pengadvb

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

pengadvb

Post by giro-X »

There are two submissions, currently, on pengadvb romset [Penguin Adventure (bootleg of MSX version, encrypted)]
http://replay.marpirc.net/r/pengadvb

There are a few things to say about this game, in regards of credits and score. Hence why I'd suggest to put up a special box rules. (This topic would have been proper for Regulation Play threads, but you'll read later why it's in Playbackability)
The credits are time based, the game alerts you when time is up by beeping loudly, as there is no time indicator on screen.
But because game has its own lives system, there are then two ways to end a game, by not feeding credits to machine or by exhausting lives.
I believe we should adopt, then, the same method we use for PlayChoice-10 games or some sports games, that is unlimited credits but the first game only counts.

The score too isn't displayed on screen at any time. Well, except for one frame.
One literal frame at the end of a game, shows the score. But not even at any time a game ends; it won't be shown if you complete the game; nor if your game ends by not feeding credits. You can only read hiscore and current score by running out of lives.
This explains why Novice, on his replay, completed the game on the first attempt, then restarted a second game only to lose lives at enemies on stage 3. If you pause at just the right time and frame advance slowly, you can see the magic frame with a score.
(see attachment)
From the screenshot I can deduct that 440710 is the score of the previous game, 4470 the one from the wasted game.

This is why I posted in Playbackability. I can't match it with the claimed score, 434500. The playbacking speed doesn't affect this (I tried 1x and 7x speed, both -fs 0 and max fs, no change).
Phil Lamat confirmed me via mail he got 440710 as well.
saulonpb's score is also wrong, he may have assumed there was no score system at all. 1120 is his actual score.
Hisa, if you read, if you know how to recreate on playback the 434500 score, that would be great. Otherwise I'm clueless on what happened. :)
Attachments
pengadvb.png
pengadvb.png (25.66 KiB) Viewed 10624 times
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Re: pengadvb

Post by Phil Lamat »

To complete what Giro has said, here is the snapshot showing Saulon's score.
I must say it has been a pain to catch the exact instant.

I'm ok to allow "full game" play and to edit special rules, but at least we must force players for future submissions to join a screenshot, or it will be a nightmare for confirmers #-o
Attachments
pengadv.png
pengadv.png (816 Bytes) Viewed 10618 times
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

Defcon=6

sry.
440710 was right.
we can hear 10,000 and each 50,000 points (extra) sound.

this game is one of the best MSX games. but not very good for arcade.
always bad end.(princess died)
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

From Arcade database :
0.189: Added start/continue button, this partially fixes game resets itself in stage 4. Note: A timer apparently expires when beating stage 4 (signalled by a long beeping sound). Player needs to insert another credit and press start button (?) in order to continue. Is this timer supposed to be shown on screen or there are additional 7-LEDs not handled? [Angelo Salese].

Hisa, are you sure timer is based on points (exactly 10000 and each 50000 pts) or could it be on stages ?
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

defcon=6

I mentioned about "extend sound" not "time over"
when over 10K 50K 100K,150K... sound and add 1 penguin.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Ah, ok, you was talking about extra lifes, I misundertood