No sound using mame in DOS

Archive of the old message board

Moderator: Chad

Stephen Krogman

No sound using mame in DOS

Post by Stephen Krogman »

No one seems to know the answer to this question I have. Not even in the #mamegames chat room. I cannot play any games nor can I play-back any inp files with sound! I tried everone of the options, and can only get the game to run with "0" but still no sound. I have a ENsoniq sound card, and was told once that there's no way it will work unless I invest in a better sound card. There's got to be a way I can play games through dos with a ENsoniq sound card and have sound! I don't know that much about computers to be able to make some changes so that I can get the sound to work. Please help! Playing games without sound is boring!

--
SKrogman@concentric.net
NoFaDz

Post by NoFaDz »

Sorry this isn't an answer, but I wanted Stephen
to know he's not crazy.

<p>

I too own an Ensoniq Soundscape (a really great card)
and sound worked up until MAME version .33

<p>

All of a sudden, nothing. Kaputz. Games run fine,
but no sound.

<p>

I'm freakin' out myself.

<p>

--NoFaDz
http://www.nofadz.com

--
starless@beavis.intercom.net
Chris Moore

Post by Chris Moore »

Sorry guys, I know nothing about this problem.
<p>

I've passed it on to the MAME Developers' List though, so hopefully something will happen.

--
zwaxy@bigfoot.com
Chris Moore

Post by Chris Moore »

From a MAME team member, in response to me forwarding the queries from this board:
<p>

Well, I brought one of these cheap-ass Ensoniq PCI soundcards home just to prove the theory and quite frankly, I tried for a good couple hours to make it work right with MAME with NO avail. I am a professional technician, so I can understand the common folk having problems making it work.

<p>

When you BUY a "compatible" sound card, it just plain isn't a Sound Blaster - period. Spend the extra $10 and buy Creative Labs if you want complete reliability.

<p>

Just my two cents.

--
zwaxy@bigfoot.com
Chris Moore

Post by Chris Moore »

From another MAME team member:
<p>

I second all that. My Soundscape gave me so many headaches w/ Win95 doing DOS apps. Creative Labs is the way to go...

--
zwaxy@bigfoot.com
glen lewis

Post by glen lewis »

I have the same prob with .33. no sound in dos and i have an awe64
<p>

houston there may be a problem

--
glenlewis@hotmail.com
tony rogo

Post by tony rogo »

I have the same prob using a sound blaster 16 !
Running arcadeos and mame in dos.
I have sound in arcadeos but not when I run a game ??
Must try a new version of mame, when i get time :)

--
rogoth@esc.net.au