Golden Era Game of the Week

See introduction here

The Game: Time Pilot

romname: timeplt

Screenshot:
Image(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $50 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: June 17, 2005 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounty: $150 (usd) for exceeding 2,000,000 (two million) points by September 15, 2005 under the same rules as this week's competition (see below)(Edited to increase bounty 6/22/05)

Another week sponsored by gastrainga (Zhorik in this forum)

Twin Galaxies is using this title for the Deca, but they chose to allow a technique by which a player may play infinitely (or almost so) ignoring the main enemy, the fighters, and collecting parachutes for points. George has responded by submitting an entry scoring over a million points without leaving the first level.

This was a cool game with sort of a novel theme, you battle against fighter planes from succeedingly later time periods, starting with World War I era biplanes, going through World War II era Mustang or Zero type planes, Viet Nam era helicopters, modern (in 1982) jet fighters, and futuristic (and still so) flying saucers.

The GameFaq is here:

http://members.aol.com/faqfinder/timepilot.txt

Some pretty good pages devoted to it:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... mepilo.htm

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~bevho ... epilot.htm

Legend has it that the creator, Yoshiki Okamoto, was under orders from his employer Konami to design a racing game while he was actually developing Time Pilot. It turned out to be a big hit for them, but he didn't stay in their employ much longer anyway.

Settings: Well, obviously we won't be using the same settings used in the Deca. George suggested, among other things, setting a limit on the number of lives and ranking entries by level reached. I hate not using the game's scoring system unless it's absolutely necessary, and I'd really like to see the game played the way (in my opinion) it was supposed to be played. Suggestions for setting easily abided-by rules to ensure this were not really explored well in the forum discussion, and I gave up. Rather than leave the matter to my own subjective judgement, I will impose an arbitrary time limit for completing each level. Even with my all-too-frequent deaths I have no trouble finishing all the levels in 5 or 6 thousand frames each. I will therefore require that every level be completed in 10,000 frames or less, counted from warp to destruction of the mothership. You may use F11 if you wish to watch your framecount while playing. It does not obscure the playing screen and does not appear to affect recording. If you fail to complete a level by the necessary frame your score, for GEGOTW eligibility, ends at that point. If you keep your top priority destroying the necessary fighters and killing the boss to end the level, the limit should not affect you at all. Use MAME default for difficulty and bonus settings.

Use WolfMAME .96 or .97

"On Deck" game: New York New York
Last edited by Weehawk on Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Converting this 10,000 frames into real time, is around how many seconds??? (PS.: Not tried this game still now)
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:Converting this 10,000 frames into real time, is around how many seconds??? (PS.: Not tried this game still now)
(10,000 frames) x (1 second/60 frames) = 166.67 seconds

about 2 minutes 47 seconds
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Sunday's bonus points to BeeJay.

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Also:

George has decided that he'd like to also offer prizes for 2nd and 3rd place this week, just to make things more interesting and encourage more competition.

2nd place this week will receive $15 (usd) and 3rd will get $10 (usd).

Have fun!
John Cunningham (JTC)
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Weehawk wrote:
TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:Converting this 10,000 frames into real time, is around how many seconds??? (PS.: Not tried this game still now)

Thanks... now I know how many fps is this game.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:
Weehawk wrote:

Thanks... now I know how many fps is this game.
It is on the game information screen, in case you ever want to know about another game.
Attachments
info.jpg
info.jpg (199.39 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
John Cunningham (JTC)
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

tHANK YOU again.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

John, one question about the rules. Since we've got a time limit, we're playing "anything goes" as long as you finish the level within the time limit, right? So you can slow play for parachutes or milk planes after the mothership comes out, as long as you finish in 10,000 frames?

-zhorik
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Zhorik wrote:John, one question about the rules. Since we've got a time limit, we're playing "anything goes" as long as you finish the level within the time limit, right? So you can slow play for parachutes or milk planes after the mothership comes out, as long as you finish in 10,000 frames?

-zhorik
For GEGOTW purposes, yes.

It may be possible that, even within the limits of 2:47 per level, some tactics might be judged to be in violation of MARP Rule 2h ("...you must keep moving to complete a level."). That would be for the membership/editors to decide.
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

it's exactly this type of limit on Time Pilot that makes the most sense to me...and that was discussed before the TG Board decided to do what they did...which really didn't address the leeching issue at all as George has proven.'

I tried reopening this can of worms a few months ago with no luck.

Perhaps with this GEGOTW I can try again.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

LN2 wrote:it's exactly this type of limit on Time Pilot that makes the most sense to me...and that was discussed before the TG Board decided to do what they did...which really didn't address the leeching issue at all as George has proven.'

I tried reopening this can of worms a few months ago with no luck.

Perhaps with this GEGOTW I can try again.
Even better, why don't you join the GEGOTW competition this week now that you have a PC? I think I remember reading on the TG forums that you were good at the game.

-zhorik
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Tuesday's bonus points to BeeJay as well.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Weehawk wrote:Tuesday's bonus points to BeeJay as well.
Thursday makes a clean sweep for Beejay.
John Cunningham (JTC)