puzzle madness

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

wolfman24
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

puzzle madness

Post by wolfman24 »

Puzzle Madness
Puzzle Madness, a contest that will pin some of the best puzzle players in the world in 6 games. Puzzle Madness will start at midnight est on april 1st and end at 11:59 pm est on the 11th. This will be the 1st wolf contest since wolf 4 in 2013 to require strong proof for score inp/ru/stream/ or video.

Date April 1st to April 11th

Other Rules:
INPs sent that will include use of macros, autofire, 2 players cooperation, altered speed, will be not considered. To be precise about recording speed, it must be included between 95% and 100~101%.
All scores require an inp, video or stream
-The score you claim must be done on the first credit of your inp recording. Failure to do so will result in your score being changed to what it was for the first credit.
-To encourage good sportsmanship, no recording can be uploaded 24 hours after you recorded it. If these periods are violated, then that person's score for that game will be changed to zero.
-No Autofire
No Pausing
If using an inp file can use one of the following: latest WolfMAME, WolfMAME .106, or RetroUprising

Scoring:
will be Ranking per game(on the site it shows % it should be changed soon)
we are working on bonus points for early submissions to prevent sandbagging

Adjudication – We understand different people have access to different equipment - both for broadcast/recording and gameplay (e.g arcade/MAME cabinets). Every score is subject to challenge / review, regardless of what forms of evidence is supplied. Therefore, it is in every player's best interest to provide as much evidence as possible.

http://tournaments.twingalaxies.com/#/e ... dness/main
wolfman24
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Re: puzzle madness

Post by wolfman24 »

game list
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rKF ... sp=sharing

also for latest wolfmame is wolfmame .171, don't use fast forward in mame, and there won't be a last quarter drop
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

wolfman24 wrote:also for latest wolfmame is wolfmame .171
0.172 should be out tomorrow.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Did you add new goodness in Wolf .172 we shouldn't pass up? The concern with switching is we already did play-testing, confirming default settings, and checking rom differences in .171, so wanted to lock things down on .171. But if there's some great new stuff in .172 maybe we can consider switching.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Main thing is the playback button in the UI, as far as anything WolfMAME specific stuff goes. Otherwise, there are also many core changes (mostly related to file handling), and HLSL stuff ported to BGFX (so it can be used on any OS). It's also the first GPL release (since somewhere in 0.2x range, at least).
- Barry Rodewald
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

I'm looking forward to trying the integer scaling feature now that ddraw is gone.
It's useful if you want to play rotated games on CRT displays with pixel perfect image and the proper refresh rate, e.g. to play Star Force rotated on 320x240 at 60 hz.

Anyway, I've put together my own MAME 0.170 version with GroovyMAME + WolfMAME patches just in case bgfx/d3d doesn't perform as well as ddraw :mrgreen:
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

0.172 is out now. Main features are: core rewrites related to file use (7zip support actually works from the file manager now), BGFX shader support (with HLSL shaders ported to it), first proper GPL release (except for a couple releases in the 0.2x region). And probably plenty more that I've forgotten. :)
- Barry Rodewald
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Eeeeh I've lost the tournament! :lol: 0 of 6 that I've already played in the past!
*sighs*

Also, little typo in the text, the BIOS is namcoc69 (not namboc69)
If you search by name, it's simply called "C69". (hence why I couldn't find anything under N)
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

mahlemiut wrote:
wolfman24 wrote:also for latest wolfmame is wolfmame .171
0.172 should be out tomorrow.
Wolfman's decided we're sticking with WolfMAME .171 for Puzzle Madness. So you can use WolfMAME .171, WolfMAME .106, or RetroUprising.

Mahlemiut (and the rest of MAMEdev), a huge thanks to all the work you guys do on MAME and WolfMAME! However, we didn't want to switch versions this close to the start of the tournament.

-George
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

giro-X wrote:
Eeeeh I've lost the tournament! :lol: 0 of 6 that I've already played in the past!
*sighs*
I wouldn't give up too quickly. I suspect most of the players haven't played any of the games before, or at most a couple of them, so the playing field should be pretty level for most folks, with the possible exception of a few people.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

I remember that Pnickies has been in a tourney a long time ago (fun game).
Doesn't logicpro involve a certain sort of leeching ?
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Phil Lamat wrote:I remember that Pnickies has been in a tourney a long time ago (fun game).
Doesn't logicpro involve a certain sort of leeching ?
Logic Pro (first chapter) had a particular score system that gave extra points for filling the time bar from almost empty to full. This doesn't happen in Pro 2.
I didn't explore it well enough yet, so I can't answer "fully".
wolfman24
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by wolfman24 »

puzzle madness has started good luck to everyone
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

I've signed up again (forgot my old password) but I don't manage to "submit score" (when clicking on it, no effect)
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

What browser are you using? For me sometimes I have problems with the site in Internet Explorer and it behaves better for me in Google Chrome.

Also note that late registration will be allowed until 11:59PM Eastern on April 2nd. If you want to register late you'll need to notify one of the coordinators (Wes Copeland, Wolf, Xelnia or myself) so we can have you manually added as a participant. No registrations will be accepted after 11:59PM Eastern on April 2nd.