A wish for a next release of MAME or Wolfmame

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

A wish for a next release of MAME or Wolfmame

Post by sawys »

Hi.

Could it be possible to add a new feature in the Windowed version of mame to put a file (example in .dat) which will be shown before the history.dat and the mameinfo.dat ?

And could it be possible to add this new feature in the dos version in the internal menu of the mame version (when you play, you push tab and can see all high scores).

The content of this new file will be the list of the high scores of the game. So marp could create a .dat where we could find all scores of all roms.

Actually, an example of this file can be found in http://www.arcadehits.net in the download section where the history.dat has been changed to show the best scores of the players of http://mamescore.free.fr (french people and actually one foreigner, Mike Myers).

I answer this cos actually, i can't show the real history.dat and the history.dat with only scores.

Thank you everyone.
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

oh...decent idea. I have added that note to my feature list. :P

I might implement it a tad differently though.

It would be nice if the format of that top3 page at MARP was a better format....where that info could be directly saved and used with MAME as you state above...and used for the web site.

I guess parsing code could be written for the current format. I'll have to see if there is any defined delimiter(like TAB) for that page.

If so...then trivial to add code to read in that file and display the scores within the GUI.

I am looking at it from a TG point of view too...not just MARP. :P
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

LN2 wrote:oh...decent idea. I have added that note to my feature list. :P

I might implement it a tad differently though.

It would be nice if the format of that top3 page at MARP was a better format....where that info could be directly saved and used with MAME as you state above...and used for the web site.

I guess parsing code could be written for the current format. I'll have to see if there is any defined delimiter(like TAB) for that page.

If so...then trivial to add code to read in that file and display the scores within the GUI.
Creator of this idea is docyoyo_49 from mamescore.

Please think of jvrm and mamescore scores too and all people that want to add his own score.

Thanks.
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
ah_web
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

great idea

Post by ah_web »

hi ;-)

i am the webmaster of arcadehits dot net...
I thank sawys for opening this thread here... :)
This sort of "records.dat", scratched from history.dat, may be a good tool to share all scores from marp, jvrm, mamescore and otherS communities hiscore MAMEgamers...

The actual MAMESCORE highscores are avalaible here, if you wanna have a look at it... http://www.arcadehits.net/scores.zip
Just unzip this file and place this alternate "history.dat" where it has to be... Don't laugh about the hiscores, we're gonna do better an better :wink:

DOCyoyo_49 had this idea and concept and, as I maintain mamescore's database, I create the file from mamescore's database... To have a nice "view" of it I recommend to use a font like "Courier" ou "System" to align the scores clearly...

So, if I can help for making it or host a dedicated scores database, no problem... Contact me by e-mail or via our board at http://forum.arcadehits.net ... I think this is a good project and may emulate ;-) gamers "courage" and "arcade friendship 'n fights"...

One more thing... :D
It is possible to insert the shared hiscores in the original history.dat...
This is a new project, maintainers of the real "history.dat" are not informed of that "thing", concertation should by nice :wink:

Sorry for my poor english, I'm a french guy...
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

becareful using hiscore.dat! mame sometimes causes playback inconsistancies when it exists, marp stresses not using hiscore.dat for making recordings because you might need the same hiscore.dat when playing that recording back. Thus you might make recordings that are worthless if you can't reproduce the state of the hiscore.dat you used to record it, in otherwords delete all hiscore.dat instances if you are going to make inp recordings for psikyo games!
-skito
ah_web
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by ah_web »

I did not know about this... Thanks...

but we use the history.dat... is there any reported bugs about it ?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I did at one point work on a simple MAME frontend that could list and download MARP scores and play the inp automatically. That was a while ago now, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work at all now...
But the basic interface to MARP is still there, and could still be used for some form of similar project.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Stig
Button Masher
Button Masher

already done

Post by Stig »

This is a great idea, and has been done before. Emu + or was the name Mame + (cant remember) had this feature. And it used the top 3 listing from marp.

http://www.arcadeathome.com/emuplus/

As far as i know, i was the one that asked for it to be added to emuplus back then, as i used to talk to the guy that made it back then.

Stig