Moderator: giro-X

RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

TimeTrial 2013 - R2 - Pitfall II (game completed) [pitfall2]

Post by RAX »

TimeTrial 2013 - R2 - Pitfall II (game completed) [pitfall2]

Image Image

It's platform time, here is Pitfall II, by SEGA, year 1985.

I don't know if it fits Golden Era specifications, anyway this is the first arcade I ever played when I was a child: maybe it's not really 'golden', but for sure it's 'era' :D

Its musics are nice, even if they become quite repetitive (the mines' song is my favourite). In this platform you are harmeless, you can't shoot anything, only avoid dangers and walk to the end. I think you could complete the task in less than 12 minutes, but there is a tricky challenge: You'll find a diamond in the mines, and after picking it up you'll have to walk quite much to find again the right mine car. That exact mine car flies under the place where diamond is, but apparently you can't fall inside it. At least, even with good timing, I didn't succeed. Maybe some of you will, this could save much time.

Just like the first turn: Wolfmame 150 and default settings. The goal in this tournament is the game completed.

Round Duration: Sunday November 3rd, 00:00:00 GMT - Saturday November 9th, 23:59:59 GMT
TIME REMAINING

Here are the resources:
Wolfmame 150 - Batch files for this game
There are 3 batch files inside each zip:
Play.bat (normal play without recording, you can train with pause or savestates)
Record.bat (to record a new inp, keeps backup of the previous recording)
Replay.bat (to see the last recorded inp)
You can notice that only play.bat has changed, I hope these batch will be useful for you to play with newer WolfMAME in the future too.

Good luck to everyone participating, and now run!
Last edited by RAX on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: TimeTrial 2013 - R2 - Pifall II (game completed) [pitfal

Post by RAX »

Scoreboard

Final standings:
1 - (Stage4) 34.456 frames [09min 33sec] - TRB_MetroidTeam - download - Ok - 25 pts
2 - (Stage4) 34.856 frames [09min 40sec] - Paulo Valmir - download - Ok - 20 pts
3 - (Stage4) 35.685 frames [09min 54sec] - Krj - download - Ok - 16 pts
4 - (Stage4) 36.221 frames [10min 03sec] - Franco Benedetti - download - Ok - 13 pts
5 - (Stage4) 36.524 frames [10min 08sec] - Beejay - download - Ok - 11 pts
6 - (Stage4) 37.748 frames [10min 28sec] - Shahbaz - download - Ok - 10 pts
7 - (Stage4) 49.354 frames [13min 41sec] - SFCHAMPION - download - Ok - 9 pts
8 - (Stage3) 31.260 frames [08min 40sec] - Giro-x - download - Ok - 8 pts
9 - (Stage3) 35.488 frames [09min 51sec] - CrazyKongFan - download - Ok - 7 pts
10 - (Stage2) 25.219 frames [06min 60sec] - nibbler69 - download - Ok - 6 pts
11 - (Stage2) 25.959 frames [07min 12sec] - Agodzilla - download - Ok - 5 pts
12 - (Stage2) 29.388 frames [08min 09sec] - nii-san - download - Ok - 4 pts
13 - (Stage2) 31.632 frames [08min 46sec] - Colman Paolo - download - Ok - 3 pts
14 - (Stage1) 12.904 frames [03min 35sec] - DaLar - download - Ok - 2 pts
15 - (Stage1) 13.337 frames [03min 42sec] - Kernzy - download - Ok - 1 pt

Code: Select all

Pos. PLAYER            TOTAL       Out Zone     Pitfall II
 1 - TRB_MetroidTeam    50            25            25             0             0             0
 2 - Krj                29            13            16             0             0             0
 3 - Paulo Valmir       28             8            20             0             0             0
 4 - Franco Benedetti   24            11            13             0             0             0
 4 - nii-san            24            20             4             0             0             0
 4 - Giro-x             24            16             8             0             0             0
 7 - Shahbaz            17             7            10             0             0             0
 8 - Beejay             16             5            11             0             0             0
 9 - SFCHAMPION         13             4             9             0             0             0
10 - Chrono256          10            10             0             0             0             0
11 - Sawys               9             9             0             0             0             0
12 - Kernzy              7             6             1             0             0             0
12 - CrazyKongFan        7             0             7             0             0             0
14 - Agodzilla           6             1             5             0             0             0
14 - nibbler69           6             0             6             0             0             0
16 - Colman Paolo        5             2             3             0             0             0
17 - BDFil               3             3             0             0             0             0
18 - DaLar               2             0             2             0             0             0
19 - Phil Lamat          0             0             0             0             0             0
Last edited by RAX on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: TimeTrial 2013 - R2 - Pifall II (game completed) [pitfal

Post by giro-X »

Golden era, platform, SEGA. I feel like I'll suck a lot in this round 8O

(small typo in the discussion title... pitfall is missing a T)
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: TimeTrial 2013 - R2 - Pitfall II (game completed) [pitfa

Post by RAX »

Title corrected, thanks Giro-x. Sometimes it's useless to read and read and read a post, if you can't see it, you can't. :D
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

uh-oh!!
:oops:
i think Paolo V will kicj some posteria on this one!
here's hoping one of the games will be something i've played before!!
good luck all!
:)
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

this game is rubbish!!
:lol:
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

A couple of "stupid" deaths early on that cost me some frames, but here's a starter for now. This one is definitely more mind kind of game...

Level: Completed.
Frames: 47630 - 133 = 47497

I took the starting frame as the first frame where Harry took a step, and the ending frame as at the frame in which the score is updated when taking the final stage crown. Hope that was the appropriate points for taking the frame counts?

I think this will end up being quite a tight game in terms of the number of frames taken.... some of the frame count will probably depend on the "random" elements on the lava rock and fruit stages as to how many frames you have to wait to get a suitable combination that allows you to jump across the hole in the floor. 8)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Attachments
pitfall2.zip
(340.91 KiB) Downloaded 644 times
Last edited by BeeJay on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

kernzy wrote:this game is rubbish!!
:lol:
Give it some more time and it will probably grow on you. I'm actually quite enjoying it... :)
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

IMPORTANT: For these early Sega games to reliably playback you need to make sure you turn off automatic frame skipping and preferably use frameskip=0 or you'll almost certainly have playback issues. I thought we had this as a special rule on Marp for some of these early Sega games but it would appear not for this one.

You also can't afford to turn on frame skipping during playback or they'll go out of sync. Sometimes turning off throttling is also enough to put the game out of sync on a different computer to the one it was recorded on.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

BeeJay wrote:IMPORTANT: For these early Sega games to reliably playback you need to make sure you turn off automatic frame skipping and preferably use frameskip=0 or you'll almost certainly have playback issues. I thought we had this as a special rule on Marp for some of these early Sega games but it would appear not for this one.

You also can't afford to turn on frame skipping during playback or they'll go out of sync. Sometimes turning off throttling is also enough to put the game out of sync on a different computer to the one it was recorded on.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Actually my batch files already disable autoframeskip, although they do not force frameskip=0 this should be enough. In my test I had a good playback performance, anyhow people not using my batch files pay attention to this. Thanks Beejay.

BeeJay wrote:I think this will end up being quite a tight game in terms of the number of frames taken.... some of the frame count will probably depend on the "random" elements on the lava rock and fruit stages as to how many frames you have to wait to get a suitable combination that allows you to jump across the hole in the floor.
I'd like that this turn more people could finish the game, this would be a knife-between-your-teeth battle, but I expect that in a week this is not only due to randomness of fruits.

PS, Beejay, no inp attached :wink:
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

RAX wrote:
BeeJay wrote:I think this will end up being quite a tight game in terms of the number of frames taken.... some of the frame count will probably depend on the "random" elements on the lava rock and fruit stages as to how many frames you have to wait to get a suitable combination that allows you to jump across the hole in the floor.
I'd like that this turn more people could finish the game, this would be a knife-between-your-teeth battle, but I expect that in a week this is not only due to randomness of fruits.
It should be a good battle as this is not too hard a game to finish. Especially if you practice the later stages using save states. Getting the "perfect" run will be an interesting battle, looking for ways to shave off frames here and there along the way as well. :)
RAX wrote:PS, Beejay, no inp attached :wink:
Doh! Attached now. :oops:

Cheers,
BeeJay.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

BeeJay wrote:IMPORTANT: For these early Sega games to reliably playback you need to make sure you turn off automatic frame skipping and preferably use frameskip=0 or you'll almost certainly have playback issues. I thought we had this as a special rule on Marp for some of these early Sega games but it would appear not for this one.

Is this still an issue? A lot of those old playback issues (such as changing frameskip or pausing on gun games) went away when the core was re-written for 0.107.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

mahlemiut wrote:

Is this still an issue? A lot of those old playback issues (such as changing frameskip or pausing on gun games) went away when the core was re-written for 0.107.
In my testing here, turning on frame skipping during the playback made it lose sync quite quickly, so yes for this game at least it's still an issue during playback. I haven't actually tried to see what happens during recording, however given the ancient machine that I did my recording on there should be no need to use frame skipping for this game.

ie: The machine I'm using is actually 10+ years old, but it's the only machine we have with a PS/2 style keyboard connector for my HotRodSE. I guess soon I'm going to have to convince myself to get a replacement arcade controller.... but that's probably a good thing as the the current one is starting to malfunction occasionally, which is probably not surprising given that I've had it since before Marp T1 was held back in '99 !! 8)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Well, I just tried to watch your INP. Pressed Page Down (fast forward on SDL builds) a number of times, and it played back fine for me.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Interesting. I can get it to run most of the time ok with throttling turned off, but as soon as I turn on any level of frame skipping it quickly loses sync on the windows build.... at least on the machine I was using for recording and playback it does?!?

BeeJay.