Attn: Udirnel re: Crazy Climber

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Attn: Udirnel re: Crazy Climber

Post by Weehawk »

=D>

In light of Udirnel's recent achievements on Crazy Climber, posting the high scores on the US and Japanese versions at MARP using WolfMAME .126, one of which exceeds the TG record from 1982, I was wondering if he could share a little of his experience in conquering this classic title.

How did you get so interested in this game?

Any strategy tips or other information you have discovered about the game that you would like to share?

I have seen two non-WolfMAME recordings on a Japanese site with higher scores. I linked to them in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11951&p=32932

They play with regular MAME .58.

*** EDIT (8/11/14) ***

The links in the referenced post no long work. The .inp files are available at:

http://www.slither-gdi.net/cclimbrj_nomiss.zip

http://www.slither-gdi.net/cclimbrj_727150.zip

For the MAME-challenged, a two-part video of the 727k game is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is3a57lkYpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fIHeMv1NY
Last edited by Weehawk on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Attn: Udirnel re: Crazy Climber

Post by destructor »

=D>
Yes, well done.

As usually -> what controller you use Udirnel? :D
Udirnel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Udirnel »

Weehawk wrote: In light of Udirnel's recent achievements on Crazy Climber, posting the high scores on the US and Japanese versions at MARP using WolfMAME .126, one of which exceeds the TG record from 1982, I was wondering if he could share a little of his experience in conquering this classic title.

How did you get so interested in this game?

Any strategy tips or other information you have discovered about the game that you would like to share?

I have seen two non-WolfMAME recordings on a Japanese site with higher scores. I linked to them in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11951&p=32932

They play with regular MAME .58.
First of all, thank you for this post. I just play for fun (as many of you do, I suppose) and I keep on playing Crazy Climber 'cause I really love this game. It's one of my all time favs along with ghosts'n'goblins and rygar and black tiger and... (darn! I have a big bunch of favs! :^o )

I first played Crazy Climber here in Spain in the early 80's . As far as I know, the only version that arrived to my country was the japanese version (cclimbrj) but unfortunately no one knew then the "JORDAN.LTD" issue #-o . I found it fascinating. A good part of that first fascination still endures, so I'm really pleased to play Crazy Climber any time real life allows me. If I had a playmeter with the number of games I have ever played to every different game, Crazy Climber would be top 1st by far.

¿My playing strategies? I think they're clear enough in the recordings sent to MARP. Nothing special. The main thing you need to achive a nice score is a bit of luck. I mean, two girders/beams properly aligned in a two windows wide place or a impossible escape Crazy Climber sign on the upper part of 4th building is enough for beating any skill you may demonstrate in this game, so luck counts for a big score. Of course skill helps a lot, and also a fast speed in climbing. I have played several high scoring games, but I have also played many disappointing others.

Des, i use keyboard for playing. I'd really like to have the spanish-made cabinet, manufactured by Segasa/Sonic, and I'm really looking for it, but it won't be an easy hunt (is more than 25 years old). If I ever happen to have one, I'll play on it and record the games with a camera. Here you have a partial picture of the cabinet.

Weehawk, thanks for the link of the inps. I have watched them and that guy climbs incredibly fast! He is a real top player. Beside that, you have provided me a new target :) . Climbing that fast helps a lot, I do really have to practise more, but you can be sure I climb as fast as the keys allow me.

Sorry for not answering before, I wouldn't have notice this post if Destructor didn't warn me. Thanks Des!

Udirnel

btw, could the score be uploaded to TG?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

TG use wolfmame106 version only then sorry no bonus :wink:
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

I'm amazed to know that you use keys Udirnel :!: =D>

I believe you could absolutely do far better with a dual-joystick setup (I use the Tankstick and find it very close to the actual arcade experience - though I lack the skill you have).

Also watched KUB's 727k .inp, indeed a VERY fast climber... even though from time to time he loses sync. And his last death is a silly one compared to what he managed to survive.

He also seems to have a couple of points when going up where he pauses waiting for some condition before getting back to climbing up fast - though I don't have the game expertise to understand why. Perhaps Udirnel could :D
Udirnel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Udirnel »

Alessandro.S wrote:I believe you could absolutely do far better with a dual-joystick setup.
Probably you are right, but I feel comfortable with the keyboard.
Alessandro.S wrote:Also watched KUB's 727k .inp, indeed a VERY fast climber... even though from time to time he loses sync. And his last death is a silly one compared to what he managed to survive.
Yep, and his first death is also a lack of concentration. I can't avoid thinking he could have achieved an even higher score paying a little more atention to those moments. Anyway he's absolutely bright and skillful in some situations and in other moments luck makes the 'dirty job' :wink:
Alessandro.S wrote:He also seems to have a couple of points when going up where he pauses waiting for some condition before getting back to climbing up fast - though I don't have the game expertise to understand why. Perhaps Udirnel could :D
Please, tell me which points are you talking of.

Udirnel
Last edited by Udirnel on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

Watching it again it looks like at least in a few points the pauses are due to getting either a good position or a clear path before the rain of objects starts again... but in others it is already raining cats and dogs.

I took note however of the following points:

1) 152800
2) 266850
3) 317550
4) 373000
5) 492750
6) 541950
7) 710500

1 and 4 are after the electric Nichibutsu banner. Thanks for any insight !
Udirnel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Udirnel »

1) and 4) are meant to separate the 4 beams/girders in 2 and 2, or 3 and 1 at least. Hopefully it'll give you better chances of escaping. 1) was finally a bad try, but 4) was definitely a success. Like many strategies, sometimes works, sometimes don't.

2), 5) and 7) are the same than 1) and 4), but now he's separating 2 beams/girders in 1 and 1.

3) and 6) seems that he prefers to climb taking right path, but closing windows block that way. He waited for them until opened, and while in 6) his 'patience' is rewarded, in 3) left path became clear so he changed his mind.

Udirnel
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

Thanks ! I thought I also understood the tendency to climb on the right... but one thing is making guesses, another is to hear from the voice of the experts. I might play a bit with the game in the near future :mrgreen: