Spectar: Player two screen is always inverted

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

flop
Button Masher
Button Masher

Spectar: Player two screen is always inverted

Post by flop »

Hi all,

Having some problems with Spectar in two player mode on Mame v129. When the first player looses a ship, the screen for player two is always rotated 180 degrees.

There is an option in the video options to rotate the screen, if I set that to 180 degrees player one is inverted but player two appears correct.

This issue does not happen on mame v53 for some reason. Any ideas?

Cheers
Flop
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Spectar: Player two screen is always inverted

Post by mahlemiut »

Sounds like a normal cocktail setting to me. I guess that was fixed somewhere between 0.53 and 0.129.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
flop
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by flop »

Hi Barry,

I don't really understand what you said.

If i take an example of say Pac-man, why does the screen not rotate after player change? In fact most old games that I play circa 80-84 don't rotate after player change.

Once other thing i did notice, in the video options setting, there is an option for cocktail., this gives two screens simultaneously.

Am going to check with the latest mame version and some versions between 53 and 129 to see where the change occurred.

Flop
flop
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by flop »

Just one other data point. I check Mame 0.64 and it seems the Player two flip is present there. So the chnage happened some where between 0.53 and 0.64. It seems the spectar rom set got slipt from a monlithic zip (20k) to a rev1 and rev3 zip files both 10k versions.

Flop
flop
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by flop »

Looks like the flip happened in V0.60, In 0.59 the player 2 screen did not invert. Can't find anything in the whatsnew.txt that references a change to the M6502 driver.

Regards
Flop
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

You have the choice of merging all clones of a game into the parent's zipfile, or having each clone in separate zips, MAME will accept either, and has done pretty much always.

Doesn't look like there's any option to disable it, so you're stuck with it. Perhaps one of the various bootlegs is designed for a proper upright cabinet instead of a cocktail cabinet (or has a setting for such)?
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer