MAME 0.149 blank screen ?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

MAME 0.149 blank screen ?

Post by Chad »

On one of my laptops, both mame and mess start up with a blank screen, mame/mess are running because you can hear sounds, but no graphics are displayed. If I revert to wolf/mame 0.148 there are no issues. I thought this might be hlsl (I had not installed this directory on either the 0.149 working or 0.149 non working computers) so I installed this folder (and the keymaps folder I had not installed previously), but I still get a black screen for mame when any game/system is used to start from a 0.149 core.

Anyone know of or have this issue? One computer I have has no problem with this, it can play 0.148 and 0.149 identically, but an intel laptop I have does not show graphics when the 0.149 window opens up, sounds it does play but no pixels (not even the welcome/warning screens/menus are displayed nor the F11 frame header).
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: MAME 0.149 blank screen ?

Post by mahlemiut »

Did you try disabling HLSL in mame.ini, or on the commandline? It does require a video card with PS3.0 (GeForce 8600 or better, don't know the ATI equivalent). There have been no changes to standard DirectX use prior to 0.149, from memory. And yes, if you have HLSL enabled, you will need the HLSL folder (since it contains the shader code and some other stuff).
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

mahlemiut wrote:Did you try disabling HLSL in mame.ini, or on the commandline?
Probably a lower range video card but, How do you do that if there is only one "enabling" option?

-hlsl_enable

If the default is disabled, that's obviously already done. maybe -nohlsl_enable , will try when i can use that laptop again.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

All boolean type options are disabled with -no<option>. I think it is disabled by default, but it can always be easy to miss things especially if you have numerous ini files.
- Barry Rodewald
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

-nohlsl_enable offers no resolution, still blank screen, -window mode opens up a window size as it was working but all pixels are black. Video hardware desc:

Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset

This video card does show pixels for any mame OR mess version before 0.149.

There has been talk of a blank screen problem starting 0.148u5 that is fixed with diabling YIQ but with -noyiq_enable and -nohlsl_enable I still have a blank screen.
-skito
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Resolved:

Either

-video gdi
or
-video ddraw

can fix a 0.149 blank screen issue (and aparently preventing any hlsl mangling)
-skito
Despatche
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Despatche »

I seemed to have had a similar problem. Trying to load the basic UI in 0.149 gave me a totally corrupted UI instead, 0.148 does not have this issue, and switching to another video mode does fix 0.149 the same (as hlsl and yiq were already disabled). I'm actually using something similar to Chad's; 845G (desktop).

Kinda wonder why all this fancy stuff needs to be added in all the time. I can't imagine it making anything more "accurate". MAME just seems like a mess (pardon the pun) these days, in all areas. I certainly need to research more to make a compelling argument, but I miss the days where MAME32 v0.106 and friends load up in like 2 seconds, no matter what you're using.

to be honest i wish i would get off my ass and learn to program so i could make some kind of "wolfmame newplus" or something. i certainly understand the reasons for it, but command line just isn't right.

Actually, that gets me thinking; are there any great "plugin" GUIs that aren't M+GUI, that I could use with newer Wolf/MAME? M+GUI's worse than the current MAMEUI GUI, honestly.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

There is QMC2 (http://qmc2.arcadehits.net/wordpress/) Unofficially recommended by MAMEdev. :)

And commandline is easier to use when developing, anyway...
- Barry Rodewald