What do you want to play for our test round?

Discussion about MARP's Time Trial Competition
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net/timetrial

Moderator: giro-X

gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

What do you want to play for our test round?

Post by gameboy9 »

So... what say ye? I'll probably randomize all the votes unless you clearly want to try a particular game.

When you vote, include:

1. How long the competition will last, and why. (remember, 0-1 hours to complete the game should be 10 days, 1-2 hours, 15 days, 2+ hours, 20 days)
2. Wheather there should be a penalty for continuing, up to three minutes, and why there should be a penalty. (that's in addition to the time you lose trying to start a new game)
3. If you want a time limit game or a game to completion, and why.
4. If the game is near-infinite and you want a game of completion, how many stages it will take to complete the game.
5. Anything I forgot about that you should be talking about. :)

If you write down everything I'm requesting, you have a chance that that game will be picked. :) (and for all those why's... those reasons can be short in length, of course. :) )
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: What do you want to play for our test round?

Post by Francois Daniel »

gameboy9 wrote: 1. How long the competition will last, and why. (remember, 0-1 hours to complete the game should be 10 days, 1-2 hours, 15 days, 2+ hours, 20 days)
2. Wheather there should be a penalty for continuing, up to three minutes, and why there should be a penalty. (that's in addition to the time you lose trying to start a new game)
4. If the game is near-infinite and you want a game of completion, how many stages it will take to complete the game.
5. Anything I forgot about that you should be talking about. :)
So, the test game is Bubble Bobble, because it's a game with an ending and with 100 rounds. I mean it's a good choice for a test.

1. 15 days for 1-2 hours of play
2. 3 minutes penality for using any continue
3. Completion, end of inp after the boss is beated (the game must be play on 2 players for be finished)
4. All 100 stages must be played. No use of any warping will be allowed (even by umbrella or by reach level 50 with first life)
5. Played on Default Setting

Francois
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

There's only technically an ending to Bubble Bobble if you play a 2 player game. And what about power up codes? (Normal MARP rules allow these, but not tournament rules)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

mahlemiut wrote:There's only technically an ending to Bubble Bobble if you play a 2 player game. And what about power up codes? (Normal MARP rules allow these, but not tournament rules)
Yes, as I said in point 3 :)

For power up codes, you mean those in the play ? As 30 jump for have speed fire ? I allow these because they don't change a lot the play finally.

But codes made before the play are forbidden.

Francois
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Power up codes as in entered on the title screen - Power up!, Original Game and Super.

Power up give permanent shoes, fast fire, and quick fire (there's a difference).

Original game gives the secret room doors on 20, 30, 40, plus the warp on level 50, regardless of whether you die or not.

Super swaps enemies around. Different enemies will appear on each stage. This is the only way of getting the true ending too, but you still need 2 players to for that ending.

My opinion - allow Power up and/or Super, but not original game as you already said no warping. Power up makes it easier and fairer, but it's still not all that easy, especially if you still have to go through rounds 51-69.
- Barry Rodewald
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

I honestly don't think Bubble Bobble is a good game for testing out time trials. It is a LONG game, and not many players are capable of finishing it on one credit. And correct me if I'm wrong, but the game does NOT have a regular continue option... the only way to extend play is to start playing on the 2P side right as you lose your last life.

If a game is too long, it doesn't encourage much "repeat" play, i.e. players wouldn't be able to try as often as possible to be able to beat their times.
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by JoustGod »

Agreed, BBH.

I think centtime is the perfect model you should be pursuing. It is short and to the point. Especially with Deca2004 on the horizon, I doubt that you'll find many people interested in dedicating lenghthy gameplay. Go for a type of competition that has a much shorter playtime parameter.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

Actually Matt , you can continue ad infinitum on Bubble Bobble .

Consider yourself corrected !

Cheers ,

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
mike_myers
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by mike_myers »

-------------------
1. How long the competition will last, and why. (remember, 0-1 hours to complete the game should be 10 days, 1-2 hours, 15 days, 2+ hours, 20 days)
5. Anything I forgot about that you should be talking about.
-------------------

The game: Street Hoop

1. 10 days (0-1 hours)
2. No penalty
3. With limit. It ends when you finish 1st stage.
4. It isn't near-infinite
5. Scoring: points difference in that match
BBH
Editor

Re: re....

Post by BBH »

AL wrote:Actually Matt , you can continue ad infinitum on Bubble Bobble .

Consider yourself corrected !

Cheers ,

AL
Umm, are you sure? What version are you playing? I could've sworn the last time I tried bublbobl, I let all three lives die at the beginning, and then immediately the screen comes up showing what the highest round reached that day was. There is no prompting asking you to continue.

Anyways, I was thinking that Contra would be a good game for time attack purposes. It is pretty short (around 10 minutes to finish) and isn't too unreasonable to finish. Just takes a little practice.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

How about Camel Try (Special Course). No "warping" through walls, best time wins. It's a short game, and after a few tries you are guaranteed to be able to always finish the game. so...

Game: Camel Try (Special Course)

1. 10 days (0-1hours)
2. No continuing. Even if continuing is allowed, that just means you are slow (or just hit an aweful lot of negative time), and won't be getting high in the rankings.
3. Game has a built in timer (total time given after game completion)
4. N/A
5. No warping through walls.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

You can NOT continue in Bubble Bobble unless you have another player playing at the same time.
Game: Camel Try (Special Course)
NOOOOOOOooooooo! Not again!
- Barry Rodewald
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Super hangon and Outrun might be good short games to try out. No offroad trick allowed though :P
QRS
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: re....

Post by LN2 »

BBH wrote:I was thinking that Contra would be a good game for time attack purposes. It is pretty short (around 10 minutes to finish) and isn't too unreasonable to finish. Just takes a little practice.
what?!?

Since when can you go through a whole loop of Contra in only 10 minutes?!?

Just viewed scores for Contra...seems like a golden case where having that as a time of completion record would be better...cuz the scores are all based on amount of leeching done throughout or just the skill of the player.

I see a few completed it with far less score than others. I'd bet those are actually the more skilled replays...extreme efficiency of just getting through it all.

QRS, LOL
Metrackle
Mutant Puzzle Freak

Post by Metrackle »

Megaman: The Power Battle

1. 10 Days, 0-1 hours
2. One minute penalty for continuing, because you pick up exactly where you left off when you died
3. Completion, because this game can be beaten very quickly, is pretty easy to beat, and as mentioned before when you continue, you pick up where you left off when you died
4. Eight short stages
5. Path: Megaman 7; Difficulty: Hard