It's about the high score of Metal Slug 3

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I use Hotrod for Scramble, Gauntlet(2) and yes...even on Phoenix joystick gives you much better control. On Phoenix Hotrod being 8-wayish doesn't even matter.

For Pacman etc 4-way games Hotrod is lousy, but for 8 way it's good.
Even the buttons are more accurate and make faster reaction times possible than when using keyboard.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

tk2007 wrote:U use the right hand to control the joy and the left hand to hold down the whole unit/chassis, right?...
I use left hand for move joystick, right hand for press buttons. My both hands lies on AS.
tk2007 wrote:( PS. Whats this?: "TG wins: Deca2004" )
I won tournament Decathlon in year 2004 on TwinGalaxies.

My old AS you can see there:
viewtopic.php?p=37282#37282
I have new now with new better (best) parts.
Last edited by destructor on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Metrackle
Mutant Puzzle Freak

Post by Metrackle »

tk2007 wrote:U use the right hand to control the joy and the left hand to hold down the whole unit/chassis, right?...
Personally, I use esdf for movement (take a wild guess at what the d is for) and various other keys to the right for the buttons themselves (usually j for attacking and k for jumping). I consider this method more convenient and comfortable, especially considering that my hands are already at home row. I've even managed to finish a fighting game with this position, and people usually complain about fighters being unplayable on a keyboard (the particular game I linked to is not exactly top tier in terms of... everything, mainly controls and fairness).

Besides, I don't have any controllers because almost every controller I owned stopped working properly after a few months (Gravis GamePad Pro lasted 2-3 years before a button no longer responded). Not only that, but many of the better controllers are a bit pricey.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Metrackle wrote: many of the better controllers are a bit pricey.
100-200$.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

got this for $29 during some crazy Play-Asia sale. They've long since sold out since then.

What a great score that was :)
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

When I got my Hotrod and then X-Arcade joystick, although both were heavy, they still moved a lot, so I stuck @30 of those double sided sticky velcro patches onto my desk/table and problem solved.
No more movement.

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

BBH wrote:Image

got this for $29 during some crazy Play-Asia sale. They've long since sold out since then.

What a great score that was :)
Yes, every can buy it and next modify with better parts (if it will be necessary).
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

tk2007 wrote:Zhorik, Ι m not sure for which pacman u r talking about, if u talk for the very first one, I cant find it on the boards!
Didnt play it because when came up I was too young. It has just one stage so I bet is easy even with keys, if u learn and play the same system. But u cant go high with keys in ms pacman.
Sorry, I should have specified which pacman. Neil's score of 379K with keyboard was on ms pac-man. Neil has since chosen to delete his replay from MARP for personal reasons, but the score was verified by a lot of players and is strictly legit. You can probably find the replay still floating around somewhere if you look hard. Keep in mind that on a real machine, Neil has scored 859K and reached the kill screen, so for him 379K is not that great a score.

Here's an old forum thread that discusses Neil's replay (among other things): http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=855
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

These joys r for left-handed people...
Are u right-handed and u use joy with left hand? 8O
(or u make your hands as X - crosswise ?)
EMULATE DECATHLETE NOW!!!
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

tk2007 wrote:These joys r for left-handed people...
Are u right-handed and u use joy with left hand? 8O
(or u make your hands as X - crosswise ?)
Layout of the joy is for righthanded.
I'm righthanded, I play shoot them ups left-joy right-fire.

Same with Robotron. left for movement. Karate champ, control is left joystick, kick/hit right. Arcade game designers knew their stuff.
Also scrolling fighters etc games using joystick with left, Kung Fu master, Shinobi.

For Mspac-fast I normally play using right hand though. Same with trigger stick games, such as Gorf, Mach3 and Tron obviously.

So it would seem that when you have to use both hands it's easier to control movement with left. Or fire with right.

I find it a little hard learning control for games where one button is jump and other is fire. Much easier to play those where jump is done by joystick. Another example would be Defender where thumb button near joy controls reverse, feels natural.
Scramble, for example, I find more easy to control bomb and fire buttons using right...not bombing when should be firing etc.
-----

Rafael Nadal is right handed, although he plays lefty. He learnt that way when young.
Carlos Moya I think is opposite.
Must be a Mallorcan thing, they're weird that way :)
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Wizard of Wor has the joystick on the right and it's damn annoying. Can't fire fast with the left and crossing arms is awkward.
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

The TJT wrote:
tk2007 wrote: ... Carlos Moya I think is opposite.
OT
Last week I was one day in Umago (Croatia) to see the ATP tournament ...
Carlos is 31 years old but still very strong, really a pro ...

Sorry for OT :lol:
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

If you are righthanded then you faster shoots using right hand. Left hand for move stick.
TK2007 did you never saw arcade machines? 90% of them have stick on left side. I thought that great player as you saw many arcade machines.
tk2007
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by tk2007 »

I won tournament Decathlon in year 2004 on TwinGalaxies
Which games had that decathlon? How do u prove your scores? U send a videotape? How can some1 participate?
U became first, but among how many players??

Your joyset looks good but has the joystick at the left and both joy & buttons r high.
Where did u find it?
Why dont u take a flat big screen?
Are u that boy in the photo?
Sorry, I should have specified which pacman. Neil's score of 379K with keyboard was on ms pac-man. Neil has since chosen to delete his replay from MARP for personal reasons, but the score was verified by a lot of players and is strictly legit. You can probably find the replay still floating around somewhere if you look hard. Keep in mind that on a real machine, Neil has scored 859K and reached the kill screen, so for him 379K is not that great a score.
379.000 r easy for me too. But I dont think he could get so with keys... Did u see that with your own eyes? Its not useful to find this playing somewhere, the point is to see him do it with the keys. Impossible 99.9%(I keep 0.1% because only God is entire :P ) and any1 who can get 300.000 or more will agree with me.
If he scored 859.000 this mean he got too-too many bananas. The final screen is about 137th stage and u need hours to reach there...
I saw that link, speaks about a TG world record score of 922.810 (its just a case of how many bananas u ll get) How could we watch/verify this playing? Is it in some videotape? Are these tapes free for the public or secrets of TG? :roll:
TK2007 did you never saw arcade machines? 90% of them have stick on left side...
No of course not, joy is at the right.
If you are righthanded then you faster shoots using right hand. Left hand for move stick.
Oh boys... I really cant belive what I read 8O 8O
really.. I m shocked 8O :?:
What is more important? To shoot or to control your hero in the game?
If some1 is right-handed how will control with left hand??
If u r righthanded, do u play pacman with left hand?
Well, because some of u cannot press rapidly with left hand this doesnt mean that we, the right handers, must use joy with left!
Personally I can press very fast with left hand(see metal slug 3). If the joy in a coin-op is at the left then I have to make my hands as X (crosswise). Because the main control is too-too more important than a fire which just have to press it continuously and nothing else.
EMULATE DECATHLETE NOW!!!
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

tk2007, I assume you didn't read my post and examples of games I posted.
If you did, I have to assume you are pretty stubborn with your views and refuse to believe what some more accomplished gamers tell you.

That is just how the things usually work for right handed persons, buttons are best handled by right hand, MOST of the arcade games DO have this layout. Of course it's faster to push fire using right. But more importantly the timing is more accurate with right hand. Also when there are several buttons it's even more clear that your right hand manages these tasks better.

I guess you missed my example of playing mspac and triggerstick games.
Or the example of Karate Champ and Robotron having movement on left and fire on right, these games have two joysticks only.

Then again you could be an exception, as Umag champion Carlos Moya.
Or you could be using wrong hands, which is also very likely.

And yes, I believe Neil did play mspac using keyboard. With a good 4 way stick he would be reaching the kill screen, scoring 800k+.
Last edited by The TJT on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.