How do you playback recordings made on old mame32 versions?

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

RichyCream
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

How do you playback recordings made on old mame32 versions?

Post by RichyCream »

I have mame32 .59. I downloaded the exe for the version of the inp i want to watch but it doesn't work. First it said, missing audio32.dll so i downloaded that. Now it says, zlib.dll not found. What do i need to do?
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

I guess you'd have to download zlib.dll as well...

I think older versions of MAME32 required those, but new ones don't?
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

It's possible zlib was staticly linked, thus you don't have to have it in the dir for recent mames. Certainly past versions of mame32 have required different versions of old zlib12 and new zlib13.

mame32 is the bane of my existance :evil: since it can make recordings which are the hardest to playback with multiple options set. Or at least i can't figure out how to make a playback script work with with a windowed program (some sort of windows scripting macros might work but would be unreliable). To make any program repeat it's "run" you have to make the program run again in it's original environment. To get mame32 installations in original environment you need to follow these steps (they are tedious and rarely all steps are necesary but sometimes they are...):

(1) make sure you have the original mame32.zip installation (same version as was recorded with): helpfiles and dlls galore, zlib dll most importantly (i don't think the sound dlls have changed but it's not a garantee they won't change in the future thus a need for different versions.)

(2) be sure to delete the registry before running playback mame32. Registry options can be "borrowed" from different versions when mame tries to guess what options are ok to keep and thus make playing back impossible. (registry can be found by searching for mame32 reg folder, it's in a key folder called free, i should list the exact key path but i've always found it with this method)

(3) delete the nvram file manually if you have a nvram directory, best option is to delete the nvram dir all together.

(4) if you didn't have a backup of the registry options for that mame32 version your using then you have to go in and set options for the recording. Turning off/on sound, making frameskip 0 not AUTO, etc.

now the recording should playback (heh), if not you just need to repeat steps (3) and (4) to try different settings and if all combinations fail post a new topic here.
Last edited by Chad on Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-skito
RichyCream
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by RichyCream »

Well then i need that zlib.dll file. Where do i get it?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

RichyCream wrote:It's all fun and games till someone ends up with my d*ck in their mouth.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 ... gle+Search
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i guess it's REALLY all fun and games till richy puts his foot and d*ck in his mouth. :?
-skito
artz
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by artz »

I'm still new at this, but isn't it just easier to have separate mame32 and mame dos directories? Play the games in mame32 and play the recordings in mame dos. It works for me. I have mame32 .058 for games, and when i want to view an .inp, i just download the .inp and the mame version .exe and run it thru dos.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

you're right! it will work "MOST" of the time. but some of the time it's dreadful to keep changing the sound driver + frequency + frameskip + MMX settings + etc. and still the recording doesn't playback, then all of a sudden you pick MIDAS + 22khz + frameskip 11 + MMX off and it works. I need to document which games have this trouble... it doesn't happen often.
-skito
RichyCream
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

still won't playback

Post by RichyCream »

Even with the zlib.dll. Where can i get full older versions of mame32? Not just the exe.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i checked on the mame32 page but they don't have an older versions link, sometimes the "get MAME" link on marp will give you the version but that's proly what you already did and it only had the exe. which version do you want the full install for?
-skito
RichyCream
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by RichyCream »

Chad wrote:i checked on the mame32 page but they don't have an older versions link, sometimes the "get MAME" link on marp will give you the version but that's proly what you already did and it only had the exe. which version do you want the full install for?

I need Win36b4.