What do you want to play for our test round?

Discussion about MARP's Time Trial Competition
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net/timetrial

Moderator: giro-X

mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

If you had played it at all, or even watched an inp or two, then you'd have known that you don't restart stages when you die.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

mahlemiut wrote:If you had played it at all, or even watched an inp or two, then you'd have known that you don't restart stages when you die.
Show me where I said that. Now you are just adding whatever you want to what I said.

I never said you restart/replay a stage after a death. I was wrong and admitted to not knowing that the arcade version didn't loop back like the console versions of the game do.

You do however, get to take more time and leech more points after you die in an area.

Someone that gets through an area in 25 seconds versus someone taking 50 seconds...guess which player will get more score for that area? The 50 second guy for sure. Now take that 50 second guy..and have him die in the area...now perhaps he intentionally or unintentionally takes 80 seconds to get through that area total now cuz he has extra time and thus takes his time...whether intentionally leeching or not this results in a higher score.
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: re....

Post by mahlemiut »

LN2 wrote:....although as often as I would likely be dying and replaying through parts I might end up high anyway. hehe
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
MrBunny
Button Masher
Button Masher

CONTRA you mo fos

Post by MrBunny »

I like the time trial idea just because it gives a good reason to re-visit those games that you have stopped playing because of score maximization and lack of time. ](*,)

Less than 7 minutes will win Contra :lol: (add a minute for the credits to roll). Its perfect for testing.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

mahlemiut wrote:
LN2 wrote:....although as often as I would likely be dying and replaying through parts I might end up high anyway. hehe
Fair enough...I can understand how you read it that way. That isn't exactly what I meant by that though. Although in the maze area doesn't the current screen you die on reset so you do replay that 1 screen worth?
That's how I'm remembering that.

It's the maze stages where I would end up losing most of my men.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

LN2 wrote:
mahlemiut wrote:
Fair enough...I can understand how you read it that way. That isn't exactly what I meant by that though. Although in the maze area doesn't the current screen you die on reset so you do replay that 1 screen worth?
That's how I'm remembering that.
no.
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

hey BBH... since you originated the idea of Contra, does the game allow continues? If so, how much penalty time should be added for continuing, if any?
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

gameboy9 wrote:hey BBH... since you originated the idea of Contra, does the game allow continues? If so, how much penalty time should be added for continuing, if any?
The game allows up to 3 continues. I think the number of continues can be changed in the dip switches but I can't check it at this moment.

The three minute penalty for continuing sounds good.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

destructor wrote:
Francois Daniel wrote: Yes but Contra is very easy, and a little too short for me :)
Francois
Then choose Kyros for 20 (and more) hours playing :D

I agree with BBH: Contra.
Ok ok, you win :)

Francois
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Francois Daniel wrote:
Ok ok, you win :)