B.Rap Boys Special (US)

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

B.Rap Boys Special (US)

Post by simpsons99 »

This game and it's rom sets have play back problems .. Never plays back to the game I played.. I just had a 3k game on this ..

Is there ways to better my chances of this playing back right?
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: B.Rap Boys Special (US)

Post by mahlemiut »

Best way would be to fix the driver. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I can not help it's not playing back to what I really played ..
mahlemiut wrote:Best way would be to fix the driver. :)
Arcade Game Scores
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

why am I not surprised another unhelpful mod post
Arcade Game Scores
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/8/0/4/jpy ... olf152.zip

You did actually try to playback the latest "longest" confirmed recording? it appears the later (152) versions of wolf made it the furthest.

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/(brapboys,b ... brapboysu)
-skito
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I can not figure out how to play back recordings with the newer versons of mame .. I have asked this many times..

I played this afternoon with wolf152 and got over 3k game and it only played back to 400 points or something .. Flat broke my heart it was a great game
Chad wrote:http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/8/0/4/jpy ... olf152.zip

You did actually try to playback the latest "longest" confirmed recording? it appears the later (152) versions of wolf made it the furthest.

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/(brapboys,b ... brapboysu)
Arcade Game Scores
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

Since I'm sure Brian is wanting to take this coveted score back, I'll do what I can to explain how to record and playback with newer MAME. Nothing is more frustrating than an incompetent competitor. I'm going to make a couple of assumptions based on a previous conversation we had:

1) For any version past 106, Brian is opening a MAME folder on his desktop and double-clicking on the "record.bat" file to record his games. This opens the simple GUI where he can select a game. However, after finishing a recording this creates an unnamed INP that he later renames before uploading to MARP.
2) Brian is trying to do the same with the "playback.bat" file.

Opening the batch files in this way is not the proper use of those files, so even though you get away with it while you're recording it doesn't work for watching replays.

You have two options: 1) Download a front end that allows you to record and playback using menu selections, similar to WolfMAME106. 2) Learn to run WolfMAME from the command line.

If you want to use option 1, go to http://www.mameui.info/ and download MAMEUI64 0.152. This front end looks similar to what you're used to with MAME32 and WolfMAME106. All you have to do is unzip the file and copy it into the folder that has all of your WolfMAME152 files. Then run the "mameui64.exe" file (you can double-click it) and you'll notice that all the menus and options are very similar to what you're used to with WolfMAME106. If you decide to use this front end, you'll need to to remember to delete NVRAM before recording or set the NVRAM directory to "NUL" in the "Options>Directories" menu.

I recommend learning option 2, even if you decide to go with option 1. Running MAME from the command line is very quick and very easy...you just have to know the commands. I use a desktop shortcut to the command line to save myself a couple of seconds every time I use this method. This is how I set it up in Windows 7.

Please take note that you'll have to know the exact location of your MAME folder. I assume your MAME folder is on your Desktop, so that's what I put in the above example. However, you'll need to know the exact User Name you use on your computer, as well as the name of your MAME folder. You can also right-click on your MAME folder and select "Properties" to find the location.

Once you set the correct location, that shortcut should always open up the command line in your MAME directory:

Now you're ready to record and playback.

To record, type in: record <gamename> <inpname>. The <gamename> is the short/ROMset name of the game you want to play. The <inpname> is whatever name you choose to call your INP. For example, if I want to record a Donkey Kong game and give the INP the name "dknohammer" then I would type: record dkong dknohammer.

To playback, just replace "record" with "playback." So, to watch the above recording I would type: playback dkong dknohammer.

To watch games uploaded to MARP, download them, unzip the folder, and put the INP into the "inp" folder in your MAME directory. Then, use the commands above to watch the recording. MARP recordings are automatically renamed to include the player's initials, game, score, and MAME version. You can rename them to something shorter once they're downloaded so you don't have to type in the long filename for the <inpname>.

If your MAME defaults to fullscreen from the command line, add "-w" at the end to play in a window. For example: record dkong dknohammer -w.

Regarding my brapboysu recording, see the description in my upload for a possible solution to the playback problems. I don't know if -nosound is a true fix or if I got lucky. Greater MAME minds than mine would be able to answer that.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

QMC2 is an even better frontend. MAMEUI is outdated and buggy, and is lucky to have one dedicated maintainer.
http://qmc2.arcadehits.net/wordpress/download/

And a note to certain other players, please name your INPs. INPs names simply '.inp' are hidden on non-Windows systems. Please, if you forget to name it when using record.bat, at least have the decency to rename it afterwards. </rant>
- Barry Rodewald
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

theres something rather familiar about all this...!!!
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

what is ?
kernzy wrote:theres something rather familiar about all this...!!!
Arcade Game Scores
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

does this actually record / playback consistently with current versions now?

I know for a long time neither this nor shogun warriors would record properly, and despite both using the same protection system I couldn't find an actual error in the code that would prevent recording from working (even if it clearly didn't work)

Would be nice to get all the games that don't record properly cleaned up, the PGM titles annoy me too, I'd guess that's something with the RTC, but I'm not 100% sure.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

As far as I know, PGM games record/playback fine, with the exception of Dodonpachi II. Certainly all the later Cave PGM games work fine.
- Barry Rodewald
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Haze wrote:does this actually record / playback consistently with current versions now?

I know for a long time neither this nor shogun warriors would record properly, and despite both using the same protection system I couldn't find an actual error in the code that would prevent recording from working (even if it clearly didn't work)

Would be nice to get all the games that don't record properly cleaned up, the PGM titles annoy me too, I'd guess that's something with the RTC, but I'm not 100% sure.
still broken in 0.153.
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

mahlemiut wrote:As far as I know, PGM games record/playback fine, with the exception of Dodonpachi II. Certainly all the later Cave PGM games work fine.
I think Puzzli2 has issues too, with it giving different random stages.

Brapboys is more confusing tho, there's no RTC, and afaik I've double checked everything is initialized. I wonder if there's a bug in the protection sim reading off past the end of memory or something. The driver does use our internal random number generator but that should be deterministic..