Red UFO Slowdown

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

RTM
Button Masher
Button Masher

Red UFO Slowdown

Post by RTM »

Hello fellow gamers:

I just discovered a title called "Red Terra" (ROMset = "REDUFI") in which the game slows down during swarms at the most inopportune moments, typically when the swarm comes with the mother ship still on screen.

I have no other apps open, Norton is set to block traffic while playing, and I'm unsure if this is normal for this game or just to my computer setup.

Has anyone else tried this title and experienced this ? These slowdowns are most annoying, even moreso than in "Gorf" during the "Galaxian" stage when the images kind of flicker on the arcade classic.

On the plus side, this is a decent title. I killed the mother ship in stages 1 thru 6, but in stage 7 I died and when I re-appeared the ship disappeared so I lost out on some points. Oh well. Anyway, I was curious why the top three scores arr reach approx 30K...does the game reach a peak in terms of difficulty or is it just too hard at that point ?

Thansk.

Robert
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Red UFO Slowdown

Post by Weehawk »

RTM wrote:Hello fellow gamers:

I just discovered a title called "Red Terra" (ROMset = "REDUFI") in which the game slows down during swarms at the most inopportune moments, typically when the swarm comes with the mother ship still on screen.

I have no other apps open, Norton is set to block traffic while playing, and I'm unsure if this is normal for this game or just to my computer setup.

Has anyone else tried this title and experienced this ? These slowdowns are most annoying, even moreso than in "Gorf" during the "Galaxian" stage when the images kind of flicker on the arcade classic.

On the plus side, this is a decent title. I killed the mother ship in stages 1 thru 6, but in stage 7 I died and when I re-appeared the ship disappeared so I lost out on some points. Oh well. Anyway, I was curious why the top three scores arr reach approx 30K...does the game reach a peak in terms of difficulty or is it just too hard at that point ?

Thansk.

Robert
Looks like MAME is correctly emulating a weakness in the original game's hardware.

Use F11 to see if WolfMAME is keeping up proper speed. If it reads 100%, your system is not the problem. That's the way the original machine would have played as well.
John Cunningham (JTC)