SFIII 3rd Strike, black screen, nvram problem

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

SFIII 3rd Strike, black screen, nvram problem

Post by 1up »

Im getting really annoyed by this little problem.

I started out using the NOCD version of Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (sfiii3n) and everything was peachy. But when Im done playing and I turn of the machine, the next time I start it
the game loads up but its like only the front layer of graphics is visible (insert coin text). Music and sound fx also play fine but the rest is just black? Deleting the nvram file
fixes this but Ive built a simple MAME setup, with only an arcade stick attatched, so its really annoying fetching a keyboard from the other room, opening the cabinet and such
every time I want to play 3rd strike.

I tried downloading the CHD for the parent rom (sfiii3) and went through the process of it 'installing' the game, but its the same thing. On reboot the screen for that game is black?
And deleting the nvram for the parent rom sucks as it has to do the install again (approx 20mins)...

Does anyone have a solution to this? Im using Maximus Arcade as a frontend if that helps?
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: SFIII 3rd Strike, black screen, nvram problem

Post by mahlemiut »

Which MAME version are you using, exactly?
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

MAME v.141 (commandline)

compiled it with highscore support and removal of nagscreens

edit:
I run the game in forced aspect 4:3 with -effect Scanlines75x4_j4.png
resolution 800x600
1up
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by 1up »

Think I found a solution, but haven't checked it out yet.

It seems that the high score support messed things up with 3rd strike's nvram file, so I can do one of the following things:
1. compile a new mame.exe without high score support
2. create a .bat file that deletes the sfiii3n (have to use the nocd version) on either Maximus startup or exit

only found a few people on google with the same problem and no solution, ofcourse #-o

EDIT:
made the nvram_deleter.bat and had Maximus Arcade run the file on startup. Problem went away 8)
Annoying that I HAVE to use the asian nocd version though, as the text in story mode is gibberish :?