Recording AVIs

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Recording AVIs

Post by Cicca »

Hi,
if there a chance to record IN-GAME an AVI video...?! I know there the chance to do it from the command line with the option -aviwrite <filename>, but this records the whole session, until you quit the game, and the option "Record Movie", by default activated/deactivated in-game with F12+MAISC, apparently records .MNG files only.....
Thanks for any hint....
Cicca
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Recording AVIs

Post by mahlemiut »

-aviwrite <filename>
or if you're using BGFX, -bgfx_avi_name <filename>

To keep the video as a specific resolution (ortherwise you'll have issues with systems that have variable resolutions), use -snapsize <width>x<height>. Output will be stretched/shrunk to fit.

Do note that AVIs are not encoded, and so, will be very large. You can always re-encode the video with avidemux or similar afterwards, however.

Code: Select all

-aviwrite            optional filename to write an AVI movie of the current session
-bgfx_avi_name       filename for BGFX output logging
-snapsize            specify snapshot/movie resolution (<width>x<height>) or 'auto' to use minimal size 
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

Thanks Barry, but it's not what I'm looking for...what I would like to do, is recording an .AVI video in-game (not since the beginning, with that command line option), just as I can record a .MNG video by pressing F12+MAIUSC to start and stop recording (as defined by default in "Input (General) / User Interface" menu)....any hint...?!
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Cicca,

You could try using Handbrake to transcode the .mng into a .avi afterwards. I've used Handbrake for lots of transcoding of things like videos we recorded of the kids when they were younger, but I can't definitively say if it will work for .mng format files though as I've never worked with them previously.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Alternative is to use external program like OBS studio.