IGBY2 game discussion: gekisou + starforc + starfigh (GEx)

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

IGBY2 game discussion: gekisou + starforc + starfigh (GEx)

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Team, please discuss here about these games:

Gekisou [gekisou (broken before 0.124)]
Star Force [starforc]
Star Fighter [starfigh (broken before 0.148)]

----------

Some links:
IGBY2 page: http://retrocontests.herokuapp.com/#/event/igby2/main
MARP topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15798
Game List (Word) - Settings, DipSwitches, etc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QtS ... pXZVg/edit
Game List (Excel) - Controls, etc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Streaming List (all teams): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vIJJN3 ... 0/viewform
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: IGBY2 game discussion: gekisou + starforc + starfigh (GE

Post by The TJT »

Star Fighter, such a disappointing name for the game.

When you download the rom and and launch the game you're expecting this...

Instead you get this...
Shahbaz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Shahbaz »

Pls make Sure Wolf, Star Fighter game is being played by IGBY Settings.? I just saw replays of some players. There is setting "Bonus Life = NONE" but all players are getting bunus life on 50k score.!!
Even 1st position holder played in illegal settings.

It is for just because i want to play this "Hard" game now in proper settings, because i am free now.

*Shahbaz
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Game is so shit no one noticed. Probably best to keep playing same with defaults of 1 extra life, though mine is set at 10K.
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

The_Pro wrote:Game is so shit no one noticed. Probably best to keep playing same with defaults of 1 extra life, though mine is set at 10K.
I discussed this with wolfman24 tonight. There is confusion because when the game was first added to MAME in .147 it had default settings of no extra lives so that is what is posted as the tournament settings in the rules for the game. However MAME corrected the incorrect default settings to be an extra at 10K in the .150 release.

However since the tournament rules clearly state to use settings of No Extra Lives, that is what all players should have been using. I checked all submitted inps/videos for Star Fighter and 10 of the 18 scores with inp/video evidence used no extra lives. The other 8 used an extra life at 10K. Of course for the scores with only a screenshot we can't tell what settings were used, but undoubtedly some of them also used an extra life at 10K.

To change the settings to an extra life at 10K ten days into the tournament would reward those that didn't follow the rules and penalize those that did. So it looks like the decision will be to remove the scores with replays that used an extra life at 10K and to post a reminder on the tournament site of the correct rules for the game that need to be used by all players and the difference from default MAME settings, and ask any players that played on the incorrect settings to replay their games and submit new scores.

MARP scores which would be affected are the current scores for BBH, RedStar, dan and Paolo. Several scores from other teams would also be affected. For those players don't be surprised if your current scores are removed from the scoreboard.

-George
Shahbaz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Shahbaz »

Finally after playing a lot of time i made a little score with proper settings (Bonus Life=None). And Congrats to BBH he got 1st with proper settings.

If Organizers remove the illegal scores (with 1 extra life) then BBH and me are on top in this game.

(it was my first submission in IGBY and i did not know to upload the score on site so i uploaded two times)
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

I worry for the mental health of people who picked this Star Fighter, seek help.
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
Shahbaz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Shahbaz »

The_Pro wrote:I worry for the mental health of people who picked this Star Fighter, seek help.
They picked this game for others Because they (GX) submitted only couple of scores.

By the way great "Pro Score" !! :)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

I'd like to think that someone accidentally nominated Star Fighter when they meant to nominate Star Force. They accidentally left both names in and voted for both because they weren't sure which was the good game.

That's the only other plausible theory in my mind, other than "make everyone suffer". I refuse to believe that anyone legitimately enjoys playing Star Fighter to the point where they think it would be good for a tournament.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

There's always some fan for every game, no matter how bad it is...

Maybe someone was stranded in a trailer park and the only game they had there was Star Fighter. Ah, the memories...

:)