Elevator Action difficult

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Elevator Action difficult

Post by INNUENDO »

Elevator Action is set to be played in easiest difficult. May I play in normal difficult or this is forbidden? I´ve read this rule:

j) Recording submissions must be recorded with that particular ROMset's defaults or TG (Twin Galaxies) settings. A recording set at easier or different settings is subject to deletion, especially if it is higher than others at more difficult settings. Recording on TG settings, which are the official arcade game settings, is preferred, and will gain your scores further notice from your fellow players.

I don´t have interest to have a TG score. So, this is my question. When you play a game set in easy-easiest difficult, the player have permission to play in a difficult more harder??
Long life to good games
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Elevator Action difficult

Post by BeeJay »

I think some people have complained in the past that using a harder difficulty setting on some games could give you more point scoring opportunities per level, and therefore they didn't want to see people beating scores done on easy with a score that could only be achieved with more enemies etc.

Black Tiger / Black Dragon is an example where there are already historical scores where people used the max difficulty settings to get higher scores than are possible on default settings.

Personally I want to see the best possible scores, so I'd be in favour of allowing max difficulty if you want to go that route. It will pretty soon become apparent that you need to use those settings to beat the 1st place scores, and everyone is free to do the same, but we'll see what others think and maybe we need to consider a vote on the matter. Of course, given that the precedent has already been set by 'allowing' this already, maybe a vote isn't necessary?!?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

In general, playing at harder settings than default is okay. Anything that is at harder than default is unlikely to be deleted. There might be some exceptions, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

First of all, thank you for your answers, Bee Jay and Barry. I just want to do a honest gameplay. In my opinion, this need to be voted, as BJ told above.

Chad, what do you think about this? You play this game too and know better than me how to do points. In normal difficult, appears a lot of red doors and more enemies to play. And also, the difficult is harder in the first loop.

I just want to do a fair play. :)
Long life to good games
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

Anysome, I am glad you are still alive.
what happened?
Last edited by Novice on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Novice wrote:snysome, I am glad you are still alive.
what happened?
Thank you, my friend!! :D

I´ve just canceled my account in FB for some months. I was addicted in that site. I´ll return in November. ;)
Long life to good games
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

There are games where you can get more score when it's more difficult. Elevator Action is not one of them. As far as I can tell the harder you set it the more difficult the spys get in earlier rounds, which doesn't fair well for getting a higher score than with easiest. I haven't played much at higher difficulty settings though, so I can't say for sure.
-skito
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Chad wrote:There are games where you can get more score when it's more difficult. Elevator Action is not one of them. As far as I can tell the harder you set it the more difficult the spys get in earlier rounds, which doesn't fair well for getting a higher score than with easiest. I haven't played much at higher difficulty settings though, so I can't say for sure.
Thank you for answer me, Chad. I´ll keep playing on easiest level. :)
Long life to good games
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Not about EA, but about general MARP rules, my "vote" would be:
"don't allow higher than default difficulty".
I prefer everyone using the same settings (default) mainly for comparison purposes.

By the way, congrats for you high skills in EA, Innuendo!
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:Not about EA, but about general MARP rules, my "vote" would be:
"don't allow higher than default difficulty".
I prefer everyone using the same settings (default) mainly for comparison purposes.

By the way, congrats for you high skills in EA, Innuendo!
Thanks, TRB!! I´ll try to do a better score, but I´m almost in the limit.
Long life to good games