Screw you M$

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Screw you M$

Post by LN2 »

man I truly hate windows.

I just was playing crush roller at TGTS....was at 430k and still on my FIRST MAN! Crash's score was going DOWN!J!#$!@$! :D

...when the system decides to take over my PC from me to check for M$ updates etc. I tried to keep playing for a little bit hoping it would go away in 10 seconds....but sound was stuttering..speed around 70% for 10+ seconds so I felt I had to kill it.

what a load of crap. MacOS never did that. it would wait for an idle amount of time before doing those checks. if user is busy using the system...it would try again a couple hours later...until it was mostly idle.

I was on a total roll too...in the zone....man I'm pissed!

of course, in the time to write this, the update checks are done...of course NOTHING to update...I hate you M$.

likely is somewhere in some ini or other cfg type file you can edit how often and when it checks for these updates.

anyone have control over these updates...explain it.
there are a few I have seen online...but still some level of check seems no one can control.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Control Panel -> Automatic Updates - Set to Automatic, and to install at a specific time. Or you could set it to download them for you, and let you choose when to install them. Downloading alone won't slow your system down.

I've had no issues with Windows checking for updates being slow, although checks are usually immediately after logging in, but don't get me started on Zone Alarm... whoever decided that when checking for updates, that it should minimise any fullscreen graphical application (ie: MAME, or practically any game out there). What's worse is that it does this some 20 or 30 minutes after logging in. Sometimes, it feels like a waste of a 40MB download.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

microsuck strikes again. Yeah, to just set the update priority to low would have been so TRIVIAL for them to do. I guess their design system must have read the warning message poped up each time you try to change the a procesies priority, dumb. Even though linux has a lot of hiden updates they are all set to a priority where your normal programs are disrupted to the lowest extent. One of the million things i do when installing a windows computer to make it usable is to turn off updates, looks like that one will be added to your list that is if you ever install another windows computer :) I'm personally trying my best never to buy another computer with windows on it. maybe xp will be supported for a few years, like support is really a benefit...

another thing you can do is to set the priority of mame to be high, i.e. change your mame batch script to do this for recording

start "MameWindowTitle" /ABOVENORMAL mame.exe crush -record crush

this should supercede the update process again if you can figure out how to turn it off.
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

mahlemiut wrote: Zone Alarm
I gave up on Zone Alarm, after latest versions began eating loads of resources.
Comodo Firewall Pro has worked fine for me, give it a go...

Avast does those annoying update slowdowns mid game still, unless I'll remember to disable connections before playing.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Yeah, but Avast only really slows stuff down when there is an actual update to download and install.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

mahlemiut wrote:I've had no issues with Windows checking for updates being slow, although checks are usually immediately after logging in, but don't get me started on Zone Alarm
problem I have is I am using a laptop and have an external 300gig USB HD...so when M$ decides to scan my software to see if I need to update anything...it's also scanning that drive...which really slows everything down.

yes, I can set automatic updates like mentioned above...but that is only one level of it. There is another level that M$ has that demands it checks regardless of what you are doing.

I have it set to check at 8 am...cuz I have a night-shift job so am almost always asleep at 8 am....yet M$ decided it was time to do this check at 2 am last night.

likely where one of the other updates...resets the others to default or something...which is another M$ pain in the neck.....leave me settings alone when you do updates M$.
pat33999
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by pat33999 »

...when the system decides to take over my PC from me to check for M$ updates etc.
don't get me started on Zone Alarm... whoever decided that when checking for updates, that it should minimise any fullscreen graphical application
Avast does those annoying update slowdowns mid game still, unless I'll remember to disable connections before playing.
I don't see how (or why) you guys put up with this kind of thing.

All this weirdness is exactly why I disable all automatic scans/updates, the Windows OS functions included.

NOTHING accesses the internet or uses CPU resources unless I tell it to, even if it means giving up the convenience of automatic updates. I just manually update everything once a week.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

pat, that doesn't stop all of the checks. I had mine set for 8 am...yet it was doing the above particular one at 2 am. why?!!??! my settings state 8 am!

However, I got some info from TG forums on this...
Hit the Start button, then select Run,
then type in net stop wuauserv

That command stops Windows Update from nagging you until the next time you restart the computer. Hope that helps
I have added this to my record.bat file.
pat33999
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by pat33999 »

pat, that doesn't stop all of the checks.
Actually, its possible to disable anything Windows does that you don't like.

Have you disabled the Automatic Update service?
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

100% guaranteed to stop all OS update checks in XP.

(I'm assuming that you use Windows XP, functionality in Vista might be different.)
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Screw you M$

Post by tar »

well, anyhow
i saw a one time ln2 posted that the updates begin ,automaticly at 2AM.
yes , this happens here too.
you can enter microsoft default settings in control panel and frix it.
tell me this ,
how the hell do you eliminate virus scan advertisments that frequently
display themselves hidden from `the checks i already have in place?
wanna know how we all tallk round these here parts?
http://www.youtube.com/v/eTeiK28ilRk&hl
pat33999
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by pat33999 »

Virus scan advertisements? Sounds like spyware, or maybe even a virus itself.

Post a screenshot of this "advertisement".
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

hi pat33999
actually i think hank hill is from texas
the manner in which we speak here is Appilatia
sorta got a hillbilly twang to it like , more like tennessee .
plus i dronk a 40oz. & 24oz beer last night - i act out stupid
i did go 80 days in the A.A. program , going to a dual diagnosis group in an hour Bi-polar and alcoholism
in the hick town of Cambridge ,Ohia- pop 20,000/ 30 miles down the pike .been unemployed fer 15 years
anyhow
dunno how to print screen and retreive it
but seems to pop up when going to Google
it says
Warning: possible spyware or adware infection! Click here to scan your computer for spyware and adware...
also a grey box that asks if you would like to install the software
with options of yes or cancel i tried clicking the x box in top right hand corner
it goes to an advertisement screen and changes your homepage
got rid of most of these , think there were a few solicitations
i use AVG 7.5
pat33999
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by pat33999 »

Yeah, that sounds like spyware.

Ad-Aware 2007: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
SpywareBlaster: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html
SpyBot-Search & Destroy: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

Download and install these 3 programs, then update them and run scans. Most likely, at least one of these programs will fix the problem.

To capture whats on your screen, just press the print screen key on your keyboard, then paste it into whichever program you use to open images.