Discussion about MARP's Time Trial Competition
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net/timetrial

Moderator: giro-X

CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: 2011 Time Trials - Grand Final - Galaxian

Post by CrazyKongFan »

What's up with the scores? Everyone (except Rax) submitted them in the 500,000 and 600,000's...shouldn't they be low, like 635, 531, 500, etc?
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

CrazyKongFan wrote:What's up with the scores? Everyone (except Rax) submitted them in the 500,000 and 600,000's...shouldn't they be low, like 635, 531, 500, etc?
Yeah, you're right. It should be 100 points per completed stage plus (48-x) points, where x is the number of aliens remaining on a stage.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

I was confused when I saw el_fumador doing that way. I´ll change the points. Sorry.
Last edited by INNUENDO on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long life to good games
el_fumador
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by el_fumador »

Yes, we should use the same criterium for the scores.
Yesterday, I thought to submit my inp based on the number of defeated enemies, like Rax did. In that case my score would be 259 = (46 * 5) + 29 if I remember correctly.
Finally, I chose the formula like previous rounds: (100.000 * number of passed rounds) + (48 - enemies remaining).
Anyway, from now on it's clear --> (100 * number of passed rounds) + (48 - enemies remaining).

Don't confuse the number of rounds passed with the number of flags. Flags are 1 unit higher than completed rounds.
Last edited by el_fumador on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

el_fumador wrote:Yes, we should use the same criterium for the scores.
Yesterday, I thought to submit my inp based on the number of defeated enemies, like Rax did. In that case my score would be 259 = (46 * 5) + 29 if I remember correctly.
Finally, I chose the formula like previous rounds: (100.000 * number of rounds passed) + (48 - enemies remaining).
Anyway, from now on it's clear --> (100 * number of rounds passed) + (48 - enemies remaining).
For that reason I´ve submitted like 500.000 instead 500.
Long life to good games
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

I thank el_fumador (and some others in somewhere else) for the little encouragement ;) but I've decided to abandon.
[reasons - SKIP IF YOU'RE TOO LAZY]
I've tried enough (12 hours in two days and a night) gameplay to understand if I have chances or not to get a "good" score. Good is an odd concept, but well, trust me, some of you can complete 5 stages in less than 5 minutes and I can't survive over frame 9000 and\or stage 3, and this after 12 hours that means lot and lot of plays... no good at all. I've played 24 hours that time with Knights of the Round and I was going so well that I could have reached first position if only I could spent some hours more... here in half the time I'm doing worse than worst...

Autofire is prohibited as MARP rules - is not? I bet my arm I read it was PRO-HI-BI-TED - so you have to tip tip tip tip tip tip a lot the key, and my hand can't resist half of an hour with that rhythm and so I need a pause, long times for training and so on. There's not "long time" for training, and some of you are in advantage because the game is pretty famous, that's Obvious that someone has tried it in the past.

While playing an arcade tournament, no matter how hard this is, one should feel entertained, shouldn't see the whole thing like a work. And since I'm not enjoying so much to not reach the 10.000th frame, and improvements never come, I should not play. But I admit it with pleasure, I had fun the previous weeks, and I got my small great results, a third place and a second place and a total first place after 2 games, in my first tournament, brings me a lot of satisfaction :)

I fail on this game - I don't wanna know how much hard is in general, I evidently fail - and this makes me anxiety and depression.
[/reasons]

Hints or complainings or critics or call them as you want, after 4 weeks and half of tournament
The five-different-genres rule in my opinion has quite NOT be followed. Even if we could call Galaxian as shoot, it's a golden era game at the same time, and so 2,5 games (Galaxian - Joust - and Vs. Slalom is quite golden era, I guess) of 5 were of the Golden era. And really, golden era IS a self-genre, the main skills required for g.era games are a lot of love\passion for these games, patience and PRECISION. The idea of different genres was great because, since quite everyone has a genre in which fails or is pretty weak, can fix the performance with other genres failure-less. If a genre is repeated twice, then is a penality for them who are condamned to a bad play, and an advantage for the ones who are EXPERT and skilled with that genre. Come on, it's obvious, if only there were 2 puzzle games instead of one, how many critics do you imagine would have come out?

I must disagree on what GB9 said, that most of the games are hard. No, absolutely no. There are many easy games and many hard games, mixed to famous unfamous pretty ugly etc. (this doesn't mean: famous game --> hard game), a thing that could be quite always hard is to end a game with 1 credit...
So, I'm sure of what I'm saying when I notice that this tournament, in its complex, has been "hard". The reason of this is probably due to the max. limit of stages allowed, that was probably related to an assumed total max. time (something like 10 minutes?)... probably, or probably were some games more harder than the others. But watching the results I don't see a lot of players that have reached the max. stages allowed, except for Puzzled\JoyJoyKid which limit was well thought.
That's human, I don't want to offend neither to appear like a wise, but I just don't agree so much with the situation.

I still wanna hear opinions about this, since I fail a lot and so I can pretty fail also with thoughts... good luck to others - and have fun.
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Well, Giro-X. It´s your choice and I respect this. For example... if the final game was Puzzled Joy Joy or Joust, believe me, I´ll give up. I understant when the player hasn´t something in common with the game.

You have your value. You tried, tried and tried. I won´t judge you, because I know your feeling.

Well, for my lucky, I like Galaxian, but my mischance is... I have only 4:51 to do a good work, and I guess I cannot do better than this.

See you in next tournament! :)
Long life to good games
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

this game is damn hard. I cant even clear the first stage 8O
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Well Giro-X, that is an interesting analysis of golden era games... so I definitely think you have a valid argument for thinking that way about Golden Era games. (BTW, the Golden Era, as I understand it, ended in 1983, so Vs. Slalom, made in 1986, is most certainly not Golden Era)

I will take this into consideration when I create my "postmortem" forum post on Sunday or Monday. Thanks.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Thanks also to you and Innuendo for the comprehension. I know, that is a sad choice, but I felt it was the better.
(1983... I see, thanks ^^ I didn't know the exact year, that's why I have put a ,5 at the end...)
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Just a little FYI, assuming TheBSM's latest score holds as claimed (I can't check right now), there will be a tie for first place. TheBSM will hold the tiebreaker and would win the time trials if it ended now, as he had 48 seconds more bonus time than Potante. (see rule 5d in my introduction)
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Hi.

I would want to give you my opinion about the time trial...

Since the beginning of the time trial, almost all games needed 10 minutes of play to reach the goal of each round and it was really painful according to the results of the game chosen...

For the last round, the best of the previous rounds have 7 minutes and the last have 4 minutes... so i don't understand why this last round is only under 10 minutes... And more, the difference between the first and the last position is really too big to give a chance for everyone to win the last round ! And on galaxian, there is no really strategy to cut the time spent by 2 !

I think that difficulty of the last round is not equal to all the other rounds ! Playing during 4 minutes at galaxian is not so hard comparing to the other rounds...

Finally, i'm a llitle bit disappointed of the time trial because i thought that it will be a competition to find ways to play games with another strategy. I would have preffered to play only 5 minutes on each game but using the best strategy to make some points or to find shorcuts. In fact, the gamers who played the game until the end (without taking some risks) are better than the one who tries other strategies but who can't reach the goal of each round.

Now, my only goal is to do as best as Innuendo which is the other competitor with the same time as me because i know that i can't have a chance to beat the one with 7 minutes...

Cheers.
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

(like you ever tell me...)
Go Innuendo, go go go!!!
Vamos lá... vc consegue!!!
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Oww, irmão! O problema é que 4:51 é pouquíssimo tempo para vencer. Tentarei melhorar meu score, mas tá difícil.

Obrigadooooooooo, MESTRE VALTEEEEEEEEER! Vc tinha que estar participando, poxa...
Long life to good games
el_fumador
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by el_fumador »

From one point of view, I agree with Sawys about the last game. Differences higher than 1 min or a bit more are impossible to recover, especially if the rivals better qualified than you do the things properly. The difficulty of this game isn't very high at the begining if you've have played several times in the past. Sawys, I saw your Galaxian score in the past so for you I suposse it won't be very hard surely ;)
But I'm conscious that there are people thinking the opposite (for them is quite hard since the begining). Difficulty increases when you reach 5 or 6 levels, not before. But the real difficulty of Galaxian is be able to shoot with accurate. This topic is critical, for saving time and for survival too.
Considering times between 4 minutes and 7 minutes, it's true that only a few players have real chances of victory, more than a half are discarded absolutely :(

From another point of view, it seems fair that the best qualified competitors (Dalar, TheBSM and Chrono256) can take a clear advantage of their priviledged positions during the final game. They have been the most balanced players and logically is expected that they can count with more options to win the Time Trial.
If all had 10 minutes (or a similar time) to play Galaxian, this situation would probably harm the firsts classified. In that case, somebody could try to keep alive by assuming less risks, completing the more stages as possbile but with a conservative tactic. It's not easy to survive 10 minutes in Galaxian, I don't know how many of us could do it... I didn't bet money for me.
I mean, if we would have of a "big" quantity of time, the resistant players could beat the quickest players.
Although times lower than 7 minutes are a bit short (under 5 minutes really short) to show all our ability in Galaxian, I guess it's quite complex to find an interval of time that satisfy all players.
So, I think Gameboy9 has planned the final game correctly and fairly.