gmgalax

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

gat
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Re: gmgalax

Post by gat »

Why keep telling me to search TG forums, why should I search the TG forums when this has nothing to do with them as zhorik stated I complied with marp rules, I made the inp for TG and marp knowing that the TG settings would allow it to be submitted to both, MARP rules allow this inp to be submitted here so I did.
As this is a problem ln2 has with TG settings then he should take it up with TG. If marp accepts TG settings and choose to do nothing about changing them then why criticise my game, should not his displeasure been directed at marp for allowing this rule to exist or not be amended?
There was nothing directed at you weehawk in particular just the overall treatment I have recieved which as zhorik pointed out should have been dealt with as a marp matter in the regulation play section and not involved me in any way and having me to point out multiple discrepancies commented about the inp in question. As no-one has stated what I have done wrong why I am called elitist when others before me have submitted to 5+1 where pre-existing 3+1 scores already exist? Please can someone tell me why the previous submitters where not called elitist?
Is it not comments like those that are irresponsible when the problem lies with marp rules. If marps acceptance of TG rules pre-dates pacman et al then why was my inp called into question with a DQ being offered up as an alternative?
All this over a low grade pac-man clone that I was just messing about on to see what happened at 256!
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

gat wrote:Why keep telling me to search TG forums
Because you keep asking questions that are answered there and I don't have time to do it for you and provide links.
gat wrote:...this has nothing to do with them (TG)
gat wrote:I made the inp for TG and marp knowing that the TG settings would allow it to be submitted to both, MARP rules allow this inp to be submitted here so I did.
You're contradicting yourself.
gat wrote:..he should take it up with TG.
As I believe I have told you twice, he has. This is where reading the relevant threads in the TG forum would be of edification to you.
gat wrote:...should not his displeasure been directed at marp for allowing this rule to exist or not be amended?
I don't think he has any problem with MARP accepting TG settings. His problem is with TG accepting 5+1 for this track. He has posted this in the TG forum.
gat wrote:As no-one has stated what I have done wrong why I am called elitist
The word "elitist" was chosen incorrectly. Chad is from California, what can I say? :wink:
gat wrote:If marps acceptance of TG rules pre-dates pacman et al then why was my inp called into question with a DQ being offered up as an alternative?
I could answer that, but it wouldn't be polite, and I suspect it's beginning to dawn on you anyway.
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

gat wrote:As this is a problem ln2 has with TG settings then he should take it up with TG. If marp accepts TG settings and choose to do nothing about changing them then why criticise my game
weehawk stated twice now that I have been "taking it up" with TG for several years. The change of staff and refs at TG without any regards for the history or reasons or precedents set by decisions TG made through the years has changed TG.

It was issues like this that had me step down as a TG ref. I was a TG ref for a couple years(2002-2004 or 2005). My last 6 months with TG I was becoming "Keeper of the Rules" where I was in the process of setting up settings for many more MAME tracks....and maintaining consistency with the arcade track settings and rules. it's not the same TG we had 5+ years ago.
If marps acceptance of TG rules pre-dates pacman et al then why was my inp called into question with a DQ being offered up as an alternative?
please..you told me not to use my statement out of context so please stop doing it yourself. You seemed so focused on the first part...you ignored the second part...or at least reducing the score to the score after the 4th death.

I perhaps jumped the gun there a little bit...should have posted it in the regulation area as zhorik stated...proposing that MARP make a special rule for this track to make it 3+1 only...not follow TG's 5+1 and the reasons behind it. if your score was reduced by the 6k amount to the score after the 4th death, then whether this motion passed or not your score is good. Only editors or the gamer themselves can change their score. A confirmer can't.

I also stated I had no issues with your other submitted inps on pacman-variants recently.
I, in a manner of speaking, DQ'd myself from being a confirmer for this particular submission. It's a conflict of interest for me. I should have the right to choose not to confirm certain inps.

ok, I kicked that dead horse...now leave it for the flies. :P
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

GAT, what are you doing man? no reason for what you just did in submitting all those 999,999,999 scores I see on the uploads page.

if you are pissed at me that's fine. don't take it out on MARP.
Your score was confirmed already by someone else...as I knew it would be cuz you were following the rules.

my gripe on the settings isn't anything against you and definitely isn't trying to remove your score. if rule or TG settings get changed(certain hope TG changes that) I would 100% support your score just being adjusted to the score after 4th death...so you still have all you wanted to show...no kill...having 1st place.
PacWhiz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PacWhiz »

L :lol: L
... #-o

I think Peter should be commended for playing that long thru the sound & maze color of Ghostmuncher Galaxian 8O ... and of course for his PacPlus superscore hehehe :^o
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

PacWhiz wrote:.. and of course for his PacPlus superscore hehehe :^o
And before anyone scoffs, he's included clear pictorial evidence that Pac-Man has eaten lots and lots of dots:

John Cunningham (JTC)
PacWhiz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PacWhiz »

LMAO John whahahaha... classic :P
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Yes, it's a problem having TG rules mixing up settings at Marp...especially considering TG's lack of communication with Marp and TG's own gamers when it comes to game settings.
We've had sort of similar problems before when game settings have been changed by mamedev.

I believe the action has been through regulation forums on these cases...decided case by case... Regulation coordinator looking for solution/compromise and if agreement is not found then going for general vote as a last-ish resort. After that "Special Rules" have been added to the game.

Gat, my personal opinion on these cases is that if Marp settings for the game have been same for long time, it's never good to change them...particularly if the change is to easier settings.
I don't think you're been treated particularly unfairly, or uniquely...although this could have been handled more gracefully... :)

---

When it comes to the discussion if Marp should get rid of TG settings completely...that's a complicated matter:

For a gamer it's nice being able to submit to both TG and Marp. However I think Marp could do without all kinds of TG settings dictated from "above" with the current state of things...

Of course there are many old recordings using TG settings...and on some of them I suspect TG settings are easier than MAME default..For example Scramble, if my memory serves me right. We don't want to get rid of those since they have been competed for a long time and show great skill.

So I'm not certain myself what is the right answer here.

Perhaps a new rule...
No TG settings allowed that are EASIER than MAME settings. (Except for old MARP scores...for which special rules should be updated in some sort of schedule)
If one would like to play in MARP using easier TG settings, then that would go through MARP regulation forum in the future.
...Just a thought.

Have a good day, sirs.
PacWhiz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PacWhiz »

Wtf is wrong with the layout/graphics of the forum?!
I can't even properly do a search, or i would have sought a better location for this comment...
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

PacWhiz wrote:Wtf is wrong with the layout/graphics of the forum?!
I can't even properly do a search, or i would have sought a better location for this comment...
Select "subsilver2" as your board style in the prefernces and it will look normal while you're logged in.

We had the same problem last January:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14511
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

thx john...that subsilver change fixed it for me too.

odd forums bug.

I agree with the above that a new rule could be added that TG settings are not acceptable in cases where they are easier than MAME default settings.

if more difficult than mame default(which is what TG typically has...same as default or harder settings) then those still are accepted at MARP.

the perfect pacman score(s) here using 5+1 could be adjusted by that 180 pts....or perhaps just a special rule added for the puckman track only allowing the 5+1...but only for that 1 track. all other tracks would be 3+1.
PacWhiz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PacWhiz »

Thx John! :D
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

LN2 wrote:thx john...that subsilver change fixed it for me too.
Same for me ;
but same crap remains for the "up" link into upper banner :
http://replay.marpirc.net/upload.htm

Who can fix that ? Zwaxy ? Barry ?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

My guess would be that somehow, upload.htm got deleted.

The fact that this happened at the same time as one forum style disappears, is a bit worrying.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

mahlemiut wrote:My guess would be that somehow, upload.htm got deleted.

The fact that this happened at the same time as one forum style disappears, is a bit worrying.
Do you not have the access to change the default style?
John Cunningham (JTC)