igby 2016

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

wolfman24
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

igby 2016

Post by wolfman24 »

Internet Gaming Bash of the Year 2016

IGBY is returning in July. Players can sign up for the contest at tournaments.twingalaxies.com and pick what team they wish to play for. Who will win this time? Will it be one of the MARP teams or one of the newcomer teams such as Screenshotties or Virginiawillbehad?

1. - Selected games will be played for the entire five week period July 5th to August 2nd

2. - Each team sends in 2 Games. send your game selections to Wolf no later than June 23rd. Wolf will inform all sites of game selections upon receipt of selections. Should duplicate game selections be received, the team with the highest number of registered players will yield to the team with the smaller number of players. The smaller team will select another game. Wolf will advise of all details once final list of games have been posted. Once games are selected and posted by Wolf. Games will be played with default dip switches

3. - Auto fire is not allowed

4. - AdjudicationAll Submissions require inp, stream, video, or ru. If submitting inp must be wolfmame .106, latest wolfmame, or ru. if submitting a stream or video make an attempt to show dips and romset. Verifying scores each team will have 1 or 2 people reviewing scores for other teams

5. - Submissions: players should submit their scores via tournament.vg – as we want to maintain as live a scoreboard as possible, please submit early and often. Please do not hold on to score submissions. no recording can be uploaded 24 hours after you recorded it. If these periods are violated, then that person's score for that game will be disqualified.

6. - All games must be completed and submissions received no later than 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time on August 2nd. Any scores submitted after this time will not be valid. Again, submit early and often.

7. scoring will be Top 5 from each team per game will score points for their team.

8. Teams are required to have a minimum of 10 players. Any team that does not have 10 registered players by the beginning of the event will be required to be placed in a state of "partnership". This is essentially a merger of two teams. For example, if Team XYZ is partnered with DKF, then the two teams will become "DKF + XYZ", essentially working as one. It is the sole discretion of the event organizer (wolf) if and how partnerships will occur, but in the event they do occur, they will be engineered to ensure overall tournament-wide team balance.

9. Scoring is based on placement and top 5 per team score. 1st and 2nd get more points so if there are 50 scoring positions 1st gets 55 points and 2nd gets 53

10. Banned game list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: igby 2016

Post by The_Pro »

Shouldn't Turbo Outrun be banned instead of regular outrun?
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

I don't think the banned list has been updated yet to include the last IGBY
Andrew Barrow
OMG Kreygasm
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by OMG Kreygasm »

The_Pro wrote:Shouldn't Turbo Outrun be banned instead of regular outrun?
I think Outrun was also used in one of these (or a Yolympics) awhile back.
wolfman24
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by wolfman24 »

with how it looks like it will only be 7 teams we will switch to 3 games per team if we get more than 7 full teams then we will switch back to 2 only
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

A few problems...

1. I think IGBY should be in winter next year... around xmas holidays... the summer is too short to play whole month.

2. Odd that my paperboy score doesn't have that yellow "WR" status. I guess it's not yet confirmed at TG. TG submission procedure is PITA.

3. Suprmrio: Why the heck when I change keys ("this machine") in wolf175 some buttons work and some not? I suspect joystick keys conflict with it. How do I disable joystick? "-nojoy"? Or do I have to detach the joystick and does even that help. Anybody else have problems remapping keys in wolf175?
OMG Kreygasm
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by OMG Kreygasm »

The TJT wrote:
3. Suprmrio: Why the heck when I change keys ("this machine") in wolf175 some buttons work and some not? I suspect joystick keys conflict with it. How do I disable joystick? "-nojoy"? Or do I have to detach the joystick and does even that help. Anybody else have problems remapping keys in wolf175?
I'm not sure, I played it in 175 and mapped an NES USB controller to it without any issue.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

The TJT wrote:A few problems...

1. I think IGBY should be in winter next year... around xmas holidays... the summer is too short to play whole month.
the Yolympics usually already happen in January/February though. Makes more sense to space out month-long tourneys like this. Summer can cause some inconveniences what with people going on vacation and all, but... you can't run a tournament that's going to perfectly fit the schedules of 100+ people...
I ran into this problem too, turns out that for whatever reason the game reads the inputs that are set for both P1 and P2 at once. So if one button on P1 side is set to jump and that same button is set to run/fire on P2 side, then you'll always trigger both buttons at once whenever that button is pressed. Just unmap all the inputs on P2 side to fix this.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

BBH wrote: I ran into this problem too, turns out that for whatever reason the game reads the inputs that are set for both P1 and P2 at once. So if one button on P1 side is set to jump and that same button is set to run/fire on P2 side, then you'll always trigger both buttons at once whenever that button is pressed. Just unmap all the inputs on P2 side to fix this.
Thanks for the quick reply, you're a lifesaver.

Need to watch some replay... I remember nothing. :)
wolfman24
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by wolfman24 »

congrats to bbh and marp for 1st place again this year big thanks to all teams, players, and people that helped in this event
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Yea, congratulations to BBH and Zerstorung, so many highscores in so many titles!
And "great job" to us all, MARP wins. Again. =D>
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Congrats us. Never in doubt.

8)
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Congratulations to all of Team MARP for the team victory, and especially to BBH and Zerst for finishing 1st and 2nd in the individual standings! Well played by everyone.

I'd also like to congratulate Team DonkeyKongForum for a well fought second place!

Thanks to Wolfman and the other coordinators for putting IGBY 2016 together and to Wes Copeland for running the tournament site and continuing to make improvements to it.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Way to go MARP team! It wasn't a complete blowout like last year, DKF had a very strong team and was neck-and-neck for most of the competition, although we pushed ahead a bit near the end, but they had a lot of great players. Screenshotties seemed like a very strong team on paper too but their team participation was not as high as I expected it to be. Overall though I think the rule change to top 8 scores instead of top 5 definitely favored us because we had a lot of players on the MARP team, and we weren't "merged" with existing teams so everybody who signed up for MARP got to play for the team they wanted. There was some grumbling over people not happy with the team mergers and were expecting certain friends of theirs to be merged into their teams... if that's the case then maybe they should have signed up for the same team, I dunno...

Obviously I was very pleased with my performance in the individual rank too, although Zerst and TiF kept it close, as expected. serphintizer did awesome too for DKF. Can't believe I managed to finish in the overall top 8 for 17 of the 18 games.... fucking Block Out. I was barely holding on near the bottom for the team and then TRB knocked me out and took a lot of points from me, lol. I hate Block Out so much. After that happened I was so pissed off at the game I started looking for other places I could get points and ended up somehow getting 523k on Big Kong which was enough for 2nd place... still not sure how I managed that. I didn't put as much time into Ketsui as I wanted, even though I had 8th overall it was 6th place for the MARP team! Y'all killed it. Also getting a new PB on Armored Car for 1st was great too, and my MvC1 score was literally the first credit of the game that I played on stream, thought "ehh that's an ok score for now, maybe I'll improve it later" and I never did, lol.

I think it was great that the number of games was brought down from 28 to 18, but at the same time I understand why people complained about the gamelist. 3 fighting games and 3 beat-em-ups made for a little less variety in the gamelist. And two teams slipped in bootlegs of games that were already on the banned list (although I personally shouldn't complain about Big Kong now haha). I understand the need to maybe keep people in the dark about the gamelist so that people aren't practicing everything ahead of time, but having teams nominate games in secret can cause weird gamelists like this. I'm not really sure what the best solution here is, but...
OMG Kreygasm
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by OMG Kreygasm »

BBH wrote: And two teams slipped in bootlegs of games that were already on the banned list
Zero Time isn't a bootleg. It's an official European release in a dedicated cabinet with its own KLOV game entry. Similar to Crazy Kong.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... e_id=10529