What an interesting night I had...

Archive of the old message board

Moderator: Chad

stephen krogman

What an interesting night I had...

Post by stephen krogman »

Last night me and my friend went to this hugh arcade called Grand Prix Golf-O-Rama and while standing on line to go in, about 2 people in front of me was this guy that looked really familiar, it happened to me Billy Mitchell. With his family owned sports bars that he manages it's almost impossible for him to get a Saturday night off and spend it at an arcade. He was with a few friends that were from out of town. We talked for a few minutes before I ended up hooking up with him about 30 minutes after we had been inside. While on line, I had told him about Walter Day adding Rick Fothergils Ms Pacman score of 910K on his page beating the current world champ Chris Ayra by 36K. He quickly responded with "910K huh, oh Chris has allready beaten that score..." He wouldn't tell me because he wants to keep quite about it for sometime before the next book comes out. Then he'll surprise everyone. Anyway, 30 min. later, I walked around to look for him and found him playing mspacman (turbo) with my friend, he was explaining to my friend his strategy and grouping method that him and chris uses to achieve such high scores. I was dumb founded when I was watching him do the things he was doing. It was unbelievable to see in person! and way too complicated to explain allthough he did it like he had his eyes closed, he explained what each one of the ghosts was going to do and they did it! Then he showed me his strategy on Centipede which is what got him his score of 25M and the world record. My jaw hit the floor on this one as well. I can't wait for Walter to put a Coordination Day Tournement together combining arcade games and mame and hold it for not only US participants but to other countries as well. If anything, it would be held in Iowa where the birth of Twin Galaxies is. I wonder if any of the players MARP has from over seas would attend. It would be a BIG event, not just another arcade high score contest. It would be like the big event that was published in Guinness back around 85' Steve Krogman

--
skrogman@concentric.net
Stig Remnes

Post by Stig Remnes »

I would come to such a competition if i could raise the money.
If its announced sometime before,i could possibly make it.

<p>

Stig

--
sremnes@samsen.com
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Were it not for the prohibitive cost of getting from good old NZ to
the US of A I would definitely be there. :-(

<p>

However, I'm not sure my wife or the kids would be too happy for me
to "waste the money for such a frivilous trip". If it was my words
it would be "invest the money in such a marvellous opportunity" !!!!

<p>

Now unless I win a million in lotto (in which case I'd shout Krool
and JSW the trip over as well) I guess you won't be seeing me there -
much and all as I'd love to be there.

<p>

Cheers,
BeeJay.

--
bjohnstone@cardinal.co.nz
Krool.

Post by Krool. »

well, i personally would love to go to some arcade players convention,
sit in my own little corner ona few of my fav machines ^_^
permanently like ^_^

<p>

beejay, nice offer, ill be around to get my tickets soon okay ? :P

<p>

ya, if i could get sponsorship or something so i can play old arcade
games in some other country, i would do it... sadly, its a non reality
here

<p>

Krool.
aaaaah, wishing of a place far far away...

--
kellyq@ihug.co.nz