Mille Miglia 2: Great 1000 Miles Rally - error of score ?

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Mille Miglia 2: Great 1000 Miles Rally - error of score ?

Post by sawys »

Hi.

Actually a cup is on this game and i noticed that mickey@jvrm.net's score is not the good one if each time is counted.

I calcutate that he totalized 71.705 points and not 72.227 like actually apparead with the actual rule.

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... _game=1000

I don't try to playback his replay but it is here :
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/b/f/b/mi ... mame68.zip

Thank you for editing his score if i am correct cos i beat him but my score is under 72.227 but more than 71.705.

Maybe i will be better till march, the end of the jvrm's winter cup.
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i get

[273+965+268+58+104+45+78 = 1791]

for 71791

any other takers?

-----

site note, we should probably have a search through the confirmation log (or a link that downloads all confirmations at once (ziped of course)) so it would be easy to see who confirmed this :)
-skito
kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by kfx »

I get the same times as he states.

so : (187 + 965 + 268 + 58 + 104 + 45 + 78) = 1705

71.705 points.

Don´t agree with you Chad on the first lap, agree with sawys :D
storm

cpu : P4 3gzh
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

how the heck did i get 273... i disagree with myself then :)
-skito
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Speaking of this game, I've set up the Special Rules for the clone 'gtmr2u'. Let's see some recordings for this clone :)
Frankie
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Chad and others...no..you are seeing ALL of the above.

I saw and pointed out this issue with GTMR a year+ ago.

The problem is on playback a different enemy car layout is chosen by the game.

I had some replays where this meant sometimes it would playback to completion and other times a crash would result on the 3rd or 4th course that results in loss of sync versus the original gameplay.

Each time I played back replays in this game times can vary because of very slight differences in collisions with other cars that aren't where it makes you fail to complete the race...but a different model car interacted with leads to a slightly different time of completion.

That slight time shift then applies to all races beyond that.

There are only so many choices(like 3 or 4 I think) that can happen for the computer-opponent car models so with enough playbacks of a replay file you maybe can match what the original score was.

Try it with the above replay...play it back 5 times...see if you get exactly the same times each replay. I'd bet you don't.

The game should be archived IMHO until this can be corrected. I had runs that would have been good for 2nd place yet on playback most of the time wouldn't playback entirely or would fall short in times.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

very interesting, archiving might be a little harsh but it certainly makes acurate competition difficult. having a bad week, figured i really did just see it wrong, still could have :)
-skito
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

LN2 wrote:Chad and others...no..you are seeing ALL of the above.

I saw and pointed out this issue with GTMR a year+ ago.

The problem is on playback a different enemy car layout is chosen by the game.

I had some replays where this meant sometimes it would playback to completion and other times a crash would result on the 3rd or 4th course that results in loss of sync versus the original gameplay.

Each time I played back replays in this game times can vary because of very slight differences in collisions with other cars that aren't where it makes you fail to complete the race...but a different model car interacted with leads to a slightly different time of completion.
With GTMR, i think the only way to playback correctly is to play with nvram which keep the original setup of the player.

Do you agree with me ?

But with GTMR2, the problem is not the same, it's a problem of how to calculate points ;-)
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

sawys wrote:gWith GTMR, i think the only way to playback correctly is to play with nvram which keep the original setup of the player.

Do you agree with me ?
if using the same nvram allows for that...then yes.

however, even with the default nvram/firmware state, the game selects a different car model setup each time a replay is played back.

..so I am not sure having the same nvram loaded in each time would help here.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

WARNING: this game has roms which there are no known dumps AND playback problems may occur if the no known DUMPS are different between playback and recording... So when you run mame and mame says "NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN for etc.rom" list the rom and the crc. Example: mcu_code.u12 6c5050cb (Repeated hex bytes DEADBEEF) or mc_code.u12 963dba66 (repeadted text byes 'mame.dk ')
Unless the MCU code for GTMR has been dumped since those special rules were written, then that ROM probably be removed entirely from your set. MAME will still run if it can't find a ROM marked NO_DUMP. Damn ROM managers for creating fake ROMs.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Back to this game checking scores, it appears we need a modification to the special rules, if you complete a race at 60 you get to race again, so maybe that shouldn't count or should it?

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/c/7/4/sa ... wolf90.zip
-skito