what most Playbackability new topic posts will look like

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

what most Playbackability new topic posts will look like

Post by Chad »

Please post a NEW topic in the Playbackability group when you have a problem playing back a recording downloaded from marp, (Even if it has been already confirmed/turned orange.) Please title the subect with the name of the game with problems, also include in the body the marp URL of the problematic inp.zip in question. (It's relativley easy to do this: Right click on the inp.zip file at marp and then drop down to Copy ShortCut or Copy Link location and then paste that into your message here.) AND include the options/settings you've tried to get it to playback in your post. Hopefully replies will be in the form of options/settings to try that were successful. But If you can't get it to playback please reply just the same with the options and settings you've tried. This will allow us to organize problems and report fixes on specific issues easier.

"List: Games that require specific options to playback" Topic:

Many of marps inps can be playedback with sound and with out the nvram directory with out much trouble. Of course the word playbackability wouldn't exist with out playback problems. This topic and all it's post replies should be used to describe games that have problems with playback but CAN be played back with known specifications. This topic will be here to store this precious information, because usually this information is inserted into the text of recordings by editors for the games in question, but the comments are subsumed when the recorder uploads again. For brevity instead of posting a new reply with a new specific game option to add, edit your previous post if you have one. This information may also be stored in the "special rules" for each game, but this is a way everyone can contribute to the general playbackability of recordings.

Unwriten Marp Playback Rule Written:

If no more than one person besides the uploader can get the recording to playback and three other people can't get the recording to playback (after trying suggested settings) the recording will be zereod at marp or score adjusted to the place where the recording goes out of sync; after all it's a mame Action Replay page not a high score listing page. If two people including the author say they can play the recording back, then any recording can be instated to the correct score after zeroing. The moral of the story "Test your recordings before uploading."
Last edited by Chad on Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-skito
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

If you want, you can edit the existing playback problem posts to mark them as sticky. I don't know which they are, so I won't do it myself.
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I'm assuming the only difference between a sticky post and a non stick post is one gets ordered before the others, I don't think all playback problem posts should be sticky since that's what most posts will look like here. Maybe just this one and a sticky FAQ post should be sticky? But i may not really know the benefits of stickyness too.
-skito
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Yeah, sticky posts will just appear before the rest of the topics. It doesn't really have any other use. So yeah, this post, and a FAQ post would be the only ones you need to set as sticky.
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: what most Playbackability new topic posts should look li

Post by The TJT »

Chad wrote: Unwriten Marp Playback Rule Written:

If no more than one person besides the uploader can get the recording to playback and two other people can't get the recording to playback"

Two people can't playback...nonono, should be more people trying to playback, since it's confirmed allready. If not confirmed, maybe, maybe then 2/3 people, imo.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

ok 2/3rds of a person can't get it to playback then we delete it :twisted: yeah 3 sounds reasonable but you can't always get a lot of people to "test" stuff (jeesh i've been trying to play the recordings back here to try them and just haven't had the time.) But seriously if ONLY one person besides the uploader can play it back AND two people try the settings suggested by the person who can get it to playback and it can't play it back; THEN the person(s) who can play it back needs to be more specific about how to get it to playback and untill they are no one else will probably be able play it back with out enumerating all the possible playback possibilities.

I think i once counted 10^2=1024 possible ways to play a recording back not counting trying different mame versions before and after the version mentioned, and one out of 1024 may be the only way to get the recording to playback.
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

3/son, hehe. Try to playback Klax top scores. I confirmed one. Took me maybe more than an hour to get it work: Finally when I chose(WinMame)certain soundcard(out of 2)with right sample rate(out of 3) and right "enhancement options"(out of 2) +maybe right frameskip +deleting nvrams between playback attempts....that was many nvram deletes in all 8O

If I want to playback it now, I'll have to do it all again, As my ass is non-editorish grass, I can't edit descriptions, which I should/could/would have done at that time.

It has to be pointed out that DOS MAME usually playbacks better. When using Windows, it would be best to describe sound options per/and/or/plus combinations.

Thank you for listening.
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

DEFCON=6
Chad wrote:I think i once counted 10^2=1024 possible ways to play a recording...
10^2=100
2^10=1024.

sorry. forget it.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

hehe, no you are right! duh on me :) thank you!
-skito
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

DEFCON=2
The TJT wrote:3/son, hehe. Try to playback Klax top scores. I confirmed one. Took me maybe more than an hour to get it work: Finally when I chose(WinMame)certain soundcard(out of 2)with right sample rate(out of 3) and right "enhancement options"(out of 2) +maybe right frameskip +deleting nvrams between playback attempts....that was many nvram deletes in all 8O
KLAX top scores!?!?!
sorry. you are banned to see them.
try to confirm another tittles(another players play) please. period.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Hisa check the date of tommi's reply (last year). it was way before you submited your recordings (this year)... I'm pretty sure most of the world is not out to complain about everything you do. I for one welcome any knowledge you can give us, Be it trick or good recording.

by the way those were awesome klax scores, and they do playback in dos mame (although previous versions did have problems.)
-skito