Golden Era Game of the Week

See introduction here

The Game: Slither

romname: slither

Screenshot:
Image(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $25 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: September 10, 2004 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounties:an additional $25 usd if the high score for the week exceeds my own submission, a further additional $50 usd if I cannot beat back such a score by December 1, 2004 (give me something to shoot for for a change :P )

The beauty of MAME.

I saw advertisements for this game when it was new, and being an avid Centipede player, I looked for it, but never found one. Never having had a Colecovision, I never would have played this game if not for MAME. I was a little disappointed at first, but it was different and, after a little practice I began to like it.

I had wanted to do a racing game this week, but the first two I tried to play, I was extremely unhappy with the controls. I settled on a third one, but I want another week to get familiar with it. (I had played it a little in the arcade, but the controls I have at home make it feel a lot different.)

Use WolfMAME .83 or .86
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

if you win are you going to pay yourself ? :)
-skito
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Weehawk, I see that you score is made with alphamame70. Why?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Weehawk, I see that you score is made with alphamame70. Why?
It was made a while back. I hadn't started using WolfMAME at that time.

I tried a couple of times to beat that score with Wolf83, but didn't.

Also: when you get to the CMOS error screen after startup, press "2" to continue.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

hmm interesting, so does that mean "wrx2" ringer inps can be used for gegotw as long as you ONLY submit the recording in the time period? i.e. you recorded it a long time ago but haven't uploaded to marp?
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:hmm interesting, so does that mean "wrx2" ringer inps can be used for gegotw as long as you ONLY submit the recording in the time period? i.e. you recorded it a long time ago but haven't uploaded to marp?
The inp I submitted would not be eligible for this week's bounty because it did not use WolfMAME .83 or .86, as required.

By requiring the most current version, long-term stored recordings would not be useful. Unfortunately, problems starting with MAME .84 have left me still wanting to allow .83, and of course on games affected by the .63 bug I have been allowing AlphaMAME .62 which does raise the possibility of old inps being used.

Bottom line: there is no time requirement on recordings used for GEGOTW, as long as the correct version of MAME is used and they are submitted to MARP during the week in question.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: Ian Sutton
2nd: diabolik
3rd: SJK

Interesting....

A couple of late submissions change everything.

I had felt pretty confident that in three months I could beat 168k, wouldn't even necessarily take much improvement, just a great game. To get 248, on the other hand, I'm afraid I'm going to have to raise my level of play a notch or two. Also I note from watching Ian that he pretty much stays in the center, whereas I have always tried to keep the left open as well. Hmmmm...

Also I see SJK sniped Don Hayes out of third place, thus protecting his lead in the cumulative totals:

http://www.gegotw.net/totals.html

And, while I'm on that subject, I'll go ahead and divulge that the reward for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the totals will be $500, $250, and $125 usd, respectively. The last week for this year will be the week ending Friday December 17. I thought about having some sort of playoff for the top several players, maybe next year if I decide to do something along these lines again in 2005. I may have bigger fish to fry. 8)
in his upload description Don Hayes wrote:I swear this game cheats.
Don't they all?

I'm trying to see what kind of one-man Millipede score I can come up with for the Advanced Deca. I feel like 99% of my deaths there are bogus. Don't guess you're hearing any footsteps yet. It was reported that in your TGTS record game you did 196k on your first life! 8O
John Cunningham (JTC)
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Don't they all?
Well....yes :) But this one seems worse than most. I can't count how many times I thought I shot something and then it killed me. I guess I'm too used to Centipede/Millipede where I can get extremely close to things before shooting them (and when I shoot them, they die!!)

I also noticed Ian staying towards the center (and keeping it quite clean, too). Excellent work!
I'm trying to see what kind of one-man Millipede score I can come up with for the Advanced Deca. I feel like 99% of my deaths there are bogus.
I'd be curious to hear what you get. You didn't submit scores during the first month so you aren't listed in the standings, and as I understand it, you are now ineligible so anything you submit will probably not be listed either.
Don't guess you're hearing any footsteps yet.
Never can tell, but I am very curious to see what other people will end up with for scores. I have a private prediction of what I think the highest score will be among the other ADeca competitors.
It was reported that in your TGTS record game you did 196k on your first life!
Correct (on an actual arcade machine with a real trackball!)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

RMRUZCEK wrote:Gamers must submit for both titles each month for five (5) months in order to qualify for the championship title and ranking.
So I wouldn't qualify for the chamionship, but still thought they might list me for the individual game.

Some of us just don't have any interest in playing Balcube or whatever. :?

I did 67k the other day. Figured with a month to try the most I could possibly do would be 100-120k. Not sure if I should bother now.

I gotta try to beat 248k on Slither. :P
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I didn't even know there was bounty for totals. How many points you get from 1st -3rd place? I guess it's too late to fight for totals win now....
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I thought about having some sort of playoff for the top several players, maybe next year if I decide to do something along these lines again in 2005. I may have bigger fish to fry.
Something wrong with my reading comprehension...
Will there be playoff at December or not?

...If so, how many will qualify?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

The TJT wrote:Something wrong with my reading comprehension...
Will there be playoff at December or not?
Not this year, no.
The TJT wrote:I didn't even know there was bounty for totals. How many points you get from 1st -3rd place? I guess it's too late to fight for totals win now....
Weehawk wrote:I may also choose to keep cumulative scores (probably a 10-7-5 point system for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd) and offer a grand prize for the highest point total at the end of the year. I'll post more info when I decide for sure.
Weehawk wrote:Reminder: I am keeping point totals, awarding 10-7-5 for the top three entries each week. There will be some sort of prize, probably for the top three, I just don't want to commit myself to specific amounts just yet. I'll try to make it interesting though.
And of course, the "Totals" page has been on gegotw.net since the first or second week.

I count 14 weeks left. That's a maximum of 140 points for someone. The leader currently has 81. Even people that have not previosly submitted a single entry have not been mathematically eliminated from contention yet.
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

OK...

Thanks, TJT
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

So I wouldn't qualify for the chamionship, but still thought they might list me for the individual game.
I'm not sure if they will list individual games scores for those who are no longer qualified. On the summary thread, it could be confusing to see scores that don't affect the final outcome.
Some of us just don't have any interest in playing Balcube or whatever.
I already told Robert via email that I hope I never have to play Balcube again :) For me, it's right up there with Ghosts and Goblins and Motorace USA.
I did 67k the other day. Figured with a month to try the most I could possibly do would be 100-120k. Not sure if I should bother now.
I hope you will make some more attempts. I think you can break 100K.
I gotta try to beat 248k on Slither.
Go for it!
Ian Sutton
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Ian Sutton »

I gotta try to beat 248k on Slither. :P
Do your worst! Or, er, good luck. :D It's definitely doable as I had several dopey deaths. Mostly from getting too greedy with Trogdor the Burninator.

Thanks again John.

(Edited for more dopiness)