which romsets you mean - if it's only that one where people are getting silly points on screen 1, then fine.

I can assure you it's possible on the other sets Crush and Maketrax in particular to get more than 4 on the later levels. In fact some levels you'll get 6 just with them following you onto the roller and never backing away. Just turn and squash!

I just don't want to see an isue raised with the romsets where there IS actually a limit to the number you can get (be it 4,6,8 or whatever) as they don't come anywhere near the roller after x number have been killed. I mean level 15-20 and beyond though...

Crash
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Crash wrote:I just don't want to see an isue raised with the romsets where there IS actually a limit to the number you can get (be it 4,6,8 or whatever) as they don't come anywhere near the roller after x number have been killed.
true dat...but found that x number happens after at the 4th screen for most of the rom sets. I have not thoroughly tested that with all of the rom sets though.

another way to address this is perhaps no back-n-forth on roller more than twice without then exiting the roller area and clearing the screen. watch these questionable inps...at least one of them...maybe nibbler's.

they have a sit spot then go to a roller and go back-n-forth 5-10+ times before timing gets where 1 gets confused and doubles back for an easy rollover.

when I roll over, I am never going back-n-forth. if I ever do that it's out of desperation to survive...not to eech points...but I maybe do that once per 5 games I play.

yes, there still potentially is gray area here perhaps....but the 2 gamers techniques in question are so far beyond the gray area it's insane.

I think it might just come down to partial judgement but a "rule" as a guide stating any excessive leeching on a level potentially will be subject to DQ.

yes, on first level just with good timing you can work your way up to 9000s....tougher to do but also can do this on second level.

if you are playing 50-100+ screens though this matters little....extra 40-50k matters on first few level little when scoring 1-2+ million.

maybe something simple like limit of 100k/level is all we need.

those leechers can still get their 100k on first board but unless they can get where they play lots and lots of boardsthey won't be able to get 1+ million.
TER
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by TER »

I like the idea of maximum allowable scores per round (obviously variable on the round number), which might only need to be monitored for the first few rounds, after which most of the contentious scoring methods become much more difficult to maintain due to the increased speed, and more conventional scoring techniques will then need to be employed.

There also seems to be some debate about the "rolling back and forth to confuse" method. To me, leeching implies a limitless method of scoring which runs contrary to the design, spirit and "normal progress" of the game, so my vote is that it should be allowed as there is an absolute limit to its usefulness, beyond which you must move on - you simply can't crush more than ten enemies per round without them becoming so evasive that you can only resort to one of the disputable scoring methods to crush more in a single round.

On a related note, there seem to be two problematic clones...

"paintrlr" (Paint Roller) - a well-timed roll can crush an enemy going through the underpasses (i.e. perpendicular to the direction of the roller). It is obviously a design flaw, is normally exploited on the roller which moves vertically through the play area, and can be repeated indefinitely. An interesting corollary of which is that enemies can also get you via the same glitch if you're not pushing a roller.

"korosuke" (Korosuke Roller) - this clone is least like the others. Apart from controlling an odd looking squid instead of a brush, a teleport function has been introduced, not to be confused with the teleport holes which can be activated by dip switch settings. This allows you to lure an enemy toward you near a roller, then teleport behind both the enemy and the roller setting up a crush, which can also be repeated indefinitely. For examples of what I mean, check any of the current top three korosuke scores, which does also include one of mine, which I'm more than happy to have rejected if this mode of gameplay is deemed unfair, which I suspect it is.
Q. T. Quazar
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Q. T. Quazar »

After playing over at HARP, I'm increasingly convinced that we should move to a similar stage/score/time optional scoring method, valuing the skil to progress to greater difficulty over arbitrary points when necessary/appropriate.