What is the most you have sunk into an arcade game?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

What is the most (best estimate) you have sunk into an arcade game?

0-25$
14%
25-50$
7%
50-100$
79%

Total votes: 14

QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

LordGaz wrote:Daytona USA. Circa £1000 (~$1500 then) back in 1994/95, not proud of it though. Most places were £1 a pop but the attraction of beating the best times and showing off was too hard to resist! One machine was 50p, needless to say that's where I practiced most.
Thank god that you did not spend all that money on Mr.Do! :wink:
QRS
Skyline
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Skyline »

...who knows.

Close to 40 bucks on Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, back when it was new.
A good 50 or more on Samurai Showdown 2
Various other games...MKII...Tekken 2...good 30 or more
...can't give an estimate on Ms. Pac Man, too many years. >_<
Lord knows how much on DDR
IIDX...hahahaha
20 bucks on ESPGaluda already...and this was AFTER I got the home version.

Exactly 25 cents on The Irritating Maze. I wanted a refund. :/
Last edited by Skyline on Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
「シューティング ラブ。」
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Ughh! I don't even remember spending more than $5.00 - $20.00 on certain arcade games to master when it was brand new or less than 3 month old. I usually spend around $5.00 a week (20 plays) in '80's. I don't rarely play any arcade games after '93 when they raised the prices over 50 cents and more which it is ridicious to play less than 5 minute in one game like DDR, Golden Tee '97 to up, Sega Bass Fishing and etc.

AFAIK, the only games I could remember spending more than $5.00 is Street Fighter 2, Pacman/Ms Pacman, and Tetris.

Who want to play Golden Tee for 75 cents to $1.25 for 3 rounds instead of play the whole course for 75 cents to $2.00?

Later,

NotMan
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

NotMan wrote:Who want to play Golden Tee for 75 cents to $1.25 for 3 rounds instead of play the whole course for 75 cents to $2.00?
care to rephrase that...cuz the above makes no sense. :P
rounds->holes maybe? even then it still doesn't make sense.

It's been ages since a round of Golden Tee has cost less than several dollars. I think the current Golden Tee is something like $5 per 9 holes.
...but maybe it's even more nowadays.

so where are you getting $0.75-$2.00 from?!?!?
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Hi LN2!

LN2 wrote
care to rephrase that...cuz the above makes no sense. Razz
rounds->holes maybe? even then it still doesn't make sense.
Sorry! I meant by hole per round.

LN2 wrote
It's been ages since a round of Golden Tee has cost less than several dollars. I think the current Golden Tee is something like $5 per 9 holes.
...but maybe it's even more nowadays.
I saw Golden Tee '97, once. The price said 50 cents for 5 holes and $2.00 for full game. Golden Tee 2000 or something if I could remember correctly once said 75 cents for 3 holes to start and 25 cents per hole. I don't remember what the price was on the full game. Something like more than $5.00 - $8.00.

Later,

NotMan
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

NotMan wrote:I saw Golden Tee '97, once. The price said 50 cents for 5 holes and $2.00 for full game. Golden Tee 2000 or something if I could remember correctly once said 75 cents for 3 holes to start and 25 cents per hole. I don't remember what the price was on the full game. Something like more than $5.00 - $8.00.
Ok, $5-8 is quite different than in your above quote where you state $2 for a "full game". I read that as a full round...cuz for me a full "game" of golf is playing 18 holes...so maybe I misunderstood that also.

Play one of the older ones in MAME. Those go back before 1997.
You will see by default about as pricy as you describe....$5-8...not 5 holes for $0.50 or an entire round for $2.

There was a MTV special on gamers last summer that had a feature on a Golden Tee tournament. It looked like the players were putting in a $20 for 2 players to play an entire round(or maybe it was even $20 each! hard to tell from that show)....at least that is how it appeared. $5 for 9 holes or $10 for 18 sounds about right nowadays for that game. Maybe for that tournament the costs were set higher to cover other things.

I never got into the game cuz of the price. I know if I had spent $100s on the game I could have reached a level where I could play in those tournaments they have. The game isn't that difficult to reach a high level of play. The PC golf games are just as complex IMHO....maybe even a tad more complex...although PC golf games are easier to play IMHO.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

LN2 wrote:
Play one of the older ones in MAME. Those go back before 1997.
You will see by default about as pricy as you describe....$5-8...not 5 holes for $0.50 or an entire round for $2.
Just tried GTG, today. The prices are different than '97 and up. You get 8 strokes (Mame default) and you'll get a bonus strokes if you get par or better. On GTG '97 and up allowed you play 50 cents for 3 rounds, two players 2 rounds, 3 players 1 round, and 4 player (I wasn't sure about this one) 75 cents 1 round. There was no bonus stroke or round getting a par or better.

I highly doubtful if anybody could finish 18 rounds in one credit on GTG.

The way that I remember about playing GTG '97 back about three years ago. A friend of mine was die-hard golf fanatic and I wasn't that big golf fan, anyway. We get together a play couple full games (one course (18 holes)) and we spend something like $3.00- $5.00 each for a full game and bet over a pitcher of beer. Sort of like... Loser has to buy a beer. So anyway, it was kind of fun to play that back then.

Hopefully, I find any GTG around in my area to see if my memory serve me right! :wink:

Later,

NotMan
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

NotMan wrote:On GTG '97 and up allowed you play 50 cents for 3 rounds, two players 2 rounds, 3 players 1 round, and 4 player (I wasn't sure about this one) 75 cents 1 round. There was no bonus stroke or round getting a par or better.
Please stop calling holes rounds. A round of golf is 18 holes of golf.
I highly doubtful if anybody could finish 18 rounds in one credit on GTG.
Look at the better players of the game...even for them you need 5-6 credits to do an entire ROUND(18 holes) of golf...unless you get lucky with a hole-in-one or double eagle etc. Ok, so for 1997, you maybe can get around in $3. That price for a modern GTG is more like $8-10 nowadays even if you are the best GTG player. Most players just pay the money for an entire round(18 holes) from the start versus taking the risk of buying a partial round and then end up paying out more versus if they had bought the entire 18 holes from the start.
Hopefully, I find any GTG around in my area to see if my memory serve me right! :wink:
Anyone serious about GTG would be playing the current or near current versions...not a 1997 version which played drastically different where it will likely just screw up your game for the current version.

Most GTGs I have seen nowadays are in bars/sports clubs/multiplexes like Jillians that have at least a few of the GTG games where some even have league-play etc. on them.

Next time I see a group of them I'll check for the prices. It would surprise me if it's less than $10 for a round.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Hey LN2,

It's look like GTG '97 thru Y2k will be added in the next version of Mame. Hopefully that we'll find out the real prices per game on arcade verison.

I wonder that if Mr Giles ever read this msg board or not. :wink:

Later,

NotMan
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

interesting...
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

nice topic :)
i think that for whole arcade times i sunk about one polish car and a very good PC :)
and the most coin eaters for me were pinballs and gauntlet i think.....
young man was stupid....one more credit one more stage....damn its the same like.....
wonderful days :)
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)
By-Tor
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by By-Tor »

Biggest money-eaters for me:

Dragon's Lair
Space Ace

(kept feeding money to these until I completed them both. Thank god we didn't have Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp around. That's insanely difficult.)

Xevious
Pole Position I & II
Baby Pacman
Track & Field (1-rounder)
Hyper Sports
Star Wars (until I mastered it and was able to play as long as I wanted)
Gravitar (same thing, one game lasted over a hour when I mastered it)
Stargate

+various pinball machines, like Twilight Zone & Black Knight.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

By-Tor wrote: Thank god we didn't have Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp around. That's insanely difficult.)
I played the game with Daphne emulator. Sequenses are very long, but I thought it's not so hard. Moves make more sense than at DL1 many times...Was able to get quite deep into game with few tries, just following flashes not knowing them beforehand 8)
By-Tor
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by By-Tor »

The TJT wrote:
By-Tor wrote: Thank god we didn't have Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp around. That's insanely difficult.)
I played the game with Daphne emulator. Sequenses are very long, but I thought it's not so hard. Moves make more sense than at DL1 many times...Was able to get quite deep into game with few tries, just following flashes not knowing them beforehand 8)
I own the Digital Leisure's original DVD package. I'm not sure if the sequences are as long in the arcade version but guessing through the "Alice in Wonderland" part was enough for me. In Digital Leisure's version the sequences aren't just long, they're endless - at least they feel like it. I just don't have the patience for that. :)

PS: Do you think the obscure laser disc games are worth getting? Astron Belt, Cliffhanger, etc. I guess Mach 3 and Firefox aren't supported yet?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

When you mention it...I played DL2 using digital leisure too, don't think Daphne emulates it yet. Very long scenes, too long, dl1 is much more fun.

http://www.daphne-emu.com/screenshots.php

But Dragons Lair(1) I played using daphne because gameplay was too easy/not accurate using digital leisure program...at arcade hardest setting it's best imo, you must time the moves just right to succeed.
I converted digita leisure videos for daphne etc...Daphne is a pain to set up though.

Mach, Firefox: Saw Mach video(big) somewhere with other mame roms, maybe it'll be emulated soon. Or maybe it was for this:

http://www.boldtower.com/mach3/firefox.html

I'd be dying to play Firefox again!
:D

Astron Belt...I recall playing that couple of games at arcade, didn't like it, could be mixing it with some other game though.
Space Ace is of course fun, guess you have it already.
Thayers Quest etc...not played, maybe Al knows :P