FRAPS solution...

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

FRAPS solution...

Post by tk2007 »

Do u think its a good idea to record our playing with the Fraps program?
No Mame special versions, no romsets, no command lines no any other problems :idea:
EMULATE DECATHLETE NOW!!!
Kaiser
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: FRAPS solution...

Post by Kaiser »

tk2007 wrote:Do u think its a good idea to record our playing with the Fraps program?
No Mame special versions, no romsets, no command lines no any other problems :idea:
No, it defeats the purpose of MARP don't you think it's a stupid idea since you can't record MAME replays with fraps? Bloody hell man think then post mr. angry greece kid :?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

tk2007 wrote:no any other problems :idea:
Cheating is problem.

If you want record videos go to superplay.
http://www.super-play.co.uk/
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

tk2007 wrote:Do u think its a good idea to record our playing with the Fraps program?
You mean you'd pay my bandwidth bills for me?
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

No, it defeats the purpose of MARP don't you think it's a stupid idea since you can't record MAME replays with fraps? Bloody hell man think then post mr. angry greece kid
Are u sure u cant record mame games with fraps? They told me that u can record anything.
I m not angry. I m not kid (37). Why u mention my country? Do u mention anyone's country? Does this mean something? Which is your country? R u all here from the same country :?:
Cheating is problem.
If someone cheats we ll see it in the video....
:?: Why should I want record videos for me? The point is to record them for our competition.
You mean you'd pay my bandwidth bills for me?
Do u pay for the GBs u download? I pay per month and I have 4mbps. What do u have, dial-up?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

tk2007 wrote:
Cheating is problem.
If someone cheats we ll see it in the video....
You will not see cheats in video. First read MARP rules, next learn more about wolfMAME, why we use it.
tk2007 wrote:
:?: Why should I want record videos for me? The point is to record them for our competition.
MARP is place for inps and you can't change it. Superplay is for videos.
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

What is the problem if u see someone's playing in fraps and not in an .inp file?
Theres no any difference.
:?:

Of course if some1 cheats we ll see it on the video, we r not crooked.

When .inps have so many problems and most of us cannot see them, a video file is a much better idea :!:
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Sorry, you're getting so much flak, tk. I'm impressed you are putting up with it :) Actually you can cheat while playing a game and NEVER see it in the recording with even regular mame inps. You can for sure cheat with easier settings and see it in any recordings but there are worse ways to cheat, i.e. save states and doctoring recordings. This is why we have a few more security features in wolfmame that prevent haphazard cheating.
-skito
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

destructor wrote: You will not see cheats in video.
And then.
tk2007 wrote:Of course if some1 cheats we ll see it on the video
If you don't believe what people say, why ask questions?
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

Chad, u tell me all the time that I shouldnt be suspicius, that peole here dont cheat etc etc and now u tell me that there r cheaters everywhere....

But I cant understand how can some1 doctoring a video and cheat without understand him...Must be a proffesional video editor? Hard to do it, I guess...
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Right because wolfmame is the most secure mame out there, so if people want to cheat they can do it with regular mame but since at least wolfmame at marp trys to persuade players not to cheat. It's more likely people here aren't cheating because we all publically say cheating is possible but we'd rather see a legitimate effort with a secure mame (which only can take 1rst place) than any other way.

A complete video of watching someone play the game (AND the game screen) is "likely" the most secure method, but it's hard to store and transmit videos over the internet, they are huge!
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

tk2007 wrote:Do u pay for the GBs u download? I pay per month and I have 4mbps. What do u have, dial-up?
Yes, and no, but just 256kbps ADSL. A telco who owns everything but won't spend anything on infrastructure doesn't help. They need to upgrade the network from packet-carrying sheep. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

At the risk of sounding like I'm "after you" again, I'm going to explain why this idea would not work.

1. This is the MAME Action Replay Page. MARP has always been focused on the posting of .inp files using MAME. If you take out the .inps, it's no longer MARP.
2. Fraps has limitations in place unless you buy the full version (or "obtain" it through other means)
3. I can't speak for everyone but I couldn't even get the trial version of Fraps to work on my computer, probably because of my shitty video card. I've had better luck with Camtasia, but even then it didn't really give me any good options for converting the video files, maybe I need more codecs.
4. Which brings me to another point, not everyone is very savvy at encoding/optimizing video files. Without a "standard" in place, file sizes and quality of the video/audio could differ dramatically. Not to mention that having to go all that trouble of re-encoding and then uploading a video takes a lot more time than playing the game once in MAME, tossing the .inp (and sometimes .wlf) into a zip file, and then uploading the tiny compressed zip to MARP.
5. Where do you propose we go about hosting these enormous video files? I don't think the ZTNet folk would be very thrilled about having numerous triple-digit megabyte files on their server. Uploading to rapidshare, megaupload, etc is pretty ghetto (and rapidshare really sucks because of the download limits). Youtube / Google Video would rape the hell out of the video quality, and youtube doesn't allow 10+ minute videos. The nice thing about MAME inps is that you can watch them full-screen in perfect quality with whatever video options you desire.
6. Although most everyone is on a fast internet connection these days, there are some people (like mahlemiut) who don't have any viable options for high-speed internet. Zipped inp files have always been nice because they are a quick download (unless it's some analog game).

I don't necessarily agree with destructor when he automatically assumes that an .avi file means cheating. Yes, it COULD be possible to do some editing if you were really clever, but why dismiss every .avi as a cheater? Watch the video in full and then draw your own conclusions.

Obviously I will agree that watching a video file is more convenient, especially for the masses who aren't that well-versed in MAME and just want to watch a replay. If you think you've made a great replay that deserves to be seen in .avi or another video format, then go ahead and make one! But the fact of the matter is that it's pretty safe to say that making a video like that is never going to be required for the purpose of submitting to MARP.