vsnetscr

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

vsnetscr

Post by Phil Lamat »

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/vsnetscra

http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/d/c/d/zid ... olf150.zip
Doesn't playback for me (and apparently for PP too), no coin inserted at the beginning.
But if I create a default nvram it playbacks ok.
ZID says no nvram was used, can anyone check ?
pat33999
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Re: vsnetscr

Post by pat33999 »

Same here, doesn't insert coin without NVRAM, but works if you allow it to use default NVRAM.
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

I record my replay erasing NVRAM before starting. I always do

I can see my replay without NVRAM

I explained edusword what happens and I hope your answer. if confirmed that the INP is not valid'll have no trouble accepting that my INP requires nvram (although I did not use NVRAM, which are two different things)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Erasing NVRAM before starting is not enough, because it recreates one while you are recording if you have not forbid the creation of a nvram directory.
That can be done by adding "-nvram_directory NUL" to your command line, or creating an empty txt file called "nvram" (without extension) where you have mame.exe
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

Question is that I can see my replay without NVRAM, and everyone can

I will wait to hear edusword, he will verify that can see my replay without NVRAM
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

ZID wrote:everyone can
Noone (PP, Pat and me) can except you.
Did you check after you're playing back, if there is a "nvram" DIRECTORY created ?
if so it explains why you can playback, but as long as you're not disabling the creation of nvram directory it won't be ok
ZID
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by ZID »

Phil Lamat wrote:
ZID wrote:everyone can
Noone (PP, Pat and me) can except you.
Did you check after you're playing back, if there is a "nvram" DIRECTORY created ?
if so it explains why you can playback, but as long as you're not disabling the creation of nvram directory it won't be ok
Yees, everyone can, but you dont have patience

Of course there is no NVRAM directory created after playing

Patience, I explain edusword and he will decide and will explain all (do not ignore this part, patience)
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

The 1P start is pressed during the boot up of the machine suggesting NVRAM used at the time of the recording, I agree.
edusword
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by edusword »

I've just checked the replay. I've used WolfMAME 0.150 via mamepgui. I have a NVRAM folder, but it is empty.

First time I tried to see the replay, no credit was inserted and the play never started. So I closed the replay and opened it again (without closing the GUI), and that second time I saw the replay correctly until the end. The replay is an 1CC and the score indicated by ZID is correct.

¿This is not a valid replay? Yes, a second attempt is needed, but them you can see the replay perfectly. ¿Is it not enough for validating the replay?

Thank you!
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

edusword wrote:First time I tried to see the replay, no credit was inserted and the play never started. So I closed the replay and opened it again (without closing the GUI), and that second time I saw the replay correctly until the end. The replay is an 1CC and the score indicated by ZID is correct.
Sounds exactly like NVRAM to me. When first run, NVRAM data is invalid (will usually start as all 0x00 or all 0xff), the game sees this and writes the default values. This takes a bit of extra time (EEPROMs are not all that fast), so if the player starts quickly with a default NVRAM present, then without it, it will appear to not start as the start button is pressed before the game starts checking for it.

Recommendation: set nvram_directory to NUL, or use the provided record.bat and playback.bat batch files from the commandline.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

edusword wrote: I have a NVRAM folder, but it is empty.
This is the problem (even if empty)
edusword wrote:
First time I tried to see the replay, no credit was inserted and the play never started. So I closed the replay and opened it again (without closing the GUI), and that second time I saw the replay correctly until the end. The replay is an 1CC and the score indicated by ZID is correct.
We don't say the inp can't be playbacked, just it can't be playbacked without nvram ...

edusword wrote:¿This is not a valid replay?
... and that's why the inp is not valid for Marp (this is what rule 2f says)

ZID will have to retry again, this time disabling nvram (just add what Barry says to your commandline)