EFnet

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

seymour
Site Admin

EFnet

Post by seymour »

Does anybody still read these forums?

EFnet has been splitting all day. A bunch of times before, there were attempts to move to a different network. I help run another small network, which would be good for #marp. If a server does split, it gets connected again right away. And it should accept people no matter what their hostname, or even if they have identd or not.

http://www.lazynet.org has a list of active servers. I have #marp registered there.

We should have a vote or something to dump EFnet (I can leave a bot or two there so people know we moved). In the past, all you guys have done was bitch about EFnet, and never actually got around to doing anything about it. Here's your chance.
Edit: The poll is now over, resulting in a 9-1 vote for moving to Lazynet (obviously).
Last edited by seymour on Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

I should make note that this poll expires in 3 weeks, on March 7th.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I could suggest Newnet (where I mostly idle on #cps2shock)... but that network splits as often as EFNet does. :roll:
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

aye. what sucks though, is that everybody complains about spawning a 2nd Mirc - which isn't the easiest thing to do, I'm sorry to say...
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

gameboy9 wrote: aye. what sucks though, is that everybody complains about spawning a 2nd Mirc - which isn't the easiest thing to do, I'm sorry to say...
Use mIRC 6.0 or 6.01, adds nice multi-server support.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Yeah, what Barry said :)

I think the vote to switch servers might go better this time, now that mIRC has nice multi-server support in 6.0/6.01 - plus we'll be able to get away from the horrible mess that is EFnet. If you were there earlier today, it would have been impossible to actually talk to anyone.
bmclean
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by bmclean »

I have no problem with moving #marp now. As seymour mentioned, the only issue I had was spawning a second client (I'm so lazy) and now with multi-server support, there's just no reason. Less splits, more idling! YES!
JLr-DF
Button Masher
Button Masher

Anwsering the Question

Post by JLr-DF »

I don´t know if it´s the right way but I vote yes to change the #marp for other net. but net split is normal in all nets around the world in weekends. In Brazil is normal net split in our net in weekend
I´ll make a question. Lazynet is a good net? I perfer net split than a bad net :D
Thanks all
JSW
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by JSW »

I'm for the move. Even though I'm not frequently on #marp, it's a real bitch trying to get onto any efnet server from australia ever since Telstra Efnet was pulled. So yeah let us move. And Seymour can you update the bot with my new address (I'm aka Medio) :)
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Oh......... well I didn't know that........

I've been shown once again! Oh well... it's always good to be unaware of things every ONCE in a while... :)
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

JSW wrote: And Seymour can you update the bot with my new address (I'm aka Medio) :)
Just let either myself or BenJos know when you're around. I haven't been around much lately, but if you leave me a message with your new hostmask, I'll get around to fixing it.

Although, once we move to Lazynet (it seems that most people are for it), NickServ/ChanServ will be used for those things. I'll still have a bot in the channel (on Lazynet) for announcing and stuff, of course.
seymour
Site Admin

Anwsering the Question

Post by seymour »

JLr-DF wrote: I don´t know if it´s the right way but I vote yes to change the #marp for other net. but net split is normal in all nets around the world in weekends. In Brazil is normal net split in our net in weekend
I´ll make a question. Lazynet is a good net? I perfer net split than a bad net :D
On the top of this page, you should have a Yes/No poll option. Just select Yes and submit the poll entry.

Lazynet is a small private network, that's been around for a while, and plans to stay around. We're just a bunch of EFnet people that got sick of the constant splits and other problems. :) Occasionally a server does split, due to normal net problems, but it generally comes back right away.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

guess it's time to DL the new mIRC...
Gamefreak
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Gamefreak »

i think its a good idea 8O
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson Nintendo Inc. 1989