Golden Era Game of the Week

See introduction here

The Game: Moon Patrol

romname: mpatrol

Screenshot:
Image(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $50 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: May 6, 2005 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounty: $250 (usd) for exceeding 740,070 points by July 31, 2005. This must be done using the TG settings - 5 men to start, only one extra at 10k)
Edit 5/7/05: The further bounty must be claimed using the "mpatrolw" ROMset for reasons explained in this thread.

Well, here's a real classic, but one that I never played much myself, and am not going to get the hang of in what little I played it this week.

And let's see if one of you maniacs can break the 23 year old record set by Eric Ginner in 1982. Note that the MAME default is an extra at 10k, 30k, and 50k. For the further bounty you will only get the extra at 10k, but you start with 5 instead of 3. And, in a special show of generosity for those interested in submitting to TG, I will allow the use of WolfMAME .78 for the further bounty only.

Use WolfMAME .95 for your submissions this week.
Last edited by Weehawk on Sat May 07, 2005 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Further Bounty: $250 (usd) for exceeding 740,070 points by July 31, 2005. This must be done using the TG settings - 3 men to start, only one extra at 10k)
Where are you reading that TG settings are only three men to start? I looked in the first edition of the record book, on Mark Longridge's site, and on the TG web site, and all three say TG settings are 5 men to start with 1 extra at 10K.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

dbh wrote:
Further Bounty: $250 (usd) for exceeding 740,070 points by July 31, 2005. This must be done using the TG settings - 3 men to start, only one extra at 10k)
Where are you reading that TG settings are only three men to start? I looked in the first edition of the record book, on Mark Longridge's site, and on the TG web site, and all three say TG settings are 5 men to start with 1 extra at 10K.
Should have been 5.

Edited.
John Cunningham (JTC)
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Ahh.. Moon Patrol! If I get some time this week I will practice this title. Real life (tm) is hectic though.. so I can't promise anything :( I will at least upload one score though.. to start the competition so to speak, even if it will probably be beaten very quick hehe.
QRS
sampras
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by sampras »

Hi John,
I've scored for the GEGOTW on moon patrol 258680, not uploaded on
MARP because my record is better.
Is it valid for the GEGOTW or not?

Thank you

Ciao Sampras
Attachments
kid_mpatrol_258680_wolf95.zip
(71.15 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Delete temporary your score form MARP and upload new score.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

sampras wrote:Hi John,
I've scored for the GEGOTW on moon patrol 258680, not uploaded on
MARP because my record is better.
Is it valid for the GEGOTW or not?
I've modified the original ground rule to make an allowance for the cumulative points, which were sort of added after the original rules were laid down.
Weehawk wrote:4) If you already have a recording submitted to MARP for the game, you are eligible for the contest only if you better your previous recording. This will help negate advantage held by those players, and encourage them to "raise the bar", which is sort of the whole point here.
(EDIT: If you wish to temporarily delete your previous score in order to play along during the week, you are welcome to. I will also consider such submissions valid for Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday bonus points and for the weekly 10-7-5 cumulative points, BUT TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE MONETARY PRIZE YOU MUST STILL BEAT YOUR PREVIOUS SCORE. Prize will otherwise go to the next higher scorer.)
As destructor suggests, you can temporarily delete your previous score if you wish to play along, but you will only be eligible for the monetary prize if you better your previous recording.
John Cunningham (JTC)
sampras
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by sampras »

OK,
thanks Des and John.

Ciao Sampras
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Weehawk wrote:4) If you already have a recording submitted to MARP for the game, you are eligible for the contest only if you better your previous recording. This will help negate advantage held by those players, and encourage them to "raise the bar", which is sort of the whole point here.
(EDIT: If you wish to temporarily delete your previous score in order to play along during the week, you are welcome to. I will also consider such submissions valid for Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday bonus points and for the weekly 10-7-5 cumulative points, BUT TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE MONETARY PRIZE YOU MUST STILL BEAT YOUR PREVIOUS SCORE. Prize will otherwise go to the next higher scorer.)
1. If I have score 1000pts on game "game" where is 100USD for win and I temporary delete 1000pts score and next at end of week I made score only 900pts and win all 6 bonus points (total 16) and second player made 800pts then who win 100USD? Me or second player?

2. In this moment I delete all my scores scores from MARP. On game "game" my score was 1000pts.(but now is 0). 2 weeks after delete score in GEGOTW is game "game" for 100USD. I made 900pts., second player made 800pts. Who win 100USD? Me or second player?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

1. If I have score 1000pts on game "game" where is 100USD for win and I temporary delete 1000pts score and next at end of week I made score only 900pts and win all 6 bonus points (total 16) and second player made 800pts then who win 100USD? Me or second player?
Second player, since you were not eligible because you did not exceed the 1000 point score that you had when the game was announced.
2. In this moment I delete all my scores scores from MARP. On game "game" my score was 1000pts.(but now is 0). 2 weeks after delete score in GEGOTW is game "game" for 100USD. I made 900pts., second player made 800pts. Who win 100USD? Me or second player?
You, because you had no score posted for the game when the challenge was announced.

Bear in mind, if I suspected a player was deleting good recordings just on the chance that they might be used for GEGOTW at some point, I could deliberately avoid those games, just out of spite.

8)
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Sampras takes Sunday's bonus points with an impressive early entry.

Could Eric Ginner's 23 year old record be in serious jeopardy?

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Next example.
3. I have score 1000pts on game "game" and recorded game time is 3 hours. For win is 100USD but game is limited to 1 hour. I temporary delete 1000pts score and next at end of week I made score only 500pts because 1001pts. is impossible to made in 1 hour and I win all 6 bonus points (total 16) and second player made 400pts then who win 100USD? Me or second player?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Next example.
3. I have score 1000pts on game "game" and recorded game time is 3 hours. For win is 100USD but game is limited to 1 hour. I temporary delete 1000pts score and next at end of week I made score only 500pts because 1001pts. is impossible to made in 1 hour and I win all 6 bonus points (total 16) and second player made 400pts then who win 100USD? Me or second player?
You.

If your previous submission was in excess of the time limit I often impose, it would not count against you, just as previous submissions on Mario Bros. made on lesser difficulty were not held against the players.

I'd also point out that the existence of a long game already at MARP would weigh against my decision to use that game for our challenge.
John Cunningham (JTC)
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

John, what´s the Eric Ginner´s hi-score?? More than 700.000 points?? I´ll the worst player on this game, but this time, I´ll try. ;)
Long life to good games
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

INNUENDO wrote:John, what´s the Eric Ginner´s hi-score?? More than 700.000 points?? I´ll the worst player on this game, but this time, I´ll try. ;)
John Cunningham (JTC)