samsho4

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

And as for the score very admirable to play at most difficutly but gotta have all recordings scored the same or then points would be worthless
Saying "all recordings scored the same" has nothing to do with difficulty. I was refering to the type of scoring (5 rounds vs 3) not the difficulty of scoring (if that's what you think i was). Sorry for the confusion.
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:Saying "all recordings scored the same" has nothing to do with difficulty. I was refering to the type of scoring (5 rounds vs 3) not the difficulty of scoring (if that's what you think i was). Sorry for the confusion.
And the Special Rules* for the game stipulate: "[2 rounds to win per fight]"

I fail to see how it could be any clearer.

* Although the rules were edited by Phil Lamat about an hour after I started this thread, the two-win per match stipulation was there previously - see Phil's Page
Last edited by Weehawk on Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

LN2 wrote:However, starting with less men and earning extra men less often is a harder setting. You could equally state that 5 fights to advance versus 3 or 2 is a harder setting as well....not a harder difficulty, but a harder setting.
You can just as easily state that it makes it easier too. Round 1 in a fight is no easier or harder than round 9. Because the number of rounds won is the basis for the scoring, is really should be kept the same for all players.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Weehawk wrote:And the Special Rules for the game stipulate: "[2 rounds to win per fight]"

I fail to see how it could be any clearer.
Yes, since Phil edited the special rules just YESTERDAY! :P
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

LN2 wrote:However, starting with less men and earning extra men less often is a harder setting. You could equally state that 5 fights to advance versus 3 or 2 is a harder setting as well....not a harder difficulty, but a harder setting.
I'm sorry Rick. I don't agree. Put this setting in 1/1 (1 round only for win) and you'll see it's harder than 3/3, because you'll have no error allowed for win. And 5/5 is little easier because you'll have much more error allowed for win a fight.

Just my two cents

Francois
Vansibel
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Vansibel »

I never tought this could go so out of control, so allow me to do some clarifications related to my intention surrounding this replay

Image A score of 180* would have been the absolute maximum for this game regarding the current rules (give you automatically 100 points), and which require to complete the game without a single lost. Since I knew I could do far beyond MARP expectation, I choosed to put five round per fight (I tried to only put them in a way to handicap me, meaning I would have to win 5 round per battle and the computer only one, but setting won't allow it. Then again, does it really matter in the case where computer wouldn't even win one round ?). If your using a rationnal judgement, choosing to win 45 fight in a row to attain the exact same score as someone who would win 18, it should be AT LEAST considered as result of similar value toward rules, not penalized for "disobeying order" . If you kill reason, then no rules is worth following anymore. If I was to loose even one round, I wouldn't have sent the replay. The fact that I initially sended a score of 450 when knowing that it would be edited to 180 probably created confusion.

Image I also choosed to put difficulty at it's highest level, not necessary for more challenge but because it's the default setting for me in that game. The idea itself of getting back to level 4 could probably give me a good challenge, if I was to play on keybord using my feet.

Image One last thing for facing higher difficulty, was to choose upper grade when selecting a character (which mean loosing his ability to block any attack). My choice also stopped on a character that I tought would be visually entertaining to watch (actually tried some nice motion, but mame don't run all that great on winXP with my current spec). If I was to rape computer in twice less time I would have taken a different character.

All those setting was NOT altered in any way to get a higher score regarding MARP specials rules (since it's limited to 180 and in the end, all what's beyond this will give you 100 points anyway) but personnal preference and satisfaction. The point is that I could acheive the highest possible score with the default setting anytime, and for me where there is no challenge, there is no point in trying. The fact that I'm using a version of mame that allow online gaming is to allow me to play fightings games the way it was meant to be, against humans opponents. But since I'm back to 56k, I guess this experience gave me some sort of entertainment.

-Vansibel

ImageBtw, thank's for the warm welcome Image
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Vansibel wrote:Image I also choosed to put difficulty at it's highest level, not necessary for more challenge but because it's the default setting for me in that game. The idea itself of getting back to level 4 could probably give me a good challenge, if I was to play on keybord using my feet.

Image One last thing for facing higher difficulty, was to choose upper grade when selecting a character (which mean loosing his ability to block any attack). My choice also stopped on a character that I tought would be visually entertaining to watch (actually tried some nice motion, but mame don't run all that great on winXP with my current spec). If I was to rape computer in twice less time I would have taken a different character.
Absolutely nothing wrong with using a higher difficulty as quoted above. The only real issue is using 10 round matches (5 to win) - you can look at it either way as to being easier or harder.

And you can probably just ignore Rick, I don't think he has much of a clue as to this game. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

mahlemiut wrote:And you can probably just ignore Rick, I don't think he has much of a clue as to this game. :)
Fixed it for you.
Vansibel wrote:I never tought this could go so out of control
You see, Rick Carter aka LN2 posted here. That's why. Just remember this when reading any of his posts:
LN2 wrote:I then assumed(incorrectly of course)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Vansibel wrote:I never tought this could go so out of control,
I didn't think anything was out of control.
The point is that I could acheive the highest possible score with the default setting anytime, and for me where there is no challenge, there is no point in trying
If many people were to score the max 180, a scoring system which adds a bonus for time could probably be implemented.

I don't think we have to worry about that for the time being. :wink:
The fact that I initially sended a score of 450 when knowing that it would be edited to 180 probably created confusion
Right. If you had submitted the score as 180 and pointed out in the description that you chose five wins per match just to demonstrate your prowess I don't think anyone would have minded.

And I did finally get the correct MAME version and watch the whole recording. Well done.

One final suggestion. Although you are allowed to record with whatever version of MAME you desire, if you want others to be able to view your achievements it would be preferable if you used a more common, recent version like WolfMAME78
Btw, thank's for the warm welcome
I suspect sarcasm here, but I had meant it sincerely.

I'm sure you have a lot to contribute to the community.
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

mahlemiut wrote:And you can probably just ignore Rick, I don't think he has much of a clue as to this game. :)
of course...I really could give a crap about this game.

If the comments were more specific then I would have initially understood and not replied in this thread at all.

However, as noted above, I was commenting on what I misinterpreted as a blanket statement stating MARP policy in Chad's post.

I think this thread was never out of control either.