Bio-Hazard Battle

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

LastNinja2
Button Masher
Button Masher

Bio-Hazard Battle

Post by LastNinja2 »

I saw my recently uploaded replay of Bio-Hazard Battle: it goes out of sync at the very beginning of the last boss battle. I don't know why this issue happened, the recording process was fine. I'll have a new, better run at this game in a few days. Could you delete the bugged replay? Thanks :)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: Bio-Hazard Battle

Post by Chad »

awesome, i'll look forward to the re-replay. mame playbacks are far from perfect, as Phil has mentioned in earlier, Try to use the option frameskip = 0, and turn autoframeskiping off. Even though mame may get 100% fps with autofs, mame will still try to change the frameskiping and for analogue inpu recorded games this can make out of syncs happen consistantly. setting noafs and fs=0 (turning off autoframeskipping and setting the frameskip to 0) will avoid this kind of out of syncs. But there are still other out of syncs that can happen randomly, which is why we test inps :)
-skito
LastNinja2
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by LastNinja2 »

Thanks Chad :)
That's strange: recording process was normal, i always keep fsp to zero (without automatic frameskip) and i had no problems whatsoever in this particular run (constant 100% during the game). Maybe a recording issue of the game with new versions (as 0.106 seems to be fine)? A new replay will definitely clarify this.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

I will say the same as Chad :
"-noafs -fs 0" is better than "-fs 0" alone ;
I hope your next recording will playback till the end #-o
LastNinja2
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by LastNinja2 »

Man, it's frustrating to record a good run that does playback fine till the last minute.... but i love this game, so going again through it will only be a pleasure :wink:
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Phil Lamat wrote:"-noafs -fs 0"
Are these options good in any case? Or they should used only in problematic cases?
If used with a not-problematic game, could they damage the recording?
I guess they couldn't, and if its true it could be helpful to add them in the record.bat

If a inp is recorded with forced fs=0, could it desync when played back witout the "force_frameskip_to_zero" option?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

These options can never damage the synchronization of a recording, they can only help. However they probably wouldn't be a good idea to use when the game requires a lot of CPU power to get the emulation running because forcing fs0 will make the emulation the most difficult for the computer to follow. However most games run 100% so setting noafs and fs0 is a good idea, however they really can only help the games that use analog controls (mouse, touch pad, non digital joysticks) but they can't hurt anything else unless it makes the game slower than using autoframeskipping.

I think the problem with mame and Bio-Hazard is a problem i see a lot in mess games, the game just goes out of sync for no reason. I've been trying to figure out a way to debug these, There must be some inputs sneaking through and either getting recorded but not played back or not getting recorded at all. These were often caused by the emulation using a feature that doesn't repeat itself on playback like using the value of a clock, but Barry pretty much nuked all of those occurrences. But maybe one is hidden that doesn't actually have a literal time() reference.
-skito