Where do get full versions of older mames??

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

mahlemiut wrote: Also, you do know that there is basically no difference between final versions and the betas, right?
I know, so they tell me, don't believe it though 8O
They're often buggy as h*ll, and d*mn slow.

The main idea behind trying to use only couple of Mame versions is because everyone should have m36final,right? That will make playback easier for marpers, not having to have all 30 versions at their computer, right? M36final is least buggy version, right? :P
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Oh and, might I add: I prefer 80's games :roll:
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Well, I don't know about that, all versions have bugs of some description. As bugs get fixed, more are always introduced. You get that in a project the size of MAME. And like I said before, the new Windows core is the only one (bar XMAME) that works perfectly for me.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

mahlemiut wrote:Well, I don't know about that, all versions have bugs of some description. As bugs get fixed, more are always introduced. You get that in a project the size of MAME. And like I said before, the new Windows core is the only one (bar XMAME) that works perfectly for me.
At least next version will be cleaned up a bit.

But usually,when you read in a news in the WIP like

"A have made a major rewrite/improvement of B"(Where A is the programmer and B it's a core like CPU,Interrupt System,Machine Driver definition,etc...),

so new bugs are "introduced",mainly because you can't expect that mid-'80 game(that nobody plays) got broken because it used an old feature of B that wasn't converted for the new system...

As for the beta system,it was really needed when MAME was unstable, in the 34,35 and 36 cycles,when every two new release there were a major change of something.For a test,check .35/.36 source files and then the newest,you will see that MAME is almost completely changed,and only 2 years are passed(and MAME exists for 5 years)...

I always use DMAME for play,BTW...
QRS
Editor

re

Post by QRS »

...that mid-'80 game(that nobody plays) got broken because...
No one that plays those games anymore? I had no idea about that :) 8O

Cheers
QRS