See introduction here

The Game: QB3

romname: qb3

Screenshot:
Image(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $50 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: December 10, 2004 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounty: none

Didn't really play this one much, since it was announced ahead of time and some members were already so good at it.

I've been warned I should use the one hour time limit here.

Use WolfMAME .89
John Cunningham (JTC)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

ok Tommi, I want to see what you're capable of now ;)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Oh well... :oops:

I haven't been playing QB3 at all recently, have been a bit busy. Has been my plan all the time to master the game...I just sort of just got to thinking there's still time to learn the game, felt like it would take about week to master the game...and now it seems there's no time anymore...
I played couple of days when it was mamed, got little under 200k...with a save state that started at cube 6 with 2 men only.
Might still be able to master it, ummm...monday, not much time...tu-fri=4 days. Blah, I allways leave things to last minute, hehe.

Nice score, have to watch it soon, I assume you have samish tactics I had when playing...using dark(blind) side as an ally ;)
That's a quite target though to reach(1M).
I played one game earlier, with cheat: I got the impression that game gets harder so that at 1,5M points it's tough to rack up more men than loose. Might have been my imagination though, only loosing men to exhaustion. That game is quite cerebral killer.
I'll try at tuesday what I can do, but don't be pissing your pants about it :)
I like the fact you share your tactics at this point of week. Once again, well done Matt!!!

Tommi
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Ummm...one question:
Did you stop after one hour or could you have played on?
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

The TJT wrote:Ummm...one question:
Did you stop after one hour or could you have played on?
I really did run out of lives there... I was honestly trying to keep going as long as possible, but I was making too many mistakes near the end.

The game never really gets any harder, but I've noticed that the levels around 6-10 (including the "invisible" cube on 8) can be quite difficult... and they're repeated again 16 stages later (invisible cube on Cube 24). I dunno, that's where I seemed to be losing a lot of my lives.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Oookay.

I think cube 6 is hard and 10 is even harder. Those "all yellow" sides are hardest. 8 is a bit awkward because of invisibility. Sorry for not being able to give you opposition right now. I'll try at Tuesday and Wednesday, if I can move forward a bit with my unmad skillz...but if I can, then propably Ian can too :)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

heh, judging by Ian's scores on Black Widow and Krull, I'd be surprised if he can't last an hour on this game :P
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Looks like BBH's game scores about 1,079,000 at one hour. (138,600 frames at 38 fps)
John Cunningham (JTC)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Weehawk wrote:Looks like BBH's game scores about 1,079,000 at one hour. (138,600 frames at 38 fps)
what is the first frame to start counting from? When the first man fully appears on the screen, or...?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

BBH wrote:
Weehawk wrote:Looks like BBH's game scores about 1,079,000 at one hour. (138,600 frames at 38 fps)
what is the first frame to start counting from? When the first man fully appears on the screen, or...?
The start of the recording. So don't waste any time getting your credit and starting your game.

:lol:
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: BBH
2nd: Kasht

Looks like BBH's early submission scared everyone off.

And we begin to wind down...
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yeah i'm suprised even the great tommi couldn't throw something in. bbh once again shows the skills that proves he belongs up there amongst the superstars of gameplay. hats off.
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Congrats BBH. Thanks Chad :)
Yep, no doubt BBH scared competition 8)
I think he'd probably won with competition also, since 1 hour score improved a lot at last submission. And BBH's not bad at classic Robotron with mame diff either!

A bit disappointing that the game is marathonable...Well, it's a proto...but not far from complete game.
Wonder what is the most finished-touch-proto emulated in mame, I'd say Wizwarz has a good shot at that title.

Should play some easy-to-get clones now, I think I just dropped outside LB top 10, AAAArrrrrggghhhhh! :D
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

D'oh, I guess I shouldn't have submitted so early :( oh well, I'm not complaining :D
The TJT wrote: And BBH's not bad at classic Robotron with mame diff either!
I SHOULD be able to do better, but.... it's just so hard on MAME :( give me a regular cabinet and I'll marathon it.