inpview

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

inpview

Post by kernzy »

hi chaps,
what is "inpview"?
do i need it?
if so, what do i do with it?
cheers!
:D
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: inpview

Post by mahlemiut »

inpview adds functions in MAME to display the state of a player's controls in real-time.

It adds the following switches:
-inpview <player>
Show inputs for player (number between 1 and 8, 0=disable).

-inplayout <layout> (0.107 and later only)
Determine how inputs will be displayed on-screen. Valid values are default, dualstick, mahjong, neogeo and 6button.

dualstick and mahjong layouts are useful for dual joystick and mahjong games respectively, whereas neogeo and 6button are just re-arrangements of the default layout.

There is no requirement for it, but I do include it in all the binaries I build.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

cheers Barry!
So, i don't need it then. cool, mate!!
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

If you have wolfmame then you already have the option to use the -inpview 1 option (on the beloved command line) if you do this you will see some pretty cool graphics while you playback, you can see what buttons people are pressing while they play, very informative, especially when learning which buttons to press (and in which order) on street fighter games!
-skito
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
so i can use it to some advantage.
i will give it a try!!
theres so much more to mame than the lay person knows.
thanks, chaps. very informative!!
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

ok, so it does not work!
lol!
in my configuration folder under CORE MISC OPTIONS it has no value next to inpview. should i put something there?

i typed in for example "playback bombjack -inpview bombjack"
is this correct?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

kernzy wrote:i typed in for example "playback bombjack -inpview bombjack"
is this correct?
No. :)

-inpview <player>
where <player> is the number of the player whose inputs you want to watch (1 through 8).
Default is 0, which disables the feature.
So for most cases, -inpview 1 (or -iv 1) will do.
- Barry Rodewald
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

cheers Barry.
confusing. will the number always be "1"?
i'm getting ahead of myself already. i still have trouble playing back zipped inp's. i can watch my own recordings, but after i zip them up, i can't watch them anymore.
#-o :D
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

It'll mostly be 1, just depends on which player's input you want to watch. (Like with Raiden, where it's common that some players will use player 2, so you'd use -iv 2).

I'm not sure if zipped INPs are supported or not. I remember it being possible with MAME Plus (which 0.106 and earlier are based on) but the INP filename (minus extension) needed to match the ZIP filename or something like that. I'll check up on standard MAME later (maybe Kale or Haze remembers...?).
- Barry Rodewald
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

it's confusing.
if zipped inp's are not supported, how does marp operate?
even if i do not add anything to the name of my inp, once zipped, i cannot unzip or extract it and playback the inp successfully. :(
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

INPs are expected to be zipped since INPs would be a huge upload/download otherwise, although this is not so much an issue with current versions of MAME (0.125 and later) which internally compress INP data on the fly.

And what do you mean you are not able to extract INPs from the zip? Windows is perfectly capable of handling zip files.
- Barry Rodewald
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

kernzy, I believe you did not understand the 2nd paragraph when Barry only wished to tell you that "-iv 1" is for watching player 1's button/joy presses, and "-iv 2" is for watching player 2's button/joy presses. He also added

"I'm not sure if zipped INPs are supported or not."

This is just saying that mame isn't normally able to see inps after they are put into zips. You pretty much always have to take inps outside of zips to play them back as inp files. Barry was assuming (as I also was assuming with your statement)

"once zipped, i cannot unzip or extract it and playback the inp successfully"

that you were unable to use windows to take the inp out of the zip again.
-skito
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

ha haaa!
ok, it's late, and i've had a few. it's saturday night, alright????????? 8)
alright, here's my story...
i have been using command line alot over the past few weeks. i have experimented. i have practiced. i have successfully recorded, uploaded and had verified some inp's on the 147 platform. and if i'm right, i was the first to upload using 148. (it hasn't been verified yet, so, ...ho-hum !! :-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-" )
i have used -rotate and -flipx and -flipy to play games, and even used -aviwrite to save footage and successfully uploaded to youtube using wolf147, so i know what i'm doing (almost!)
i think the only hurdle i have is watching inp's.
i know to do what i have and still not be able to watch them is almost insane, as i have succeeeded before, on multiple wolfmames, but since 2 weeks ago, i cannot. ( i did restore my computer, then, as it would not start up, but only to a very recent date.)
i am using my old computer, and only ever used wolf106 on it before. i used to download an inp, and watch it without having to extract anything. using the "open" option was enough. nowadays, i have to "extract" it, and go through an extraction wizard i have never seen or used before.
now my inp files are saved as "<gamename>.inp" rather than "<gamename>"
i remember Beejay mentioning "windows murdering the files" or something?
here's what i currently do...
i play and record a game in wolf 147 or 148. i immediately watch the inp to verify it works. no problem.
then, i send to compressed folder and rename it accordingly.
now, if i delete the original inp (so there's no confusion), and try to watch my own zipped inp, i cannot. i can watch the original inp, but not after i zipped it. which also means i cannot and have not watched a single inp using command line since i started using it, which is frustrating.

i have both Beejays and other instructions bookmarked, but it does not work.
before it was "MAME", nowadays it's "mame.exe". it can drive an fool crazy. too many implications, it's worse than time travel. :lol: :lol:
thank god i don't stress over this too much... :D :lol: :lol:
i only realised recently i could use the mouse as a wheel, so have been trying my hand at racing games, looking for that gran turismo type. so far have failed!! #-o #-o
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Maybe it's just that you think that files in a zip folder are actual files? But, they are not! Once you drop a file into a zip folder (and delete the original) it's gone for a lack of a better word. If you want to see it again and have mame see it, you need to take that inp file OUT of the zip folder and back into the inp folder (OR some other NON compressed folder). Only then can it be played back again.
-skito
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

hi Skito,
cheers for that info.
i know i have to extract the inp from the zipped folder to the inp folder. it just does not play back.
i followed your instructions from a while back. no joy. i followed Beejays instructions which i successfully utilised back then, still it does not work.
maybe i have messed something up....