Moderator: Chad

Zwaxy

a question for you - is this legal???

Post by Zwaxy »

Someone (don't know if he wanted me to say who he is) just
emailed me:

<p>

> I have to question Neil Chapmans Pacman recordings. He's a
> fantastic player and his Ms.Pacman recording is incredible.
> But the four Pacman files he recently uploaded are actually
> the same file, not only has he used the same Pacman file for
> Pacplus but also submitted them both for the speedup cheat
> versions. Giving him 40 points for one game! Is that legal?

<p>

And I don't know the answer. Since I've always made the rules
up as I went along, guided by what you guys shouted at me, I
thought I'd put this out there, too.

<p>

My own feelings on this are that if he's good enough at pacman
that he doesn't need to use the cheat then he should be allowed
to submit a normal pacman recording as a pacman-fast recording
too - he's at a disadvantage doing so, but that doesn't seem to
matter. And... since I'm stupid enough to allow 2 identical
games with just different graphics, then I don't see how I can
disallow identical recordings for them... I guess at the end of
the day if the recording scores the points he claims then the job's
a good'un.

<p>

Non? Whatcha reckon?

--
zwaxy@bigfoot.com
Dith

Neil's Pacman recordings

Post by Dith »

Well, I've had second thoughts on this. Submitting same INPs for multiple games should be a good things because it can be used to group some of the games. In this particular case, Neil played a stunning game and was clever (and cheeky) enough to submit it four times. Thumbs up and let's see if anyone else can take advantage of any similar loopholes.
<p>

Dith

--
dith@europress.co.uk
Krool.

multiple games/same recording....

Post by Krool. »

you can do it with heaps of games, especially the old clones, but i dunno about sending in one inp for 4 seperate games. if it was 4 different inp's then it would show that the effort was put in.
but this is not the case, and instantly noticable by the same score. its truly a sad way to show 4 games...why not just play them all if he thinks hes so good ? DO IT AGAIN

--
kellyq@ihug.co.nz
JoustGod

Ya gotta put in the work!

Post by JoustGod »

OK, there is no doubt that Neil will end up as this board's PacMan champ. However, if you are to receive points for the leaderboard, at least make the effort to earn them. No matter how great the score was, the fact remains that it was acheived on only one game...end of story. Yes, Neil appears to be quite capable of running all PacMan/Ms.PacMan originals and clones and he most likely will. Do us a favor and only reward the points for each game that was actually played.
<p>

On the same note, fast versions should be played fast! This is the way these versions appeared in the arcades and you had no choice to slow the game down. So do fast games fast and the regular games regular. Post the resulting monster scores from each individual effort and I think everybody will be much more satisfied with this approach. Like I said, Neil will likely rule here, but I don't care how good a player is, 10 pts. per game. Clumping all the other clone games together should not be allowed either. Each game was an individual game on the market in one respect or another and should be treated as such.

<p>

Thanks for listening to this rant!
JoustGod

--
pinballwiz1@msn.com
BeeJay

He should have to play them all.......

Post by BeeJay »

I'm afraid I have to agree with the others. He really should have to play them all to get all the scores - and he no doubt will do just this. We don't mind a person who's good at a game claiming all the clones as long as they put in the time to do so. I had to say that what with my current status on Galaxians now didn't I.... ;-)
<p>

So put me in the "it shouldn't be allowed" category.

<p>

BeeJay.

--
bjohnstone@cardinal.co.nz
angry

He should have to play each game separately

Post by angry »

I was tempted to do something similar as Neil has done, but I refrained, as I felt that it wasn't in the spirit of the Replay page. (Unfortunately, I've since forgotten which game it was). I agree with everyone else, that you should earn each individual score.
<p>

Additionally, I think that all scores submitted for the "fast" versions of the games should be played with the speed-up cheat enabled - the idea of adding them as a separate listing is to create an additional game to learn. I realize that Neil can dominate Pacman in it's original mode, but how far can he get using the speed-up cheat?

<p>

Just my $.02 -- Angry

--
greggg@ix.netcom.com
BBH

Play them ALL!

Post by BBH »

I agree with everyone else... no matter how impressive the
recording is, put the time and effort in and play each version
separately. You already have an edge if you can get the highest
score in that game, since you can gain more points by playing
the bootlegs/alternate versions and dominating those too. But
just playing it once should not count multiple times. Is it
really fair for someone to get 40 points for playing a single
game when a different player gets 40 points for doing 4 different
recordings for 4 different games?

<p>

-BBH

--
lordbbh@aol.com
Krool.

so...the mob has spoken, is it an unwritten law now ?

Post by Krool. »

my point is...what exactly is the difference between 1942 and the alternate set ? i see NO differences, none.

--
kellyq@ihug.co.nz