Webhosting service renewal - Thanks!

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

seymour
Site Admin

Webhosting service renewal - Thanks!

Post by seymour »

Just a head up - my hosting for marpirc.net will be up for renewal on March 2, 2005. I'm still in awe of, and greatly appreciate, the response I received last year when we were having massive server problems. You guys rule :)

If you wish to help out more, feel free to donate towards hosting costs via this link: http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=1263 - it uses Paypal to apply any donations directly to the bill.

The Google ads have been going well so far too, I think. Since setting them up in September, there's about $44 in the account (http://seymour.ath.cx/pics/index.php/ss ... dsense.png). They only send a cheque after $100 is built up, though. Which won't be before March at this rate. I'm not asking you guys to click like mad on them, but maybe just a random one when you first drop by any given day. Even just a few clicks a day adds up over time.

Of course, since I also use this for my own hosting, I'll be paying money myself :)

I'm slowly getting things back to normal on the forums...

Update (Mar 05 2005):

I'd like to thank everybody for their donations. We raised about $210, minus some Paypal fees for the donation link, and Google Ads are currently at $83.65 - that will be paying out when it gets to $100. So that's currently enough for the next year, and soon enough for the year beyond that. But feel free to donate whenever you like.

I've been really busy myself this year, between working full time and returning to school part time. But I do things with the site when I can, and will continue to do so.

Again, thanks everyone!
Last edited by seymour on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

do you know if the same person clicks the same link on the same machine multiple times will that count as multiple google clicks or not? clickbot!
-skito
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

Will do so again. I just wish the winners of GEGOTW would simply donate their winnings to the site costs.

After all, this site provides the fun/competition. Why not repay the site for allowing this?

Just my 2 Euro......

AL ( non uploader for yonks, but still has the spirit.....)
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
Skyline
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Skyline »

Chad wrote:do you know if the same person clicks the same link on the same machine multiple times will that count as multiple google clicks or not? clickbot!
IIRC, those multiple clicks will become null and void if they're by the same IP, within a set time period. Not sure if it's one click per IP every 24 hours or something. :/
「シューティング ラブ。」
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Skyline wrote:
Chad wrote:do you know if the same person clicks the same link on the same machine multiple times will that count as multiple google clicks or not? clickbot!
IIRC, those multiple clicks will become null and void if they're by the same IP, within a set time period. Not sure if it's one click per IP every 24 hours or something. :/
That's why I'll just click once or twice when I load up the page to read the forums. No need to go crazy.
Chris Gushue
Rat
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Rat »

If I click on the PayPal button on the MARP news page does the donation go to the same place for keeping the forums and the marp database hosted ?
I ask this because with the paypal button you can use a credit card and with the link you provided you have to use paypal.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Rat wrote:If I click on the PayPal button on the MARP news page does the donation go to the same place for keeping the forums and the marp database hosted ?
No, that doesn't go towards any hosting fees. Use that only if you wanna give Zwaxy some money for beer.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Buttermaker wrote:No, that doesn't go towards any hosting fees. Use that only if you wanna give Zwaxy some money for beer.
and the difference is?
-skito
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Rat wrote:If I click on the PayPal button on the MARP news page does the donation go to the same place for keeping the forums and the marp database hosted?
The donation link on these forums and http://marpirc.net go directly towards hosting for the forums and anything else *.marpirc.net related. The Paypal button on marp.retrogames.com goes to Zwaxy's Paypal account.
Rat wrote:I ask this because with the paypal button you can use a credit card and with the link you provided you have to use paypal.
Both links require you to use Paypal to donate, there's no difference that I can see, other than the marpirc.net one having an extra page describing exactly what the donation will be used for (it goes directly to Dreamhost, not my own Paypal account). Either will require a Paypal account, and some method of paying via that (credit card, bank account, whatever).
Chris Gushue
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

It should be noted (and probably mentioned in the news notice at the top of the forum) that $50 of the remaining cost donated was courtesy of destructor.

I think he will forgive me for quoting his PM:
destructor wrote:Hi,

If I win 50 USD in Front Line round please donate these 50 USD for marpirc.net.

viewtopic.php?t=11947

des
I mentioned this in the IRC channel at the time, but Chris probably didn't see it.
John Cunningham (JTC)