newfanta

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

newfanta

Post by Phil Lamat »

http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/3/0/b/cum ... olf160.zip
Claimed 656000, playbacks to 21600 for me

Needs 2 other people for edition
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: newfanta

Post by PP. »

Ha ha come one, you want to delete my score? But I can do it again :D

Ok now, I thought you already knew that almost all games of this type have playback problems. That's why I insert images(taken via f12) in my zip.
If you want to delete my inps then you should do the same with all players's inps which have same problem.

Is there any way to fix the playback problem? Any command like "-noafs" for examble?
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

No I wasn't aware of these playback problems.
But if you knew, then you could have check yourself.
You can delete or edit your score yourself (screenshot is not enough, the R of MARP is for Replay)
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

Of course I checked myself, and as I told you, now and the other day, this type of games have playback problems.

I know that images are not enough, but it's better than nothing.

So, you mods/editors find a solution, or delete all inps which do not playback properly.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

PP. wrote:So, you mods/editors find a solution, or delete all inps which do not playback properly.
For your information, INPs are never deleted. I guess you meant "zeroed", but still this isn't the case, a score is zeroed when disqualified; a desyncing playback isn't a reason for disqualification, the max they can do is to correct the score with what the playback stops at.

Tried to playback, game over at 21600 points. dear god, and to say I really dislike these Comad games in Qix style, why did I watch...
Of course I checked myself, and as I told you, now and the other day, this type of games have playback problems.

If you know a replay has playback issues
step 1 - you don't publish it to grab a position in ranking. You can alternatively upload it in forum with a new (or under a same game related) thread, describing the issue.
step 2 - you can try different versions of WolfMAME to see if you find one without playback issues. (like you did, for parent - that's good)
if step 2 doesn't work
step 3 - you wait until mamedevs find a way to make it work. Which may not even come, even if they try.
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

giro-X wrote: For your information, INPs are never deleted. I guess you meant "zeroed", but still this isn't the case, a score is zeroed when disqualified; a desyncing playback isn't a reason for disqualification, the max they can do is to correct the score with what the playback stops at.

Tried to playback, game over at 21600 points. dear god, and to say I really dislike these Comad games in Qix style, why did I watch...
As I told you the other day, a zero or a deleted score(or tagged with star) is the same. No places count.

If you try to playback most of those games you 'll see that gave over comes much earlier than the claimed score.

giro-X wrote: If you know a replay has playback issues
step 1 - you don't publish it to grab a position in ranking. You can alternatively upload it in forum with a new (or under a same game related) thread, describing the issue.
step 2 - you can try different versions of WolfMAME to see if you find one without playback issues. (like you did, for parent - that's good)
if step 2 doesn't work
step 3 - you wait until mamedevs find a way to make it work. Which may not even come, even if they try.
Players use to upload inps which desync. Those inps remain on boards for years. Sometimes there is editor's comment that desyncs but scores still remain.
I did tried different versions. As I said, thats not great help. A same rom in same mame version may plays normally in one case and not normally in another case.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Parent works perfectly with 0.101, but the problem with clone newfanta is that it is available since m150.
We have to wait if someone in Mamedev figures out what was good in 101 and is not working in 150 or later.
In the meantime, you have to check your inp before uploading
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

PP. wrote:Ha ha come one, you want to delete my score? But I can do it again :D

Ok now, I thought you already knew that almost all games of this type have playback problems. That's why I insert images(taken via f12) in my zip.
If you want to delete my inps then you should do the same with all players's inps which have same problem.

Is there any way to fix the playback problem? Any command like "-noafs" for examble?
PP. wrote:Of course I checked myself, and as I told you, now and the other day, this type of games have playback problems.

So, you mods/editors find a solution, or delete all inps which do not playback properly.
So, you clearly new this game had playback problems, and that your recording also did not play back correctly, and yet you decided to go ahead and submit it to Marp anyway. Why would you do that?

This is yet another example of why some of your behaviour is pissing off other members of Marp. A better approach would be to put in a topic that this game has playback issues, so that appropriate action can be taken on this game's existing recordings, not just submit on the game and hope that your score also goes unnoticed as well.

Finally, remember that the mods/editors etc are doing this in their spare time and because there are thousands and thousands of games there will frequently be times where things like this slip through the net and don't get actioned. Please don't take the lack of action, or more correctly the lack of us not noticing every game that falls into this category, as not caring but rather a fact of life with so many games and so many recordings being submitted.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

BeeJay wrote: So, you clearly new this game had playback problems, and that your recording also did not play back correctly, and yet you decided to go ahead and submit it to Marp anyway. Why would you do that?
For the same reason other players did that too.
BeeJay wrote: This is yet another example of why some of your behaviour is pissing off other members of Marp. A better approach would be to put in a topic that this game has playback issues, so that appropriate action can be taken on this game's existing recordings, not just submit on the game and hope that your score also goes unnoticed as well.
You better take care of your behaviour. You try to defend someone like Kale?
I' ve made some threads of playback issues, there was not always response. For examble, "dsaber". After 8 months and no any action has been taken.
I do not hope that "my score also goes unnoticed as well"... You see, I can re-make it any time. I just want same rules for all. For examble, why Saulon may upload a "smissw" inp claiming its 435k while playback goes only up to 152k?
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

smissw fixed
What's wrong with dsaber ? link ?
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

PP. wrote:For the same reason other players did that too.
No, you continue to remove the focus from the main point BeeJay, Phil and I tried to tell you.
You knew it wasn't doing correct playback, you still uploaded.
BUT - usually desyncing replays are still uploaded by people because
a) they did not do a playback on their own before uploading (and this is a thing one should always do - call it being naive or too confident)
b) the playback worked for them (but didn't work for confirmers checking it).

I don't recall people having submitted replays to the page AND say they knew it was not working properly. I don't say it never happened, in those case that's bad sense, but it doesn't happen that much like you say. At least cunning players stay quiet.

ANYWAY, nothing that a waste of some of our free time can solve, posted with or without being aware of problems, it's desyncing.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

PP. wrote:For the same reason other players did that too.
Other players doing the wrong thing is no justification for you to feel free to go ahead and do the same thing. You can't expect to be taken seriously when you keep pulling stunts like knowingly submitting games that won't playback solely because you're so desperate to climb that stupid leaderboard.
PP. wrote:You better take care of your behaviour. You try to defend someone like Kale?
Kale hasn't posted in this topic so that's a bit of a random comment to put into this topic?!?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

giro-X wrote: No, you continue to remove the focus from the main point BeeJay, Phil and I tried to tell you.
No, I do not remove the focus, I focus right to the point. And I gave a straight answer.

giro-X wrote: b) the playback worked for them (but didn't work for confirmers checking it).
Is this a joke? Because you should know its not true.
giro-X wrote:, but it doesn't happen that much like you say.
I was talking for the "ms nude" type games only.

BeeJay wrote: Other players doing the wrong thing is no justification for you to feel free to go ahead and do the same thing. You can't expect to be taken seriously when you keep pulling stunts like knowingly submitting games that won't playback solely because you're so desperate to climb that stupid leaderboard.
As I explained, I do not look for justification. Its the fair game for all which I look for. If my competitor, Saulon, may uploads such inps then I should may too.
Besides, when I refered in forum some Saulon's wrong inps, no action was taken.
Nobody likes to be sucker.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

PP. wrote:As I explained, I do not look for justification. Its the fair game for all which I look for.
You need to be able to justify loading a replay and there is no justification for loading a recording which you know will never play back. That's not fair in anyone's book.
PP. wrote:If my competitor, Saulon, may uploads such inps then I should may too.
He shouldn't upload them either and as/when someone can get around to reviewing his will be zeroed as well, or reduced to the score they 'reliably' playback to.
PP. wrote:Besides, when I refered in forum some Saulon's wrong inps, no action was taken.
The world's end has not arrived yet, so there is still time for action to be taken on inps which don't playback. We all have real-world lives to deal with as well.
PP. wrote:Nobody likes to be sucker.
If you weren't so single-mindedly focused on that stupid leaderboard, which has minimal real value due to the way it can be manipulated by numerous submissions on newly added and/or previously unsubmitted roms, and instead focused on submitting truly quality recordings then someone submitting rubbish that won't playback does not and never can make you a sucker.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

BeeJay wrote: You need to be able to justify loading a replay and there is no justification for loading a recording which you know will never play back. That's not fair in anyone's book.
Already answered.
BeeJay wrote: He shouldn't upload them either and as/when someone can get around to reviewing his will be zeroed as well, or reduced to the score they 'reliably' playback to.
But he did uploaded them.

BeeJay wrote:[
The world's end has not arrived yet, so there is still time for action to be taken on inps which don't playback. We all have real-world lives to deal with as well.
I have a real-world life too. And I'm nobody's sucker.

BeeJay wrote: If you weren't so single-mindedly focused on that stupid leaderboard, which has minimal real value due to the way it can be manipulated by numerous submissions on newly added and/or previously unsubmitted roms, and instead focused on submitting truly quality recordings then someone submitting rubbish that won't playback does not and never can make you a sucker.
I'm focused as much as everyone here. We all try to win. That's not bad.
Something which is truly quality recording for you, its rubbish for someone else. Open your mind.

BeeJay wrote: Cheers,
BeeJay.
Cheers,
PP.