puzzli2

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Re: puzzli2

Post by Phil Lamat »

Both Vaz and I have Windows7, and our inputs are compatible for Puzzli2 & ddp2.
I hardly think there is something related to OS used.
Does someone else have Windows7 ?
Fordy
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Fordy »

I have just posted scores for all the puzzli2s vs and after reading what has been written here can anyone else play them back. I deleted nvram before recording and I have tested them and they all playback fully for me.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Fordy wrote:I have just posted scores for all the puzzli2s vs and after reading what has been written here can anyone else play them back. I deleted nvram before recording and I have tested them and they all playback fully for me.
Tried your Vs. Normal INP, loses sync early on stage 1 for me.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

All 3 desyncs for me too
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Vaz wrote:As requested by Phil, I tried to playback his puzzli2 inp. It fully works, but the final score is 788400, not 795400:
So all is correct, because after playbacking my inp again (which playbacks perfectly for me) I've just realised that I made 788400 at the end of stage 7, and a few more points on stage 8 to get 795400.
But in this game, points made on the stage where you lose are not counted for the final leaderboard ranking, and I'm invited to enter initials for 788400 only.

Vaz, can you test my other inputs made on puzzli2s ?
Fordy
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Fordy »

Phil Lamat wrote:All 3 desyncs for me too
That's annoying as I was enjoying playing this game.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Fordy wrote:
Phil Lamat wrote:All 3 desyncs for me too
That's annoying as I was enjoying playing this game.
I was hoping I could play this back, but with XP fordy's recent pro recording does not playback with 157 or 158. Wonder if Barthax can playback Fordy's recents because he was able to before.
-skito
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Sorry, I couldn't get to MARP yesterday for some reason. All three of Fordy's INPs playback for me.
Fordy-puzzli2s-vse.png
Fordy-puzzli2s-vse.png (25.88 KiB) Viewed 10159 times
Fordy-puzzli2s-vsn.png
Fordy-puzzli2s-vsn.png (25.89 KiB) Viewed 10159 times
Fordy-puzzli2s-vsp.png
Fordy-puzzli2s-vsp.png (25.81 KiB) Viewed 10159 times
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Thinking about it some more: the playback batch file I used ensures the cfg, hi & nvram for the game is not impacting on the playback. I also deleted the content of the cfg & hi directories (nvram already empty) before playing back. The directory I use for MAME is used by multiple versions of MAME & the MAME.INI is littered with different versions' settings. Note: playback of Fordy's INPs work regardless of frameskip and throttle settings.

I extracted the WolfMAME 0.158 7z to a new directory, created a ROM folder, INP folder and placed just pgm.zip and puzzli2.zip in the ROMs folder and just the INP in the INP folder. Playback still works. Just wanted to rule out interference of other versions on my system. I then transported that folder to a Windows 7 VM: can't open the display device. :(
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Barthax wrote: I then transported that folder to a Windows 7 VM: can't open the display device. :(
Too bad you can't test under Win7, I'm rather sure it's related to something like OS.
I will test Fordy's inp on a PC with XP tomorrow if I can.
Fordy
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Fordy »

If you need to know I'm using Windows 8.1. Not sure if it matters, but I do use a GUI when I record all my inps, also although I have up-to-date (I think) roms for puzzli2 & puzzli2s my PGM bios set is slightly older, but I can't remember how old.
Thank you to everyone who has tested my inps to see if they work.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

After reading what barthax said, that made me check my playback method. I had removed all nvram/hi files but did not remove the cfg file, now having removed the cfg file as well But I get the same bad results for the Fordy Pro recording http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/7/5/b/prf ... olf158.zip (doesn't win any round), Normal recording http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/b/f/2/prf ... olf158.zip (wins first round but nothing more.)

It may be due to a mame.ini setting, because my mame is cluttered with all sorts of ini files from previous mame versions. Perhaps Barthax just hasn't run exactly the same versions as I have and his managled mame.ini matches Fordy's ini.
-skito
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Chad wrote:It may be due to a mame.ini setting, because my mame is cluttered with all sorts of ini files from previous mame versions. Perhaps Barthax just hasn't run exactly the same versions as I have and his managled mame.ini matches Fordy's ini.
My main MAME.INI is mangled by numerous versions but I also used a clean extract of 0.158 - playback of Fordy's INPs work in both scenarios. For the record, my mangled MAME.INI is attached (zipped).
Attachments
MAME.zip
(893 Bytes) Downloaded 270 times
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Here's my mame.ini, for comparison's sake. This is from the usual 0.158 SDL 64-bit build that I generally use. Win32 build gives the same playback issue, however (with the same mame.ini, though, except that I add -video d3d otherwise it defaults to the slow software renderer)

I have tried to playback with -norc (which disables loading mame.ini), but no change in playback there either.
Attachments
mame.ini.zip
(1.79 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

mahlemiut wrote:Here's my mame.ini, for comparison's sake.
Dropped this into my setup & altered the roms path & the save process altered to CRLF endings. Fordy's Pro (http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/7/5/b/prf ... olf158.zip) recording still plays back.

I've since got this to playback with a virgin-extract of WolfMAME 0.158 + ROMs + INP + Ctrlr folder on Windows 8.1 Enterprise VM.

Some thoughts: I've got AMD chipsets across my machines, no Intel in sight. I always playback with -w (window) and -nomax (no stretching).