Moon patrol not working?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

QRS
Editor

Moon patrol not working?

Post by QRS »

Long time since I played moon patrol, so I decided to try it yesterday with the 090u3 build. It says there are a few roms missing. (I do have a complete romset fully checked with clrmamepro.) I decided to try earlier versions of mame. Same thing there... 078 is the earliest version I have tried. I also tried with all kinds of roms - from older sets - but still it doesn't work. Anyone else who has noticed this? Maybe it has been broken for a long time?
QRS
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

11 views and no answer?!!? Give me a hint god damn it!! ;)

Can someone try moon patrol in 078 (or later)?

Thanks!
QRS
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Tried with various versions and I'm always missing file 2a. The file names changed somewhere before mame53 it seems. My oldest after that is mame37 and it asks for various roms files that have slightly different names than the current ones plus the 2a file. I know I've played this before a while ago, so perhaps that file was included at some point in an older romset? Kinda like how mspac has an older set that you need for certain replays?

Edit: There were changes in 78 to 79 and from 37b6 to 37b7, probably other places too. Why the heck do they always rename/modify all this stuff, what a headache.
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Thanks for the replay Martin. For a while I thought I was the only one missing files here :)

Strange though... clrmamepro tells me nothing :(

Maybe Barry can drop Malzak and take a look at this? ;)
QRS
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Martin is correct.

The Romset changed in .79. I have not installed .90 yet.

I think the ROMs I'm using are .80, they work fine for this game from .79 to .89.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

My mpatrol Rom runs perfectly in Wolf90.
Frankie
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Mine works on Wolf .90 & .78, due rom name changes on mame .79.

The only thing that game is missing is the missing background graphic of moon base when you reached the end of level Z. This was been that way for a long time. No wonder the Mame dev hasn't fix the bug, yet.

Don't you hate it when the Mame Dev added rom name changes on the Sega re-write.

Later,

NotMan
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

ROM name changes don't matter. Only the name of the Romset needs to be correct because MAME loads ROMs by CRC.

In .79 Moon Patrol's 2a (CRC 0f193a50) was replaced by mpc-4.2a (CRC 07f99284).
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Ok, so I can play the game on recent versions. Why didn't I try those first. I could play this game a looong time on the appleII.
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
Stig
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Stig »

NotMan wrote:Mine works on Wolf .90 & .78, due rom name changes on mame .79.

The only thing that game is missing is the missing background graphic of moon base when you reached the end of level Z. This was been that way for a long time. No wonder the Mame dev hasn't fix the bug, yet.

Don't you hate it when the Mame Dev added rom name changes on the Sega re-write.

Later,

NotMan

Heheh, thank god for ClrMamePro, check out http://www.aarongiles.com if you hate romname changes. He changed all the sets in the sega driver almost.

Stig