magical drop 3

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

magical drop 3

Post by Chad »

-skito
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

now that it's quiet around here, maybe someone can bump into this.
-skito
pat33999
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by pat33999 »

Same here.
Attachments
ca_error.png
ca_error.png (594 Bytes) Viewed 7594 times
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

That's a third from me.
Attachments
magdrop3.jpg
magdrop3.jpg (23.24 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Darren
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

gaaaammmeee overr, man, game over!
-skito
Yatta_Yatta-O_o
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Yatta_Yatta-O_o »

Hello there. Sorry for the late answer got the notice for description change yesterday.

Iirc i've put mame117 because I didnt find the version of my mame (mame32) and tought this would be the closest. Now that I think of its supposed to be a well known version so It is most probably in the list and I would have missed it (or misunderstood something).

Im quite new to mame and quite lost as well (theres a lot of versions O_o;).

Anyways, I assume the version of Mame32 Im running is the latest, since I downloaded it a few days ago, to be able to record demos after discovering MARP.

I just checked about the mem and nvram thingies (dont know what those are). I remember seeing some rule stating they should be deleted but since my mame installation was new I must have assumed that it should be ok. I just checked and those file are present - oops o_o; ...
Are those file generated automatically and they need to be erased everytime I want to record a demo ?

Ah, btw, 2 questions :
- I tried to watch the #1 record for magdrop3 (the one > 1.8M, I dont understand how it is possible o_o;) but couldnt manage to do so. Im quite lost on what version of mame and what roms / formats I should use to watch that. I tried to watch it on mame32 at some point, and I just got some weird rapid screen flickering between various neo geo settings screens. Is that a "calendar error" ? o_o
- Is it ok to record demos of the game with the japanese localisation settings ? Magical drop 3 was severily hurt during the process of localisation ... just 1 voice for every character in the US version, and all the little comics and dialogs where lost ... btw I mentioned in my demo comments that the japanese version is "better but harder" in the end I guess I was wrong on the difficulty difference, must've been a wrong first impression when playing the US version.

Ill try to record a high score again, making sure no nvram or mem things are in the way.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please forgive the newbie. -___-;

EDIT: Ah, my version of mame is 0.62. Sry : /
EDIT2 : After removing the nvram and mem files, I cant play my demo anymore ... DOH! Well I guess its lost forever : (
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Yatta_Yatta-O_o wrote:EDIT: Ah, my version of mame is 0.62. Sry : /
EDIT2 : After removing the nvram and mem files, I cant play my demo anymore ... DOH! Well I guess its lost forever : (
hi, thanks for getting back to us, oh i see, mame62 also had a change in rom files from the current version. I.e. when i try to play back your recording in this version i get crc errors, will have to try and find the old rom version. Yeah, it's possible that if you lose the nvram and memcard files you may never be able to playback that recording again, so it's always safest to remove the memcard and nvram files in the mame dir before recording. If you get wolfmame from http://wolfmame.marpirc.net this includes a batch script that automatically makes sure that all the bad files are gone before playing back and recording.

If you would like any further assistance, please feel free to reply.
-skito
Yatta_Yatta-O_o
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Thank you for the informations. Its a shame this one as been lost, but I wont discourage myself, ill do better (and watchable) next time ! :)

Any help on how to watch the #1 highscore demo (>1.8M points! o_o) ? I cant find a way to watch it.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

You will fiust need the m35tg3 version of mame. see the "get MAME" link near the recording? You may also need the win35tg3 version, since htat seems to do better in later windows. Then you will need the old magdrop3 roms, and then it should work.
-skito
Yatta_Yatta-O_o
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Thanks, ill try that.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Yatta_Yatta-O_o wrote:Thank you for the informations. Its a shame this one as been lost, but I wont discourage myself, ill do better (and watchable) next time ! :)
To avoid losing other recordings, I'd recommend you take two steps:

1) Make sure you can make a recording and play it back yourself. If you have access to two machines, try to record on one and play it back on the other. If you only have access to one machine, at least try to record and then play it back on that machine. This will help you sort out details on recording without risking a mistake when recording your best game ever.

2) Submit a "test" recording to MARP. It doesn't need to be a good score, but submit it with a note asking somebody to confirm it playsback correctly. This way you can make sure that the steps you are following for recording results in replays that other MARP members can playback.

Good luck,
George
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Chad wrote:You will fiust need the m35tg3 version of mame. see the "get MAME" link near the recording? You may also need the win35tg3 version, since htat seems to do better in later windows. Then you will need the old magdrop3 roms, and then it should work.
Even if you will have 35tg3 version problem can be with OS. Win98 or DOS can be required. First try win35tg3 with WinXP (if you have XP :) ).
Kaede
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Kaede »

Where can old ROMs be found, please ?
I always wanted to watch the top MDIII score, but never could...