MAME size on HD

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

MAME size on HD

Post by kernzy »

hey chaps!
i have been looking up more stuff for mame, i.e., artwork, cabinets, flyers, etc.
i have a MAME folder where everything is kept, and i have not even got anywhere near the files i need to complete everything yet. (i only have a handful of each)
i must admit, i have loads of different mames in there!
so far, my mame folder is 5.55 gigabytes. this is MASSIVE!
how do others cope with utilising all these options without filling up your hard drives?
cheers everyone!!
kernzy.
8)
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: MAME size on HD

Post by mahlemiut »

Mine's 9.6GB just for the ROMs (although it's fairly messy, there's probably some stuff in there that's not part of a perfect set, not that I'm even close to a perfect set at all...).

You clearly haven't tried any laserdisc games, yet. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

ha!
laserdisc? nope!
i didn't know they were supported, otherwise, i'd be trying my hand at dragon's lair!!
Agodzilla
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Agodzilla »

Hmmm..nope,actually the very latest MAME release with a fullset of everything inside(artworks,cabs,etc.) will weigh a dreaded 320GB: that will be named as "MASSIVE" :lol:
how do others cope with utilising all these options without filling up your hard drives?
Simply..using hard drives dedicated ONLY to this stuff,better if external ones that U can switch on and off if needed :wink:
ballas
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by ballas »

Agodzilla wrote:
Hmmm..nope,actually the very latest MAME release with a fullset of everything inside(artworks,cabs,etc.) will weigh a dreaded 320GB: that will be named as "MASSIVE" :lol:
Simply..using hard drives dedicated ONLY to this stuff,better if external ones that U can switch on and off if needed :wink:
Mine is 28.8GB. Wouldn't mind having that full set of 320GB. Oh where oh where.... =P~
KVD
Koos van Dyk
Johannesburg
SOUTH AFRICA
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I'm mostly limited by crappy bandwidth quotas, HD space and general lack of interest in being "complete". I get what interests me, if possible, and leave it at that. But I do have a pretty awesome source, though. ;)
- Barry Rodewald
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

Care to share? :P

Mines ~38gb with just ROMs
Andrew Barrow
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Barra wrote:Care to share? :P
If only I could... :)
- Barry Rodewald
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I wonder if there will be a statue of limitations, I guess it depends on which country and such. 30? 40? 100? years there's gotta be a time point where propriety won't care? I would like to share too, how are any of these games going to be played after a millenium if people don't share them, but I won't until it's legal. We have other saviour's of memories to share from, you just have to find them. google is pretty good at sharing.
-skito
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

so are emails!!
:D =P~
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Agodzilla wrote: Hmmm..nope,actually the very latest MAME release with a fullset of everything inside(artworks,cabs,etc.) will weigh a dreaded 320GB: that will be named as "MASSIVE" :lol:
Jesus
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

where do you find a complete set, TOMMI?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QiLLAL9YTk

I'd myself try googling "mame full set torrent" or something like that...
Agodzilla
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Agodzilla »

eheheh..as Tommi said San Google of Mountain View can be your best friend kernzy!
Or else if you wanna give it a try there are some torrent places coming straight from *your* UK that can be useful if you are looking for emulation stuff.
I.E. with this sites i'll be able to complete the "Project Hyperspin" after looong time spent in researching across the web,well..now i need more extra hard drive space than before 8O !!
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

cheers guys,
i obviously use google to find stuff, but even with that, you get 200,000,000 results!! #-o
back to what skito was saying...
i remember when i first used mame, and on screen it said "anyone playing this game outside Japan is breaking the law". :!:
i can't believe what we love doing would be frowned upon. and if it is, how comes there are numerous websites giving roms away? why have they not been closed down and prosecuted? some of them even charge... [-X