star wars inconsistency

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

What does everyone think about recordings that don't playback consitently?

Keep the recording confirmed to the best played back score.
17%
Zero the recording, attaching the best played back score and warning that it may never playback in the comments.
83%

Total votes: 6

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

star wars inconsistency

Post by Chad »

I was able to play this recording back only 1 out of 10 attempts. 1 out of 10 is good enough for a confirmation but archiving recordings that intermittently playback doesn't seem good practice. Since effectively that legitimizes the listing of high-scores rather than validating the score with a recording that playsback correctly. Can anyone play this back on the first try?

http://marp.retrogames.com/r/starwars
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/d/8/3/pj ... olf106.zip

These kinds of recordings come up once in a while but there is no clear policy on what to do with them. Maybe we should decide ourselves.
-skito
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: star wars inconsistency

Post by destructor »

1.280.888 for the first time. I didn't tried more.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Without commenting on the issue, I would point out that if this vote is to have any meaning whatsoever, it should be posted in the Regulation Play forum and given a more meaningful title so that members may have a chance to know that it is going on.
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Imo recordings that have played back at some time to someone should stay. As the time goes by it will be more and more harder to playback older recordings. What would be the big enough percentage for successful playbacks anyway...50% ? Even though say 3 wouldn't be able to playback the recording it's still possible that many other could since someone has been able to playback it in the past.

Btw I recall that many Star Wars recordings are recorded with wrong settings...9+1 shields etc.

In my opinion set1 should be played at TG tournament settings: 6shields + 0 extras, hardest.

...While set 2 would be left for TG marathon settings(6+1 shields, hardest) or mame default(6+1, normal/moderate?)

Settings for Star Wars are changed through service mode.
I should be able to easily beat both top scores when I get down to it for a couple of days. I will play set 1 on TG tournament settings though...and using wolfie82...since the game was only slightly faster at that time while nowadays emulation is waaay too fast.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I think saying recordings that get old as being only able to playback 50% of the time is not qualified. Old recordings don't fail to playback because they get old, they fail to playback because new operating systems we now currently run on are different than the ones that the recordings we recorded on. I can easily play back most any of the old dos recordings using vmware on a win98 box and they will playback 100% of the time. Recordings that playback 10% of the time randomly just don't seem worth saving, since even with the original settings they still won't playback consitantly. And yeah this poll is speculative and has no meaning on the final rules.

If this was added to the rules it would not ban a game from existence, it would merely "prevent" recordings until mame is more stable to allow 100% playback.
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I could playback the recording to advertised score. Also someone at TG has been able to playback it since it has first place for mame-Starwars there.

Note: I, neither could playback the recording correctly when I tried 2nd time. Mysterious. I'm not bothered to make a clean install to try 3rd time though.

I submitted a starwars recording myself too at marp, on TG tournament settings and using wolf82. Playsback fine for me, tried twice. You?
gat
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by gat »

TJT, the settings for star wars have been updated on twin galaxies since you posted your question there. They are 6+0 hard setting for tournament play and 6+1 hard setting for marathon play. Hard setting is more difficult than hardest setting mainly due to the fireballs. You will still be able to better your high score even after changing to the correct settings as you have a way better controller than me and i will not be able to challenge you until i can find something better. As we have both already submitted tournament scores for star wars (rev 2) your earlier comment about using marathon settings for star wars (rev 1) is a good idea and i will also use that variation for marathon play.

BTW the inp i submitted plays back every time for me, maybe my mame settings are different somewhere but i will use wolf82 as it seems it plays back better for the majority.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

gat wrote:TJT, the settings for star wars have been updated on twin galaxies since you posted your question there. They are 6+0 hard setting for tournament play and 6+1 hard setting for marathon play.
Thanks for the info.
Of course nobody from TG couldn't tell me this personally or answer the thread...I wonder why. Are they this scared of admitting a mistake nowadays?
Hard setting is more difficult than hardest setting mainly due to the fireballs.
I wasn't aware of this. Although I recall Mruczek telling me that he thinks hard is easier than normal because of this. But tie-fighter stages are harder in exchange.
You will still be able to better your high score even after changing to the correct settings as you have a way better controller than me and i will not be able to challenge you until i can find something better.
As we learned from the movie Empire Strikes Back..."I see you have constructed a new lightsaber - Indeed your skills are now complete"

And further more... Yoke is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a joystick; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the arcades. Before the dark times... before the PlayStation.
As we have both already submitted tournament scores for star wars (rev 2) your earlier comment about using marathon settings for star wars (rev 1) is a good idea and i will also use that variation for marathon play.
Yes. Good luck. :)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Star Wars according to a 3 year old :D

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=EBM854BTGL0