Hosting problems and options (Please read this)

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

seymour
Site Admin

Hosting problems and options (Please read this)

Post by seymour »

I'm sure most of you have noticed by now the problems the forums have been having this month. None of which is really anything I can control, unfortunately.

First of all, the server the forums were on originally had the OS reinstalled, and not everything was put back on. And it's being a pain to get things back the way they were, so I just gave up. Currently, the forums are hosted on my home DSL connection, which has a dynamic IP and occasional (or often, recently) connectivity problems. This has also affected anybody with a marpirc.net subdomain or email (don't worry, none of the files have been lost). I just don't think I'll be able to host those on my DSL connection as well, my bandwidth is limited. And my server is a lot slower than the previous one.

Now, the part that I really don't like to have to do.

After a recommendation by Tech Knight, I've been looking at hosting plans with Dreamhost. They have good prices, and apparently really good service. The Level 1 package (Crazy Domain Insane) would be plenty for hosting the forums. Plus, it would enable me to have better options for users like a subdomain of their own, and instead of just an email forward some of you could have POP/IMAP/Web access to an @marpirc.net email.

Before I set up any kind of donation accepting thing, I wanted to mention it here first. I'd want to be able to sign up for a year of hosting with Dreamhost, which would be about $120 USD. Since I'd also be using this for some of my own pages as well, I'd be more than willing to pay some yet-to-be-determined part of that. Anybody that donated would definitely get a username.marpirc.net web space, as long as bandwidth/diskspace wasn't abused, although I'd trust you guys - and being limited to 15 subdomains, I'd probably have to limit that to 10 or so users with a subdomain, but marpirc.net/username would also be simple to set up. And a username@marpirc.net email address. With better features than what you had before.

I know there are a large number of active users on the forums here, so if even 10-20 of you donated $5-10, that would be enough for a year of good web hosting. I really dislike even having to bring up this subject, but I simply can't afford to pay for it all myself, and I hate to see the forums go down so often, or be slow. And of course, you would be mentioned on the site somewhere as being a valued contributer to the MARP Forums :)

Feel free to leave any comments about this, or discuss it, or bitch, or whatever. It's why I mentioned it here.
Last edited by seymour on Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Wow, that was completely unexpected. JTC was generous enough to donate hosting costs for the MARP Forums for two years. Everybody should thank him :)

I'll be getting this set up and switched over in the next day or two. Some things just take a while to be changed. But then things should run much smoother!

I can't thank him enough.

*goes off to configure stuff*
Chris Gushue
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

You are the man John! =D>
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

Nice one Mr.Cunningham .

But not fair . As usual , I am in my usual generous mood .

Seymour : gimme details how I can send funds to you .
JTC: I'll do likewise..
Zwaxy : feck off....no more beer for you....

Seriously guys , e-mail me , or PM , whatever....

And to most MARP-ers.....give a little...it'll do a lot.

Cheers ,

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yeah send me payment details to but i really strongly recommend usings zwaxy's paypal link, people donate and zwaxy can forward to you (or setup one for youself and the forum), it offers people who pay online with paypal or really anyone with a credit/debit card that wants to trust paypal with their number (i certainly do) an easy way to just sign up and donate with a few clicks.

You can do it with a checking account too, something i've been trying to do but haven't gotten around to it. I think you have to send them a voided check (maybe they changed it so all you need is the Bank# on the check to do it online) but that at least takes a week to get it all set up and mailed to paypal and such.
-skito
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

wow...you trust Zxaxy ?

He lives in the 'Land-of-Cheap-Beer' ( the El-Dorado of drinkers...) . You may as well donate your money to the British Justice System..... :roll:

Seriously . Me being not of short memory remembers the response Chris got to his fund request to maintain the site , let alone the Forums !!

We'll see . But history is sometimes a good indicator .

I'll gladly give up one nights drinking to help the cause... :lol:

Only one.....

Cheers ,

AL
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

The board is pretty fast now. Thanks JTC. You'll be able to enjoy your favourite game at this new speed soon I hope.
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

Nice one John, very generous of you. \:D/ Like Al though I'll try to do my bit as well if you let me know the details to send funds. It will all help for the future.

If I use Zwaxy's link how will I know the money will get to you Seymour? I know how hard it is to get hold of Zwaxy sometimes.
Darren
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

DRN wrote:If I use Zwaxy's link how will I know the money will get to you Seymour?
If you want to contribute to the marpirc.net hosting contact seymour directly. Don't send PayPal to Zwaxy.
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

Buttermaker wrote:If you want to contribute to the marpirc.net hosting contact seymour directly. Don't send PayPal to Zwaxy.
Sound advice. marpirc.net is nothing to do with me.
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Well, as you may have noticed, the forums are now happily on the new site. Dreamhost has this neat feature of being able to let people donate directly towards web hosting costs via PayPal - I'll probably set that up in the morning if anybody still does want to help out with future costs. We're good for a while now, though. And, if anybody ever decides to sign up with Dreamhost for their own web hosting, using me as a referral, that also helps towards the cost of hosting.

Here's that donation link (it didn't take long to set up): http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=1263
Chris Gushue
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Chad wrote: You can do it with a checking account too, something i've been trying to do but haven't gotten around to it. I think you have to send them a voided check (maybe they changed it so all you need is the Bank# on the check to do it online) but that at least takes a week to get it all set up and mailed to paypal and such.
You just need the routing information for your bank, I have it set up on my own PayPal account. It's quite handy :)
Chris Gushue
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

First donation , as promised .

Cheers ,

AL
Q.T.Quazar
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Q.T.Quazar »

thanx, JTC. maybe i can mail you some RMB. :)
--------------
BrokenVaus--Q.T.Quazar's law of MAME: Any game I am good at will have something seriously f***ed with its emulation.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

wow, Hi QT.