ESP.RA.DE. Final Scoring - BBH

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

oh, so someone did find it. ^_^ That's cool. I gotta go watch it now! :)
gameguru
Button Masher
Button Masher

interesting ;-)

Post by gameguru »

Just watched this recording and I am sure that the player is just walking through the shots??

Looks like he can't die, or is it me?

Comments?

GG
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Well, it's actually a little bit of both. I believe Cave created the game so the ship will not explode unless hit towards the center. It would otherwise be impossible to survive on some of the bullet rounds that would be thrown at you. Also, this guy is quite an amazing player. Apparently, he keeps his cool, and has 100% concentration while playing. I believe it is completely skill, in a way he is walking through the bullets, but without getting hit. Like, let's say, on the final boss bee, if he was to move a milimeter incorrectly, he would be blown to bits.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

isn't there just a really small collision point so as long as your head doesn't get hit you're ok? it does seem like at certain times the shots conveniently miss him, but it could just be a tiny collision sprite.
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Cave's patented generous collision detection. :)

Come on, you need some advantage on these games.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

ahh, the infamous "Cave collision detection"

In pretty much every Cave shooter there is a much smaller collision box for the player compared to pretty much any other shooter. Sprites overlapping isn't enough to kill you. While I can't say with 100% certainity how big or where the collision box is located, it's to my understanding that in Dodonpachi the vulnerable box is around the cockpit area, on ESPRade your character is pretty much only vulnerable in the head. This player obviously knows the collision detection much better than me...

And it's obviously not an invincibility cheat, because if the .inp isn't played back with all its requirements (i.e. NVRAM), then he will start dying early on... if he was really invincible the bullets wouldn't faze him even if it went out of sync...
BBH
Editor

Re: ESP.RA.DE. Final Scoring - BBH

Post by BBH »

BUMP

I think I understand this now!
JoeyL21988 wrote:According to http://www4.big.or.jp/~hor/ , using Altavista's crappy translator, it states this:

When it clears, the bonus below enters.

Concerning remaining life one 1000000 points.
Concerning framework one of life 500000 points.
When you start the game, it displays the lives like this:

[*][*][*]

The asterisk is supposed to represent the heart. You get extras at 4 million, 8 million, plus the "hidden" 1-Up on Stage 4. So assuming you get all these without dying, the display will change to this:

[*][*][*][*][*][*]

Dying after this point will turn it to:

[*][*][*][*][*][ ]

So there's six boxes, but only five of them are filled. So, let's assume the game has started out, and you lose one of your lives before reaching 4 million. It'll change to:

[*][*][ ]

Then when you reach 4 million it again becomes

[*][*][*]

So no extra box is added.

Basically, the point is, to get a higher score you'll have to avoid dying until you have all the extras. If you get the maximum six boxes (well, maximum on default settings, anyway), you are guaranteed 3 million (500,000 * 6) if you finish the game. So on my most recent recording I got 3 million from the "framework" of lives, and 4 million for the remaining four lives. This makes sense.
Concerning stock several one of circles 3000 points.
Obviously, this is for every one of the "red circles". Generally, during the battle with the last boss one can get this number to go up to 400 or 500... having 500 would be worth 1.5 million.
Concerning guard barrier 1 memory 250 points. (At the time of full tank 1000000 points)
Simple enough, a full "energy" tank is worth 1 million. It's impossible to calculate how much you have on the fly, but I would guess this scenario would be true... having 3 lives in reserve and an empty tank would give the same bonus as having 2 lives in reserve and a full tank? (of course, dying takes away 100 red circles or so, so this wouldn't be feasible anyway)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Yea, I figured that out when I talked to Hisa. ^_^
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote:Yea, I figured that out when I talked to Hisa. ^_^
Gee, thanks a lot. :\

But I just thought I'd put the information out there for anybody else that might want to know.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

BBH wrote:Gee, thanks a lot. :\
Well, you are a smart guy, I knew you'd figure it out yourself eventually. :)

Edit: Sorry, I really should have posted it, instead of keeping it for myself.
Last edited by sikraiken on Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

BBH wrote: But I just thought I'd put the information out there for anybody else that might want to know.
maybe everyone know about it.
I already tell it. Box is maximum amount of life.(during game)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Novice wrote:
BBH wrote: But I just thought I'd put the information out there for anybody else that might want to know.
maybe everyone know about it.
I already tell it. Box is maximum amount of life.(during game)
Umm, yeah, isn't that what I just posted??

And you didn't mention a thing about it on this message board to everyone, so shut up asshat.
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Someone needs to shut the fuck up and get their asshat moving on that Quarth recording. :)
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Man, everyone is so brutal. :)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote:Man, everyone is so brutal. :)
some people bring these things upon themselves.

In other news, I submitted my score to some Japanese ranking page... yay, I'm 27th on the Yusuke Sagami list, 77th overall.

http://www16.cds.ne.jp/~anmitsu/score/esprade/

where do all the extra points come from...? secondary weapon only on bosses?