http://gameboy9.marpirc.net/timetrial

Moderator: giro-X

giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

TimeTrial 2015 Announcement - Rules

Post by giro-X »

Hello again, arcaders :D
I'm glad to organize and run for you the next TimeTrial, and I hope you will have fun too. I always take care in choosing entertaining and different/various titles, and dedicate enough time to their testing and the refining of rules, and all that's needed.

Without much hesitation, here we go with the schedule, rules, explanations, and so on. We're already too late for my tastes :roll:
I promise I'll seriously try to reduce the length of my walls of text, also. :-"

1) Length/dates of TimeTrial --- The length of this TimeTrial is of five weeks, from 00:00 GMT of 2015, January 3rd to 23:59 GMT of 2015, February 6th.
Five games, one week per game >> five weeks. Each week starts at 00:00 GMT of a Saturday, and ends at 23:59 GMT of a Friday (not the best option but I must ensure you I'll be there the nights of game changing).
The coordinator has the right to extend the deadline(s) for bad server reasons.

2) Games chosen --- Each game is already been chosen by me, and a copy of the original list will be provided in the next post, so at the end of tournament it can be compared with games effectively played. All games are of 5 different genres and 5 different manufacturers.

3) Goal --- To clear the defined amount of stages, screens, etc. in the shortest time. The times on all titles will be considered as the sum of frames from the moment you take control of the character to the moment you reach the goal or complete your highest stage before "Game Over"; only the 5th game makes exception, as it has an internal timer which makes things easier (and has centiseconds).
Uncompleted stages won't count. Scoreboards will count on completed stages first, and then on the best time needed to complete them.

4) Scoring --- Each game/time will give you a tournament score, according to this criterion (same as previous TimeTrial):
1st classified in the game gets 25 pts,
2nd gets 20 pts,
3rd gets 16 pts,
4th gets 13 pts,
5th gets 11 pts,
and then scores go on as 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0-0-0... pts.
The sum of all games scores will determine the final scoreboard. In addition, to encourage players to participate, and dedicate as much efforts as most players will do, you can get ranked in 1st/2nd/3rd position of final scoreboard only if you played at least 3 of 5 games.
4.a) In case of a tie --- If a tie happens in a singular game (and that means: same number of stages cleared, with exactly same number of frames), it will stay as a tie. We count on the fact that it's quite impossible that this eventuality occurs. :wink:
Should this happen, the players in the tie will get the same score, that is the highest one in points (ex. if there's a tie between 3rd and 4th classified, both will get 16 pts).
If a tie happens in the final scoreboard (higher probabilities), we will follow the same mechanics described in previous TimeTrial rules (only ties in 1st/2nd/3rd positions will be resolved; number of games won in a head-to-head way will be counted). All ties not involving the podium will be declared as a tie.
[argh, a wall of text!]

5) Submissions --- You can either submit your recordings to MARP (including the string of text TT2015 in your INP description), or in the dedicated thread in the forum. Forum submissions are encouraged, as we are not playing for score but for time; also, the 5th game will be played in a special mode which won't return a score, so perhaps you may load it on MARP only with a score of 0 (zero). :-k
To encourage good sportsmanship, no recording can be uploaded 24 hours after you recorded it. If these periods are violated, the singular recording won't be considered.

6) Version of MAME to use --- WolfMAME 0.156 ONLY is allowed. If new versions will be available in future weeks, we still will use only the WolfMAME 0.156.
So, start to download it and set it up your way. :wink:

7) Extras
-All games are intended to be played with default MAME settings. If MARP has special rules for the designed game (ex. max 5 lives to use), they will be adopted.
-All bios (like for NeoGeo MVS) will also be default MAME settings.
-techniques banned from MARP are also banned in this TimeTrial.
-INPs sent that will include use of macros, autofire, 2 players cooperation, altered speed, will be not considered. To be precise about recording speed, it must be included between 95% and 100~101%.
-The time you claim must be done on the first credit of your recording. Failure to do so will result in your time being changed to what it was for th) first credit.
-Any exception allowed by the coordinator (...one exception only.) will be comunicated in the relative thread at the moment of game announcement.

GOOD, it is all so far. Any kind of replies are welcome (as far as you're polite as always, y'know :) ), let me know if you would like to discuss about some specific details of the rules.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: TimeTrial 2015 Announcement - Rules

Post by giro-X »

*RESERVED for additional info*

Dec 03 - I obviously have asked already to other MARP Tournaments coordinators if they are fine with my decision to run TT2015 in January. Wolfman, RedStar, Colman, have already agreed, I'm waiting Edusword to be absolutely sure I have the agreement of each.
Dec 07 - Also Edusword has agreed. We could say, confirmed in every aspect. Image
Attachments
TT15 list.zip
List of games/goals of this TimeTrial (serves as proof that I do not change games in the middle of tournament, and that I am not responsible for the games to be repeated in other non-MARP tournaments hosted at the same time. Password to open the ZIP will be communicated when revealing last game.)
(587 Bytes) Downloaded 710 times
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Just a reminder, 24 hours to start. No news to give from here, all seems to be going well. :-"
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Just to tell you i tried to create an event on the WAPU Facebook Group :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7532347 ... 060215586/
Attachments
MAME Time Trial 2015 v.jpg
MAME Time Trial 2015 v.jpg (197.43 KiB) Viewed 13317 times
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

sawys wrote:Just to tell you i tried to create an event on the WAPU Facebook Group :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7532347 ... 060215586/
:D I saw!
You spread the word more than I did, I'm so shy... that's nice of you!
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

I decided, to soften up things, even if I dislike to give/have tasks too easy :mrgreen: (but I thought it would be more pleasant this way enough), to reduce the rounds of next week (3rd week) to clear from 8 to 6. You don't know still the game so it's not big deal to know this in advance, but since I have a small proof of authenticity up there with games and goals described, that can be unlocked at the end... I have to state this.